Your game needs some updates

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
When starting the “Your game needs somte updates” dialog appears and does not go

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Start Fs2020

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Don’t know, before latest udpate

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

Moved to Community Support where this seems better placed.

Have you also had a look at the following? These seem similar:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/update-screen-cant-load-msfs/517611
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/what-is-this-screen/517237

I tried reproducing it on my PC and It didn’t reproduce

what are your specs?

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes, same issue

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

I recall some “hiccup” during last update, but it ran fine afterwards. Problem did not appear until this new splash screen.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

AMD X5900, 64GB, 2 GB SSD, GTX 3070 (no-TI), Thrustmaster Warthog, CH-ProPedals, FS2020 Deluxe - running in Windows 10, or better from time to time running in W10.
AVM Antivirus disabled

EXACTLY what I see this morning!
Sim is NOT starting anymore after the ‘Your game needs some updates’.
Guys, this is not the first time that people are locked out of this app that they paid for. It is getting really annoying !!!
I doubt that this has anything to do with the specs of the machine one is running. It is a SW that apparently doesn’t have any timeouts or error checks to prevent hang ups (I am doing automotive embedded SW and a thing like this results in expensive recalls!).
The interesting thing is that you can ‘launch’ the app now several times and see as many instances of the ‘Update screen’.
Since the app usually prevents several instances, it is clear that the app is actually NOT called by the updater. Somehow this requires an ‘OK’, ‘Abort’ or ‘Not now’ button’ so that at least a not updated sim can be started.
BTW, this is at least the fourth time that the update mechanism has been changed (probably more often but I haven’t noticed).
The one that worked the best for me was when it updated out of the sim itself. At least it provided the necessary feedback to the user that an update is in progress.
The true problem with the current issue is that there is no feedback/progress visible (maybe it does something in the background which takes forever but I can’t see any activity in the task manager; idle network, disk and controller).
This is the worst of behavior! It is like picking up a phone and listening to a dead line! There is a reason for the dial tone
feedback to the user that the system is somewhat alive. This updater does NOT provide such feedback (no reaction for the past 3 hours!!! At least it is NOT consuming any resources :wink: ).

Recall! Fix! Fast!

1 Like

Recall??? Dude,this issue occurred before
several forum solutions

I have seen those posting, and none of the “solutions” worked for me.

First time after restart (or if logged out of XBox app): error 0x80070057

Subsequent attempts from menu (or Live Tile): 2 updates, one with green line, one with grey line, both checked “Completed”, stops at that point.

Running from PowerShell as admin: works fine (no splash window).

Running from Menu (or Live Tile) as admin: works fine (no splash window).

Looks like the problem is in the new splash screen logic.

Thanks NotBoxx.
I tried the same solutions (from the other posts) and also the ones from the articles on the FS support site (resetting the Store and xbox app also on PC
).
NONE worked for me. Not even the admin start. So I am staring at the splash screen with the green and grey bar. Both with a check mark and no further progress.

So somebody thought it would be a great idea to introduce a new splash screen
Nice try.
And that CupOJello is commenting that there are plenty of ‘solutions’ previously discussed here is just proving the point
there are problems!
Those need to be fixed and afterwards being kept stable. Reintroducing the same symptoms over and over again doesn’t shine a good light on the ‘lessons learned’ at Asobo.
Other titles don’t have such problems every other month.

So if there is a working solution, everybody would appreciate an entry in the faq or on the support starting page (and I would not even mind the admin start even though running a sim with elevated rights should not be necessary).

Where? Couldn’t fin any

Have you reinstalled the game or did a restart

I am refusing to ‘re-install’ the app. Other than that I tried all solutions from here:

and here:

They are all pretty much revolving around resetting everything related to the xbox and store app
also on those with mixed success. I even did the resets and restarting via power shell. I am still not getting past the splash screen and the ‘Your game needs some updates’ pop up.

What a shame !!!

This is beyond frustrating because it hit me for the previous two updates already and the resetting of the store helped. Not this time

What kind of update is it when it requires an uninstall and reinstall of the entire app (let alone the long download time)? What else will be lost? Settings of the app for sure but also the achievements? Logbook? Paid add-on planes (Carenado Mooney)?

And then I need to do this with the next update in 3-4 weeks? C’mon

Honestly, this is more effort than a fresh install on a brand new machine!

1 Like

Might be your only option

Still nothing

So out of desperation I tried to ‘Manage’ the app within the Xbox app:

According to the version information, the latest update was installed this morning.
Starting the sim from the Xbox app delivers the same result and sticks on the splash screen. I didn’t expect anything different.

After that I even tried ‘Manage’ → Tab “Files” → ‘Verify and Repair’
(Despite my reluctance to lose anything from what the sim was yesterday night)

Restart of PC 

Launch of the sim

nothing! Same rotten splash screen!

To me it seems that things got ruined with the installation of this update and that a ‘verified’ installation is unable to launch.

What else to try ?

I mean, it is great that this community is trying hard to find ‘workarounds’ to keep the sim going but where are the MS and Asobo ‘creators’/‘makers’/‘engineers’ that are helping in this effort and eventually find and fix the root cause?

This problem is lurking around with every release for months and the official support site didn’t get further than summarizing what workarounds were effective so far?
Is it really the expectation that we (customers!) are continuing these ‘trial-and-error’ workarounds?
I want to use the sim to improve on my instrument flying skills, not to improve on my knowledge about how to reset other apps or to configure the sim again with every update.

Did I mention that this is frustrating? Good

I GOT THE SIM TO LAUNCH !!!

After trying everything else (as explained above), I was wondering what would happen if the ‘Digital Ownership’ is not on my computer anymore

Why did I go there? Because I saw that the version was still on 1.0.0.xxxx (can’t recall what it was but it was old).
So I decided to plunge into the abyss and uninstall that from the PC and give it a try. Turns out that it isn’t that easy to uninstall because it is not a stand alone app (even though it seems to be the case looking in the MS Store).

Alright, here is what I did

→ Settings → Apps → ‘Apps & features’.
Search for ‘simulator’ in the ‘App list’. Click on the ‘Advanced options’.

Scroll all the way to the bottom and you find this:

Click on ‘Uninstall’ (this will NOT uninstall the sim! Only the ‘Digital Ownership’ app!)

For me that was all I needed to do. No restart of the PC or anything.
Started the sim normally (no admin start or such; just clicking on the icon on the desktop).
It actually surprised me that this worked because there was no ‘Digital Ownership’ installed anymore but sim started up and installed the world update

So far I have NOT tried to shut down the sim and try to launch it again. Instead, I reinstalled the digital ownership component with the MS Store (while the sim was still running).
I guess the ultimate test will be to see if the sim is back to normal after a PC restart.

In short my steps:

• Uninstall “Digital Ownership” via the normal Windows Settings
  • (Select the app repair while you are in the settings)
  • Launch the sim (splash screen will log you in and launches the sim!)
  • Launch the MS Store and re-install “Digital Ownership”.

Again, this finally worked for me

1 Like

■■■■
 your post helped me
 got it running again

Indeed is has something to do with the License.
The license was not installed on my machine.

After downloading i could get past the loading screen
 now i am ready for the Fenix A320 :wink:

Topic closed as OP indicates a solution was found.