Anyone figure out how to force MSFS to use more RAM?

To late I have already notified MSPD and they have a crack team on their way now to arrest him, and place him into Uncle Bill’s Work Farm. There’s a reason Mr. Gates the most farmlands in the US you know…

1 Like

I personally do not care if this sim takes 50 MB of ram or 50 GB, as long as it performs good. Or do you think this pop in stuff is caused by CPU memory, because that and only some minor lightning effect is the only downgrade I see so far for SU5. And the loading times drastically have improved, you are in 1 second back to the main menu. Awesome!

1 Like

Unfortunately, people have this idea that utilizing ram is bad, so Asobo now aggressively frees memory buffers at the cost of performance and fewer things are cached in memory during loading. So we now get faster load times at the cost of potentially more stutters and pop ins during gameplay.

1 Like

Exactly. Same with GPU usage. I want my GPU at 100 % when needed and all 64 GB of my RAM used, when needed.

Cool I’ll sell ya my 1080 ti when running the game it runs a steady 99-100% @ 82c. Its running at its maximum performance level. Lets see whats it worth, what are they getting for 3080’s now adays…

Agreed. I would also have been ok with them coming out and saying that they needed to get the Xbox launch out of the way completely and therefore SU5 for PC launch was cancelled…

Your before and after comparison shows that SU5 had delivered performance improvements, right? Why do you say there is poor memory utilization? Isn’t using less memory better?

Not always, and not in games. The efficient use of RAM enables the game to play smoother, load scenes faster and show more detail. That is why more RAM is always better than less RAM.

Optimizing RAM usage is not about using less RAM, it is about using the availible RAM efficiently. If MSFS would use my 64 GB of RAM, the terrain wouldn’t have to pop in as much, it wouldn’t stutter when panning, and the airports could be pre-rendered allowing for smoother approaches.

I admit that they have gotten it pretty good to only be using 7 GB RAM, but think how much better it could be. Same goes for VRAM.

5 Likes

I figured out how to force MSFS to use more RAM. I changed MSFS cockpit view to windowed mode. Next I popped out the PFD and MFD into their own windows. RAM memory filled to 99%. Frame rate went to less than 1 FPS. It took several minutes to kill MSFS because the entire system became very slow and unresponsive.

???

How can using less RAM then you have available possibly be better ?

That is sort of like your boss halving your pay packet and when you complain he tells you “but isn’t living on less money better?” .

1 Like

Interesting video, definitely underlining how much they have changed (and not just optimised) the base sim. Although they previously claimed not to have compromised visual quality, I think they were not being quite honest - this was referred to as a “last resort” in the video, rather than a definite line in the sand.

Most interesting to me was the “optimisation” of the trees. My bugbear at the moment is the poor rendition of trees, compared for example to any adjacent grass, which appears to have been left untouched. This is one area where there is an obvious degradation.

On the subject of the opimisation of VRAM and RAM: I’ve only got 4Gb of VRAM, and that is (and always has been) close to the maximum usage. On the other hand, the amount of RAM usage in the sim for me (and it seems everyone else) is about 7Gb, even though I’ve got 64Gb total available. My usage used to be rather higher before SU5, more like 11Gb. It seems their effort has gone more into limiting this, and they make no secret of the need to fit it to work well in an XBox. They were working to a demanding deadline with the XBox release, so probably decided to use the code that “works” for XBox in the PC as well.

Now that they are fully aware of the backlash from PC users, and with no deadline to meet, I hope they will add the code necessary to take advantage of the extra RAM available to many users and revert the degradation in visual quality. They can do this without compromising the XBox performance, so they have no excuses.

2 Likes

The thing that concerns me as a mostly VR player is they are going to be 99% focused on sorting the Xbox bugs for the new release and not pc

3 Likes

Probably yes, they know what happend with Cyberpunk :wink:

1 Like

Because its more a kin of having the choice of 2 cars, both are equally nice and performance is close in both cars, but car a gets 20 mpg and car b gets 32 mpg. Hmmm which car should I buy.

nobody will know… nobody…
marketing statement over and over, but to get hit by the bitter truth and seeing 64gb Ram being used like i could sell 48 of it…

So when Asobo decided to make FS2020 work with the lowly X-Box, with limited RAM and GPU, they killed it for those of us who put some big bucks into 32/64 Gb of fast RAM and a GPU with 11 Gb. Well, that just frosts me! It looks like it may be time to take a break from FS2020 and get back to my other gaming.

Will someone wake me up when Asobo fixes this?

3 Likes

I see your point, but I think most people reporting these issues do see a difference in performance (LOD, pop-ins, etc.). So it’s not really a matter of efficiency (like mpg) but a matter of the update not allowing their systems to use their full capacity.

For me, I think the better car comparison is that SU5 looks at your high-performance vehicle and says, “Nah, you don’t need all that horsepower. We’re gonna cap it off at a fraction of what you’re capable of since that’s what this other car uses.”

And we’re not just driving down the street with a program like MSFS. This is a major league race we’re talking about here, and high-end PC users are now restricted to operate at much lower levels.

I like the boosts in fps I’ve personally seen and that some of the visuals have improved on my not-quite-mid-range rig. But there are lots of other issues that show up that could be solved by not limiting the RAM our systems use.**

(Full disclosure: I know next to nothing about cars, so forgive any weakness in the analogies.)**

3 Likes

I am not sure exactly why but somehow my system has broken through any memory/VRAM limitations. I have read many posts about the memory limitations and I am very concerned that SU5 and/or the hotfix didn’t install correctly due to 3 CTDs during the installs or there might be a memory leak that needs to be fixed.

I haven’t reported this to ZenDesk yet…

That don’t look like the dev mode FPS window to me at all?

1 Like

Deleted by author.