- Everything works as it should and with dlss 4 it looks great in vr.
original post remove, because external link doesnt exist anymore
I’m sticking with 2020 for the foreseeable future. When 24 was first announced I made the decision not to move over until it was demonstrably bug free (ish) and offered significant improvement for my low and slow flying. Also, whatever it was like at the start, not to jump ship for at least a year. TBH, career mode, driving trucks, walking through terminal buildings etc is all nonsense and I neither need nor want any of them. It seems that the irksome things like rubbish ATC, aircraft trim functionality and other odd flight model idiosyncracies, et al have not been addressed so I ask myself - why? So far I haven’t even been tempted to look at it, although I am keeping an eye on system specs.
Yes back to 2020 to purchase and enjoy the Piaggio P180.
Good to forget the many VR related 2024 problems for now.
Many trouble free VR flights in the amazing P180 yesterday a welcome change from the 2024 frustrations.
To right. On Xbox 2020 runs as smooth as silk, all the aircraft work properly. Now having fun hanging weapons off aircraft and this point I have no interest in 2024 with it’s bugs
I stopped using FS2024 until it is “fixed”. I go back once in a while to see if it has been fixed and then go back to FS2020. Maybe by summer??? One can only hope.
I had a pretty decent computer (for the time) when FSX came out. But it still ran pretty poorly. I went back to FS9. I waited a decade before trying it again. Then it ran well and I used it up to last year because I was so used to it and it ran like butter. I was reluctant and lazy about learning something new and way more complex (real).
Now I am hooked on 2020. I do NOT have a state of the art computer. It’s 2 to 3 years old and the only thing I did was add RAM.
3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 5500
32 DB Ram
AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT [Display adapter]
Great internet service (not that I need it for 2020)
1 TB SSD I put all my sim stuff on.
2020 runs great. I haven’t checked FPS much but, from the eye test (the thing that matters most), it has no stutters or noticeable slowdowns, so it must be at least 25-30FPS even in dense areas. I have a few ORBX addons and even on those I see very inperceptable FPS hits.
So I have no “need” for 2024 though I really would like to see the added detail, but not after reading this forum. Literally 95% of the posts are negative.
My biggest concern is that MS/Asobo. who obviously want to fix 2024, will no longer work on 2020. Other developers as well. That is where I feel burned.
I can’t say I’ve noticed that issue with the sound, but that may be because I’m not looking for it since I’m talking when I open the mic.
FS2020 for airliners such as pmdg and more IFR flying.
FS2024 for helicopters and all kinds of VFR flying, just better in FS2024 for that.
Staying with 2020 for the foreseeable future.
Seeing the hundreds upon hundreds of negative posts about 2024 is enough to keep me at bay.
Also, I only have an RTX3060 gpu so don’t want to have to upgrade my computer, especially when I am still in the process of acquiring the peripherals I need. Like a yoke ( on the way from Virpil) some sort of panels and a decent chair.
I am using 2024, I do like the quicker loading times.
I honestly wonder if the graphics are better though, the rain effects were so good in 2020, surely they would be even better for 2024. But they seem to be far worse and even in a thunderstorm I really feel immersion is lost. I mainly fly round rainy places so I experience this a lot.
I’m sticking with 2020 because at the moment, my favourite add-ons are not yet available for 2024 and it runs great on my AMDr9-3900x/Nvidia 2080s setup. I have some doubts how my setup would run on 2024.
I plan to upgrade my system in a year, so maybe I will re-look at how 2024 is going.
I’m in no hurry to switch to 2024, especially after daily reading all the negative posts in the forum. When things smooth out and add-ons are available, I might start thinking about moving over.
I have had 24 PD on preorder, waited a couple weeks to install it, uninstalled it a couple weeks later and haven’t been for want of anything. I keep adding and tweaking 2024 and everything works. Pick 1/100 aircraft, pick a place, set up weather, traffic, and away you go and everything’s beautiful and running like butter. Can’t make wheel tracks in grass, but whatever. $129, but it’s going to take a LOT for me to to it. And I may only go into it for helis, sailplanes, special aircraft like ultralights and ag work, and bush flying. For structured flying or IFR, why even bother giving up the countless hours and nearly limitless working add-ons in 2020.
