Aeroplane Heaven DC-3 for MSFS

Totally agree. It’s why I’ve held off on the last few from them.

Episodes of the show have been uploaded to Youtube if interested fwiw

1 Like

Burned twice by AH - will wait for some in-depth reviews before even thinking to buy something again.

5 Likes

The AH C140 is the only GA taildragger I fly. It is a fabulous little plane for putting around, low and slow. Price was very reasonable for what you get. The sound set isn’t the best, mostly because of the disparity between cockpit and external volume, but I rarely use the external camera so it’s all good. For me. :slight_smile:

I am quite looking forward to the DC-3, and I am cautiously optimistic. After the letdown with the Aerosoft Twin Otter I’m taking a “wait and see” approach with most third party developers at the moment. There have been too many sub-par releases as of late.

As a mentor of mine used to say, “Act in haste; repent in leisure.”

3 Likes

Don’t have it, but heard good things about it. But that’s the only one.

I have been taking this approach for a while now. Waiting for Twin Otter and will wait and see in case of any AH product.
There is really no way for me to get so hyped to buy it right away. At the beginning there were not many add-ons, I can understand rush decisions back then, but that is not the case anymore. We can be as picky as we want with new releases and vote with our wallets.

5 Likes

Well, that is something that they MUST get right. I don’t think there’s anything more distinctive about that ol’ bird from my childhood memories than the sound of those twin Wasps. I recently heard a PBY Catalina fly over in Hawaii, and it was very similar sounding.

Anyone else notice the PBY parked at YLRE? I wonder if anyone is modelling it…

1 Like

Lagaffe is working on an PBY:

1 Like

Thanks for the info, man.
Wasn’t aware of this, but after clicking the link you provided, I remember the site from FSX days.
If the PBY is anywhere close to the quality of their FSX Cessna C150s, then it will be a great one!

Without any pretension on my part, I would like it to be even better than the C150 TiBush … if Asobo decides to make some progress on its SDK.
Currently, and although the seaplane function is not yet available, I still managed to do “something” … Perhaps for very soon in a WIP version but usable on ground an on sea for firefighter operations.

I have his freeware Menestrel. Quite dome nice detail. Not up to MSFS standards yet but good freeware plane.

Hmm.
I wonder if Manfred Jahn/Jan Visser are interested in MSFS?

4 Likes

I wish they would. The VC my old friend Jan created was light years ahead of any other DC-3, free or commercial. Jan, if you read this, hope you are well, and hope you guys get your Bird in this sim.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, I read that Manfred Jahn won’t port his DC-3 to MSFS and won’t allow anyone else to do it. It’s the result of someboy illegally porting it and offering it for download before. I can’t find the source anymore - so again I’m not sure if this is 100% true.

I do hope he will change his mind.

I’m not sure that was the reason he ended development, though he was rightfully upset about it. It’s more that he’s simply retired from developing and won’t be doing any work on MSFS. I’m a minor member of his C-47 beta team and can confirm. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I’m hoping that PMDG will bring us Capt. Randazzo’s DC-3 at some future point.

@KJKerr - Jan can be found on the MSFS forum on Sim Outhouse and I’m sure he’d be glad to hear from you.

4 Likes

Well if for no other reason then, that’s enough for me to decide to keep my FSX loaded up and running. I actually enjoy flying Manfred’s DC-3 more than any of the highly rated A2A things.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.

1 Like

disagree, a2a had a much better realistic flight model.
but the dc-3 was great yes.

We’ll have to agree to disagree there. I was an A2A customer and community member for many years, and I found a lot to admire about them. But for me there was always something a bit “digital” about their flight models, where instead of smooth transitions, behavior sometimes switched on and off (I’m thinking of the T-6 as it moved into its slow approach and then landing and rollout phases). Their aircraft also seemed (to me) very twitchy in the pitch axis - common to all but especially notable in the Constellation.

What I’ve always liked about Alexander Metzger’s flight dynamics - he was responsible for the FDE on Manfred’s C-47 - is their “organic” quality - an intangible but distinct feeling of mass an inertia, like a physical object was moving in an air mass.

But there’s a subjective quality to these things, so there’s plenty of room for differences.

I will say that the flight dynamics on the AH DC-3 for P3D were quite good. There were other things that were quirky about it, like some parts of the startup sequence and their early insistence, later corrected, that the “hamburger door” be kept open for engine start (it was called the hamburger door for a reason).

If some of that can carry over to their MSFS version, I’ll be willing to take a look.

SO far as I can make out AH DC-3 could be out this month (March '22). Hoping for a C-47 variant.

This will be a day 1 purchase for me as I love flying it and rarely flew much else on previous MS flight sims. I’ve been MS flight simming since the 80’s so I’m old and easy to please :slight_smile: Take my money.