Bad performance (Low FPS) with World Update 3 and new London photogrammetry - possible memory leaks

I don’t know why, but I’m glad you’re asking!

You just need to enable Developer mode and navigate in the View menu. I’ll update this post later with the exact label if you don’t find it.

I can see indeed poorly optimized polygons leading to displaying more than necessary in general, more than necessary even more in the distance, and other errors related to flatness indeed.

What I really don’t get at all with FS2020 3D modeling and optimizations, is that Microsoft has purchased a company specialized in this tech and they are not using it for FS2020.

The company is Simplygon and I’ve already mentioned it in a few posts:

LOD problems - Trees Fix Revisited - #92 by CptLucky8

Landmarks shifting up and down + Half of them not loading correctly (still not fixed in 1.13.16.0) - #42

With Simplygon they could in theory among other things:

• Reduce LOD model complexity while PRESERVING the overall shape (aka anti melted buildings)
  • Generate impostors in the distance preserving details and transparency.
  • Automatically bake AO in the cockpit and save pixel shader resources for the rest.
  • And much more.

I’ve no doubt Asobo’s engine is already doing some of these things, but there are definitely cases we can see in the game where the mesh and polygons could benefit more from this technology (on paper at least, maybe it is not this much effective in practice).

PS: don’t miss PG mesh holes as well:
[World Update 3] London Photogrammetry Mesh Holes

1 Like