Always a new bug

It’s unbelievable how there’s always a bug in MSFS. I’ve had all kind of different bugs, no connection while my internet is working, aircraft glued to the ground, those horrible giant messages at the center of the screen in the midle of the flight saying I lost connection while my internet is perfectly fine, A TON OF CTD (basically one every two flights), dozen of times my configurations reseted and now it won’t even load the flight, all of that after I spent hundreds of dollars at their marketplace and only use official third party addons. I really hope they do a better job at MSFS 2024, because I’m sick of all these bugs.

8 Likes

I fire up MSFS every week or so, let it update if it needs to, then start it to see if it works.

It doesn’t, so I return a few weeks extra later each time, until one day I won’t do it anymore.

Then I come here to see if anyone has still got it to work. Some do, some don’t.

Rinse and repeat, until one day I realise it is there taking up disk space and is removed.

1 Like

I guess something you don’t want to hear, but have you tried without the tons of thirdparty addons?

2 Likes

I can’t wrap my head around “Why…?” MicroSobo (both companies) cannot or did not make a “install stand alone” version of MSFS 2020 for Simmers who don’t want all the extra stuff that they are trying to cram into this SIM. A stand alone version of MSFS with no server connection dependency would be a good marketing idea. IMO

Because the standards of scenery etc that MS insisted on can only come from an on-line source.

Unless you’ve got several petabytes of storage of course.

There’s also things like Live Weather, multiplayer etc, all features that were promulgated right at the start (we’ll ignore for now how well or not these actually perform 'coz that’s another thread).
Have you actually tried switching to off-line after loading the sim (General Options) and seeing the result? In all honesty I think you’d be better off using one of the other stand-alone flightsims that are out there. Just my opinion of course.

It’s unbelievable how there’s always a bug in MSFS - for some people!

You probably don’t want to hear this but there are thousands, probably millions of users out here flying happily every day, problem free. If there wasn’t, a company such as MS would surely be slated left right and centre by the worlds journalists, Utubers, Facebookers etc.

If things are so bad for you the problem MUST lie within your setup. There are any number of reasons why things don’t work but given what I’ve already said, it can’t ALL be down to MS/Asobo.

And I’m not a “fanboy” either so don’t go there! I’ve had my share of problems and managed to sort them out, often with help from other subscribers. Yes, there are still a number of shortcomings and I get as frustrated as everybody else, but they don’t stop me enjoying the MSFS experience.

1 Like

I’ve walked away from MSFS for the interim but I’m staying active in the forum to keep up to date until I come back. Some days I just don’t know why I bother, with all the bugs and issues (as per the forum). It is what it is I guess.

2 Likes

Just four (rather significant) issues where the problem absolutely does not lie within the users’ setup.

Users have, and will continue to have, problems caused by themselves (e.g. bad PC configs, poor upkeep of mods, etc.). Yet, there are some serious bugs still in the sim. This is a combination which significantly increases the likelihood of flight simmers encountering problems.

1 Like

Not sure how you can say the problem “absolutely” does not lie within the users’ setup.

Gonna stick my neck out here and suggest all four of those problems point directly at an internet connection, be it slow, erratic or plain poor. It doesn’t matter what speed the connection is supposed to be or even if it’s fibre or old-fashioned copper wire. If there’s a dodgy connection somewhere you’re bound to get problems.

My next step would be to have the line tested - your supplier should be able to do this quickly and easily. I was having speed problems and eventually the road was dug up and a new cable laid. No problems since.

I take it you missed Bing terrain data going offline for several hours – an issue on the server side?

I get that users are often the cause their own problems, but you appear to be leaning hard into the source of faults having little to do with Asobo/Microsoft.

I listed four issues where significant testing has been confirmed as reproducible by hundreds of flight simmers.

1 Like

If we just use common sense, without even going into the technical reasons behind issues, why has then Asobo logged, fixed and included descriptions of errors in the release notes of 13 SUs so far? It´s 3 years after release. We all know this game and it´s official content is full of a significant amount of bugs. We also know when server issues happen because they are simply reproduced worldwide, not on a city only or at a particular time of day. It´s hard to believe that all those problems are caused by users setups, mainly when we have consoles and PCs failing at the same time and with exactly the same failing behaviour or error code.

Cheers

Fed Up with Bugs - Simplification Needed.
I sympathise with the above postings regarding the complexity and difficulties of MSFS.
I try almost daily to operate basic flights with it. No matter how many times I delete and create new control profiles I cannot get MSFS to work properly, particularly Camera views with the Keyboard. I am now at a point of high frustration and feel like abandoning MSFS and looking for an alternative.
It’s not as if I’m a newcomer to Flight Simulation - I have used several different Sims since the mid '90s, all of which I found reasonably intuitive and satisfying (for their era).
With the advances in computer/simulator technology opportunities for really wonderful simulation have arisen, and there is no doubt that MSFS’s developers have done an excellent job with aircraft, weather, scenery and graphics but I feel that those developers have failed to understand the deficits in their creation, that is:
Poor Accessibility.
I accept that the thought processes of developers are different to those of many of us users. What they see as innovative, and straightforward can be a mystery to us The experience I have had with MSFS is that it is often illogical, unstable and unpredictable in its behaviour.
I can bind 10 keyboard settings for (e.g.) camera views and 7 will work perfectly but, no matter what I do, the others fail to obey. Bound controls will work with the same plane in one flight but not the next. My aircraft will operate from the cockpit, but if I go to external view they freeze, requiring a restart. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. I spend more time struggling with the sim than I do flying.
In FSX or DCS World these problems disappear because their developers understood that there is no need to continually re-invent the wheel. More is not necessarily better. Their users do not have to waste time grappling with all the complications that go with too many bells & whistles and the programs are stable.
The following is my idea of some basic qualities that make for a good, useable, flight simulator:

• MSFS-style internal & external graphics.
  • MSFS - style World Map & scenery.
  • An FSX -style map - based flightplan function which
    will have a “ruler” facility (like Google Earth) allowing calculation of distances. The plans should easily load into an aircraft’s FMS, (even with the sacrifice of some realism- e.g. the pre-programming of the FMS.)
  • An intuitive Controls Setting system which allows bindings to simply be set, saved and edited for each aircraft. I.e instead of having multiple aircraft programs within each peripheral, (as in MSFS) just have each singular function of the peripherals assigned to the appropriate control of each aircraft. ( An excellent example of what I mean is found in DCS World).
  • FSX and/or DCS - style camera views limited to cockpit, chase, fly- by and tower views, all pan-able and zoom-able. (No drone unless it can be vastly simplified from the MSFS model.)
  • A moving cockpit map of the aircraft along the flightplan.
  • MSFS-style ATC utilising optional co-pilot assistance.
  • A simplified Mission Editor allowing object placement on the map utilising the static objects found in the SDK, with the ability to adjust object height and orientation.

The above points for the most part advocate simplification. They are neither novel nor exhaustive, and I know that some will disagree with them.
That is welcome. We need ideas and opinions to help developers understand what the majority of customers want. That’s partly why we have forums.
Regards to all,
Peter.