[BUG LOGGED] Performance Decrease when Using Pop-Out Panels

I don’t think that’s the issue here. But for a test i can do that

On my PC it’s the opposite!
FPS increase when undocking a toolbar window (i have only 1 Display).
FPS Drop when closing or minimize a toolbar window.

I have the opposite problem :joy:

I have only 1 Display. When i open a toolbar window i have a massive fps drop (15-20FPS). As soon as i undock the the window the FPS increase 15-20 FPS. When minimizing or closing the window FPS drops again…

Are you sure you aren’t falling for the 'ol double counting FPS counter glitch? Where undocking a panel caused some FPS counters to count the frame twice in error?

Otherwise, pics or it didn’t happen. Whereas undocking a panel to its own window causing an FPS drop is just poor optimization. If undocking a panel vs no panel at all is causing an FPS increase, well then there is something extremely wrong with the simulator.

(Car analogy!) It’s kind of like sticking your hand outside the window while you’re driving. Your hand is increasing drag, but it shouldn’t slow the car down that much at all. But if Flight Simulator were a car, sticking your hand outside the window (undocking a panel) is slowing the car down from 60 mph to 45 mph. That should set off some alarm bells that there’s something wrong. It should cost the computer almost nothing to undock a panel with just some text, but it’s instead causing enormous drag on the simulator.

But if sticking your hand outside the window causes the car to actually speed up. Well, then we need to start worrying about physics itself.

1 Like

:joy:

It was the ol double counting FPS counter glitch. In developer mode i had only 15 FPS instead of 30 FPS shown by nvidia. Thx.

But now i am wondering how i was able to play without stuttering?

Even though your frame rate was probably lower, it might have been more consistent. The longer time each frame takes to render can allow the the simulator to catch up on processing other threads and loading stuff. And/or the stutters were just less noticeable.

Same.
I have a RTX3080 with an i9 9900k non oc’ed… running the Game locked at 40fps and everything on ultra.
Almost all the time 40 fps and maybe dips to 30 but other than that it is fine. As soon as i use the PopOut Window Feature (for PFD, Radio or even the ATC panel) the FPS goes down to 20FPS and the GPU utilization is at 40% … wtf?
Please fix that i want to build me a external GNS System, but this is unusable.

I’m not sure if this is the same issue as everyone’s complaints about framerates.

I run a dual monitor setup and I’ve noticed that after this update, when I pop out my map and run it on my second monitor, my framerate immediately drops by about half. In a graphically light environment, I can be doing 54-60FPS and then drop to 30FPS immediately if I extend my map to the second monitor. Having the map “in game” does not result in any drops in framerate. I can pop it back and forth and the framerate will double or halve accordingly.

Running on 1440p Ultra settings with an RX 6800 XT w/ V-sync set to 60FPS.

Yes, this is a known issue. On my system I lose about 10 fps when undocking the G1000 MFD and PFD on a second monitor. Still playable though. One other thing, on AMD GPU systems, HDR and Freesync must be disabled otherwise moving the glass panels on a different screen results in CTD. Since you are referring to the map window, I would suggest disabling Freesync first.

Thanks for your reply. Is this a new issue? It only started happening to me after this recent update. It never used to affect my framerates at all. It’s almost like it caps it at 30FPS when I undock it because it doesn’t deviate much from it and never exceeds it.

Make sure you’re not limiting frame rate in the sim via v-synch in your in-sim settings. It will then split that limited amount of frame rate between your main window and popped out windows. So 60 fps limit will give you 30 for your main sim window, and the other 30 divided amongst the other popped out instruments.

Without V-Synch, I see about an 8 fps hit for the initial pop out, and a cost of 1-2 fps at most for each additional instrument popped out.

Known by users. I don’t thing it’s ever been acknowledged by Asobo.

I am indeed limiting it to 60FPS because of tearing issues. I’ll give it a shot tonight. Thanks all.

Yup. The overall performance hit of popping out windows has been there since launch. It was horrible early on, costing about 10 fps for each popped out instrument, but improved during the fall with each update.

The issue of it doing this with V-Sync was introduced with the VR update in December. They changed something with the rendering engine for VR that caused this issue. It got worse when they changed up the rendering engine again with the UK update.

Since so few of us seem to be using this feature, bug reports in the bug forums die and are auto-closed after 30 days for lack of activity on them unfortunately. I don’t see this being addressed any time soon, as right now they’re scrambling in XBOX mode, and this isn’t a feature needed for XBOX.