To be honest, the more I poke my head in at 24 scuttlebutt, the more I’m seeing it as like a future game I want to play, but for only the pretty stuff down low, about the only place 2020 is tech limited. I only do GA and up to executive jets though, tubing ain’t my bag.
-
performance (fps) is worse on my machine
I think 2024 is more optimized and in my case (6800XT) it seems to be doing much better GPU utilization (above 95% all the time), but there can be exceptions. The difference in fps is not that great anyway and I can’t judge if I haven’t tested 2024 in heavy 3rd party airports with 3rd party traffic using heavy 3rd party aircraft (such as the PMDG). -
although landscapes aren’t any better overall, especially while in the air
At this point I’d argue landscapes and graphics are the least of many simmers worries, especially those who aren’t doing 1000’ VFR flights all the time. 2020 was good enough, perhaps 2024 is slightly better but things like sky color, super-vibrant/unrealistic colors, night bloom on displays and general super brightness destroy everything. -
UX is WAY worse
…or a disaster. It looks like as if it was designed from the ground up to appeal to gamers and casual console users. -
ATC isn’t any better
No idea, I’m not going anywhere near this thing. Default ATC was, is and will always be a joke. Pressing predefined choices 1, 2, 3 isn’t “ATC”. Those who want to have some proper ATC have to pick between SayIntentions.AI (personal favorite), BATC or VATSIM and the like (the latter for limited area coverage but once you’re in that area it offers the ultimate experience). Even Pilot2ATC (a bit outdated in some areas) is still light years ahead of default ATC. -
immersion isn’t any better
No, it’s not. Period. On the contrary, it has so many issues still that it breaks immersion every few minutes. -
idea of streaming almost all content isn’t any better
It’s nice to have such a light client and to generally much quicker loading times (especially in cached areas) but so far the cons seem to outweigh the pros, because streaming and encryption seem to cause so many issues to 3rd party developers. Issues that weren’t there in 2020, so they solved a couple of issues but created many new ones. If some of my favorite aircraft (such as the C172 WBsim) can’t be ported to 2024 because of streaming/encryption, then I don’t care one bit about 2024. I’m not using either sim because of its default (read: INOP) aircraft. I want only the high quality 3rd party study level stuff. -
just see no reason at all to use fs24
I’m under the impression most people are using 2024 either because of Career (personally got bored of it after a dozen of flights or so and went back to OnAir Company and other career addons), or because of generally better graphics in low VFR flights.
I’m pretty deeply invested into the 2020 ecosystem. I’ll change over when 2024 is a fuIly functional program. At the moment there are still many missing pieces and parts. I was an early adopter of 2024, thinking it was a revolutionary upgrade, only to find out it required everyone to be a BETA tester, and not a legitimate program. I’m happy with the way 2020 and will keep it until they break it, or something better comes along.
Same here. I own both but using vr im rarely using 2024. Its still a mess.
Yep FS2020 only and VR only. I refunded early and will.probably give it another go with SU02.
I have both, but at the moment I only use 2020 because I fly the 777 95% of the time. I fire 2024 up occasionally just to keep it updated, and to get used to the menu and controls system. Visually 2024 is a bit better I think when there aren’t streaming problems, but there are issues with it that for ‘ME’ make it unplayable at the moment. Hopefully by the end of the year I’ll be able to switch to 2024.
Have a long queue of aircraft to try on in FS2020, most of them not currently compatible with FS2024, so maybe I’ll be purchasing FS2024 not before June this year. Hopefully at that time FS2024 is already stable.
What disturbs me so much is that MS is delaying everything related to the support and promissed updates for FS2020 to favor of the new sim. Two examples: Sim Update 15 and World Update 19.
That’s why I had never wasted my time watching those unuseful MS/Asobo Development Updates that are continually missing the expected release dates and solutions to existing bugs.