Alaska from ORBX still worth it with WU10?

Dear all
Did anyone do a comparison between the ORBX Alaska Mesh and the new WU10 USA data we get by default now?
Is there a real difference?
Meaning is the Alaska mod worth the money (still)?
Thanks a lot

In terms of elevation data I think they are similar. ORBX is 5m resolution. That´s maybe lower than WU10 in case the latest is 2m, which I can´t remember, but not that much noticeable to be honest even if that´s the case. And remember ORBX mesh comes with an extra airport for free: Juneau.

Cheers

Hmmm I don’t think the default MSFS2020 terrain in the USA is 2m…
Maybe in some small areas?
Or did they say where in World Update 10 the terrain got better?
I doubt it’s the whole US…
Maybe in Alaska?
I have no idea :confused:

I didn’t realize it came with PAJN. The product page doesn’t show any pictures though, does that give clues about the level of detail?

During the first minutes of this video you can see some of the airport details:

Cheers

1 Like

I did a flight from Anchorage to Fairbanks passing by Denali and what was there was pretty good. I added a Global mesh to P3D and it made a big difference, actually looked better in P3D. So I was going to get the Orbx Alaska Mesh and see. I am will to try it, It can’t hurt to try it. Mesh seems to really help at least with P3D. If Orbx comes with Juneau that is another good reason to get it

It IS better than the default mesh and also has the advantage of almost zero “morphing” but… It’s currently broken (as is their Himalayas mesh) They should not be selling it until it’s fixed.

PAJN is pretty good overall; only thing I don’t like about is that the static vehicles have 2D tires which look noticeably bad from some angles. It’s a ported P3D airport. Price is right, though, and it’s way better than stock.

I’ve flown in there for real a few times and all the details I remember feel good.

1 Like

Oh… really? Good to know.
Pretty unfair to sell it when it’s currently not working.

1 Like

How so? I have but not recently flown in Alaska.

Hi, the main problem with Alaska is photoscenery IMO. Many places are just awful :frowning:

1 Like

Broken in what way?

In the same way as all their other meshes after SU9. Elevation data is completely messed up in places.

NZ and Iceland have been fixed so far, still waiting for Himalayas/Asia mesh and Alaska to be fixed. Stuff like this in the Himalayas mesh is a good example Lukla airport with Himalaya mesh by orbx cause error in terrain near take off and landing zone

I don’t have specific examples to show for Alaska but saw some very odd stuff on a test flight after SU9 before I removed it.
EDIT: This sort of stuff… Valdez (PAVD), Alaska terrain bugs due to Orbx mesh

As they have fixed the other two I mentioned I have no doubt they are fixing the two remaining meshes. I still dont think they should be selling a broken product while they fix it, but for anyone who wants to take a punt they are on sale at a very good price.

1 Like

Ah I see, yeah that can interfere with scenery if things don’t match. :smiley:

I’ll wait until they release an update before I try that Washington->BC->Alaska series of hops I’ve been thinking of. :wink:

1 Like

The default Alaska mesh isn’t “bad” by any means so you can still enjoy your trip I’m sure :slight_smile:

The main problem with Alaska in the sim is the vast areas of terrible ground textures. Neither the data we have currently or the new Bing data or Google have good, consistent ground textures for the whole state. Asobo have a big job on their hands to properly improve Alaska. It’s a real shame as Alaska was one of my favorite places to fly in previous sims, but it’s a bit of a mess here.

4 Likes

The guy doing the meshes sold via Orbx is Ukrainian, so I think we need to have some patience. He was working on a Andes/South American mesh, but he has been busy with other things since February, unfortunately.

2 Likes