[BUG LOGGED] No AA Anymore On Menus in VR?

No AA anymore in menus in VR? (logged by @TheRealOli4D)

Since yesterdays Sim Update 5, the menues in flight (ATC windows, weather window, etc. have no AA anymore. They are very pixelated and fliker.
The rest (cockpit and landscape) are fine. It’s these windows only.
Anyone else having this issue?
You can read the windows… but without AA they are very jagged and more anoyingly: flickering.

AA downgrade since SU5 (logged by @japayannick)

This is a separate issue from the AA VR menus issue, concerning in-game AA. On my setup (Fresh install of MSFS post hotfix, no add-ons, no dev mode, 5800X/32GB/RTX3080Ti), I tried with multiple different settings, in particular different render resolutions (low and high) and different Nvidia Control Panel settings (including the default settings), on two different headsets (Oculus Quest 2 via Oculus Link and via Virtual Desktop, as well as HP Reverb G2). Note that for all tests, I had reflections set to OFF, as reflections have their own issues in VR. AA was always set to TAA for these tests.

Starting with the same settings I had in SU4, I can see that thin (antennas, towers, etc.) or high contrast objects (shorelines, buildings) are much more jagged than they were in SU4, and the aliasing of these objects moves as point of view moves, causing visible shimmering on sharp borders. Sometimes thin objects can even end up being either a jagged, shimmering blob (ILS antennas), or even just transparent/not appearing.

While this happens in pretty much any scenario and lighting conditions, it is very visible in the Rio Landing Challenge, in particular:
When the Rio landing challenge starts

• buildings in the sun are shimmering due to the antialiasing (to the left, close to us)
  • the bridge crossing the bay is a shimmering jagged mess especially in the sun
  • some of the shore line decks and peers are the same
  • The white bars at the top of the glass cockpit display (within the display) are jagged, shimmering as I move my head

When turning on final

• to my left there is an orange-ish building (right in front of a peer) is a shimmering mess, I can infer it’s supposed to have lots of horizontal lines/window rows, but all I see are jagged lines shimmering diagonally, like moiré
  • the peninsula covered in trees front left of the runway is a jagged, shimmering mess until I get closer
  • The bridge to the left of the runway, crossing to the mainland is a jagged shimmering mess
  • The coastline beyond the airport and to the left is a very aliased line (not so shimmering)
  • The small oval shaped island on the left of the runway is very thing with perspective, and appears jagged and shimmering
  • The airport buildings to the right of the runway are a shimmering mess
  • The antenna array at the start of the runway is a jagged, shimmering mess
  • Ditto for the light poles to the right of the runway

Note that I spend several hours fiddling with settings (OpenXR render res, in-game render res and graphics settings, UserCfg, nvidia settings, etc.) and the issue is consistent. Also, some players report not seeing the issue at all, which could mean there is a workaround (but if there is, I haven’t been able to find it).

AntiAliasing broken in-sim. Please fix (logged by @PilotRaider7169)

Hello guys, I notice that this has been discussed before. But I cannot for some reason get anti aliasing to work on any of my 3 gaming PC’s for any games much less flight sim. Is there something broken in Windows 10 or what? This is really beginning to aggravate me to be unable to solve this issue. FXAA works a little but it’s a blurry mess. I know MSAA and SSAA looks really jagged for what should be completely smooth AA…

NVIDIA isn’t helping on their forums and I keep sending feedback to Microsoft but no replies. I have done a lot of testing but I’m not able to pinpoint the issue to one particular thing. I’m wondering if this is something that Microsoft messed up in an update for Windows.

My PC’s are as follows:

Main Desktop - 10900K, GTX 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, 2TB NVME, 144Hz 2K GSync.
Alienware Area 51m R2 - 10900K, RTX 2080S, 32GB DDR4, 2TB NVME, 360Hz GSync 1080p
Sons desktop - 8700K, GTX1060, 16GB DDR4, 500GB NVME, 60Hz 1080p

It doesn’t work on any of them… even after loading Windows 7 and 8 on these machines, nothing…

This hasn’t just affected MSFS but also XP11, P3D and DCS World.

Anyone know of a solution?

To recap no setting fixes AA for MSAA/MFAA/TXAA.
Seems as though it’s an update problem from Microsoft.

It’s the same issue as another user reported with the title: Anti-Aliasing completely broken at 1080p.

Can a dev chime in on this issue?

Thanks.

Hello guys, I notice that this has been discussed before. But I cannot for some reason get anti aliasing to work on any of my 3 gaming PC’s for any games much less flight sim. Is there something broken in Windows 10 or what? This is really beginning to aggravate me to be unable to solve this issue. FXAA works a little but it’s a blurry mess. I know MSAA and SSAA looks really jagged for what should be completely smooth AA…

NVIDIA isn’t helping on their forums and I keep sending feedback to Microsoft but no replies. I have done a lot of testing but I’m not able to pinpoint the issue to one particular thing. I’m wondering if this is something that Microsoft messed up in an update for Windows.