Hehe, would it make a difference if it would be “acknowledged” ? Don’t even get me started please :grinning:

It likely wouldn’t considering the top bugs on their roadmap list have been acknowledged since the alpha and are still unaddressed.

That acknowledgement is akin to a wealthy person driving into an inner city ghetto, looking at the first person he sees saying “Wow. You really are living in horrible poverty.” Then proceeds to light his cigar with a $100 bill…

1 Like

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting. Persistent with and without mods

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? NO

Brief description of the issue: Any windows that you can pop out and move to a second monitor (ATC, Map, G1000, G3X) cause a > 50% drop in frame rates.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered: ALT - Click G1000 Window , or pop out any of the standard windows (VR Map, ATC, etc)

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile) 1080Ti , 1440p monitor, 3900x 32g ram. 45 - 50 FSP typically in non-high dense populated areas with custom settings.

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #? Not Yet, checking if this is a localized issue or not.

Okay, forum filled out;

Since the last update, I can not pop-out any windows to the second monitor. I get an instant 50-60% drop in frame rates. Before, zero impact. I am not sure if this is an issue specific to ME or something with this update but sure feels update-related. The stuttering problem everyone else is having I am also having.

This occurs with our without mods. My GPU utilization drops to almost nothing with a pop-out window:

Photos:

No - Popout:

G1000 Pop Out:

FVR Map Pop OUt in Both Modes:

GPU Performance:

I’ve been working through this issue for a few days, and looks like its “mostly” solved.

I found a post on poor VR performance and fixes and gave that a shot. Turns out turning off Game Mode and Turning Off Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling greatly improved this issue.

Now I sit with a ~15 - 20fps penality vs dropping down to 10fps. Before there was <10fps hit when doing this, so something HAS changed, but at least now it’s flyable. I’ve never messed with these settings so I don’t know if MS Windows turned them on, or if now MSFS can’t run with these on. Hard to say for sure.

Performance Now:

the latest windows update brought back HAGS issues… I still can not recommend to use this.

also… if you check your GPU load, be sure you check the correct values with the correct Taskmanager settings. See:

Apparently so… Doesn’t help stuttering at all, but made quite the difference with this issue.

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
Removed for testing, no change in problem behavior.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
Using it for FPS view. When closing, no change in behavior.

Brief description of the issue:
I’m actually getting far worse performance now, post 1.14.6.0.

I’ve ensured I’m running 1.14.6.0, and community folder empty. Cache deleted (I dont use it anyway).

I used to get 45-50 fps with the High preset with most GA aircraft, in photogrammetry areas. Now I get 25-30 fps in the same areas. Even in the middle of nowhere Wyoming, I cant get above 30fps.

With the FlybyWire A320NX, I could expect previously around 30 fps. Now I’m getting 12-15.

Something is seriously wrong here. No clue how to fix it. Mainthread/GPU is getting hammered.

UPDATE: I’ve found that when any window is popped out, as I’ve always flown with ATC on the second monitor, it tanks my framerate (from 55-60 to 25-30). If I close the ATC window, or pop it back to my main monitor, framerate instantly goes back to 55-60.

Disabling VSync in game has a similar effect. FPS go from 25-30 up to 40-50, but not quite as high as simply closing the ATC window.

SECOND UPDATE:
I re-enabled “Hybrid Mode” in Lenovo’s Vantage Software, and although this is supposed to be for intelligent switching on battery power, it seems to have cured the issue. Beyond Bizarre. I’ve had this disabled from day one, and now it becomes an issue apparently. I’m guessing that it disabled the integrated graphics card, which…maybe handled the ATC window when on the second monitor, so now the Nvidia GPU had to do double duty? Not sure if that’s how it works.

But…I’m now seeing high framerates again. Will update if things change.

UPDATE #3 - problem has returned. So I guess the ‘Hybrid Mode’ change did not fix it.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
With ATC window on second monitor:

With ATC window “popped in” to game.

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Fly in any aircraft, in any region.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
i7-10750 6-core CPU, 32 GB DDR4 ram, and Nvidia RTX 2060 GPU with 6bg of memory. Two 1TB M.2 NVMe SSDs. Windows 10 is at 20H2 update, Nvidia 461.92.

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
I’ve never had any positive experience, or resolution of any of the problems which I’ve submitted to Zendesk, so no, I’ve not filed a report.