My PC’s are as follows:

Main Desktop - 10900K, GTX 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, 2TB NVME, 144Hz 2K GSync.
Alienware Area 51m R2 - 10900K, RTX 2080S, 32GB DDR4, 2TB NVME, 360Hz GSync 1080p
Sons desktop - 8700K, GTX1060, 16GB DDR4, 500GB NVME, 60Hz 1080p

It doesn’t work on any of them… even after loading Windows 7 and 8 on these machines, nothing…

This hasn’t just affected MSFS but also XP11, P3D and DCS World.

Anyone know of a solution?

To recap no setting fixes AA for MSAA/MFAA/TXAA.
Seems as though it’s an update problem from Microsoft.

It’s the same issue as another user reported with the title: Anti-Aliasing completely broken at 1080p.

Can a dev chime in on this issue?

Thanks.

You can try this. Goto github and find a program called DDU, download and install and follow the instructions that it tells you. Works best if you run it in single user mode. After the uninstall reboot and
a. let windows install the driver automatically
or
b. download a new driver from the nvidia site and run that one.

Hope this helps.

I’ve tried DDU countless times already even using super old drivers and the latest ones… still no fix.
My guess is that this is caused by internal code that Microsoft changed in their OS. So only a MS engineer can fix it sadly, and to know when that’ll be, who knows… I hope it’s fast though!

Have you taken out the card and cleaned the fans? Maybe the gpu is running hot?

Yes, I have done so already. I’m an IT engineer for a living just not a graphics engineer, but I’ve also tested the power supplies. Still no fix. The fact that it’s happening on all 3 of my systems even after wiping the OS’s is concerning, even when I received my Area 51m R2 laptop with the RTX 2080 Super it had the exact same issue as my desktop. It’s very strange. I will add that I’m not the only user with this problem. I don’t just fly on MSFS, but also on P3D and XPlane 11.

Please check out these forum posts as well regarding the exact same issue:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=142570

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=143017

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=141370

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140489

My GPU is sitting at 64C under gaming load. CPU is at 45-50C under load. No overheating that I can tell.

TAA works fine for me on RTX 2070S.

If something is broken in other programs then you probably have a problem with the nvidia driver configuration; try resetting the nvidia control panel settings to defaults.

1 Like

note: dont made settings related to AA in nvidias control center. In case you done, reset it.

You can also show us a picture what exactly you mean with “AA broken…”

PS: and just in these moment seen, these hint you got already

Well as a tech for years, you know theres a script to follow when troubleshooting issues lol
What about your network thru put are you getting alot of bufferbloat? Is your modem a intel/puma based chipset, though I cant imagine how this could effect AA. Once I trimmed mine down that game started looking / running better?

From what I’ve seen it seems fine. Running on Xbox. No fix required - are you playing on Series S, by any chance? Enjoy all.

Check out the jagged shadows, they’re maxxed out, including using TAA and the leading edges of the wings look jagged. I run on PC.

This is from my Prepar3D simulator. This is happening on all 3 of my computer systems.

As far as I know this game uses Deferred Rendering, which means you cannot use MSAA. If you’re trying to inject it through the NVIDIA control panel, you won’t get very far…

What do you mean with “SSAA”? Are you trying to do SSAA by the NVIDIA control panel, or through the game settings (by increasing the render resolution)?

Same Here, and I confirm it’s quite a regression !
I don’t know if it has any significant impact on performance but please, give us at least the option to re-enable it for those who want !

(Ryzen 5 5600x + RTX 3090 + Quest2)

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know if it’s low res or no AA, but it’s really annoying!

Yes it’s awful and some fundamental questions need to be answered:

• Was this picked up in beta testing?
  • if it was why has this serious issue been ignored?
  • at what lengths are Asobo going too in order to rectify this issue?
  • how long will we have to wait for this regression to be fixed?
  • who is in charge of quality control at Asobo? If no one they need to hire someone!
1 Like

They need to hire me :D…Iv voted for this by the way…Also trying to set ya fuel from the menu Bar now is a right pain

Can confirm here also.

@Urroundnext how do you vote for an issue?

Anti Aliasing is definitely broken! Menus are horrible, and it does effect the visual Quality while flying as well. The racing sim “Iracing” did the same thing in one of their builds about a year and a half ago. It took them months before they corrected that error.

VR headset, Reverb G2

1 Like

I saw this as well and thought I was crazy until I saw this thread on the Developer Update. Definitely something that needs a look, and hopefully before the big VR overhaul.