Career Mode Sandbox Option - Make Missions Available as option in Free Fly

I do believe missions without career mode have a wide audience, just look at the Hype Performance Group H145 action pack, they have almost everything (and had already in 2020) what 2024 missions have for helicopters, the only thing missing is aerial application.

They have a very active community, users adding new missions, there is a very sophisticated and realistic HEMS mission mod, firefighting, logging, whatever you want. The only problem I have is that only works with the H145, which is a great helicopter and I love it but also would love to use other aircraft.

I had very high hopes that 2024 will have a similarly sophisticated mission system available with any rotorcraft, since it has all the infrastructure (sling load, spraying, etc.). Having all that locked behind the primitive, idiotic, buggy career mode was a bitter disappointment.

5 Likes

I don’t know, this would make it like a simulator instead of a game. A simulator would have the ability to set various scenarios in a sandbox format..so this thread is really just asking for the simulator to be a simulator.

8 Likes

For me, Career Mode is one thing, flying Missions is another.

There’s another 120 Votes here that could be merged to this Wishlist item. They look the same to me:

4 Likes

Except, we end up ignoring career mode altogether in favor of Neofly or SayIntentions’ SkyOps because the native career is too rigid and yet not rigid enough. It certainly never feels like a pilot’s journey into the higher dimensions of aviation. It feels like one day you’re totally new and won’t even be given full flight controls, then you fly around a couple of schoolyards and now you’re working for 17 different airlines, whose dispatchers are all functioning alcoholics.

They should just open up the entire sim. Let the community make Improvement mods for everything, including career mode and unfck this mess.

11 Likes

I agree. They should outsource everything they can to third parties, and should have made somebody like Neofly an official partner. Then incorporate that directly into the sim, not unlike they did with the Working Title EFB. Then Asobo would be free to focus on the gaming and graphics engine or streaming functionality. Some things they seem to consider core features and are unwilling to open up, however. This most likely and the weather engine.

2 Likes

What fires?

Works for me?

What’s needed is a different class of Missions that are more like Challenges. More complicated. Bad IFR conditions. No penalties for failure, but they may be extremely difficult to complete, have many stages and take days or several sessions to finish. Multiple aircraft in a single mission including helicopters. Imagine the old rhino transport mission upgraded to FS2024 scenery and aircraft! Score can be kept, just as already done in Challenges. No penalties for failure, you only try to get as high a score as possible so you are competing with everyone else in the world if you want to, otherwise just try to improve for your own satisfaction.

My favorite old mission was the one where you land a Cessna in a tiny clearing in the forest in a huge snowstorm. I think I enjoyed flying that one at least 20 or 30 times. Now that was a challenge, and I never got a nasty message saying I didn’t reply to ATC or taxi too fast. Just concentrate on what matters for flying.

If you want to be graded on how often you push the button to respond to ATC and all other arcane procedures then stay in Career Mode.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s because I liked it previously and forgot!

1 Like

I nominate this for the best Career Mode post I’ve seen… on any site.

Username is great too😁

7 Likes

can you expirement to see what gives you the best grades in free flight?

Good question, I’m not sure, but also haven’t been using 2024 since before Xmas since I only fly in VR, and VR is less than useful right now…. :frowning:

1 Like

I concur with this 100%. Being able to do missions with friends or even bumping into random pilots doing the same mission would be a amazing feature to have. If i were the developers this would definitely be on the list of things to make possible.

4 Likes

That sounds like my life before retirement…

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I like the idea of Career being moved into the EFB.

Was there any mention of this item on the dev stream: February 5th 2025 Developer Livestream - Discussion?

It wasn’t to my knowledge

Simple suggestions to improve career mode immersion in freelance flights:

  1. Allow us to fly our aircraft freely in Career Mode. This would help us travel to places with more missions while still taking care of paying for fuel, maintenance and planning our route.

  2. If it is difficult to create shorter flights, give us the opportunity to land at other airports on the route, save the flight and continue our mission at another time. This applies to logical situations such as cargo missions, for example. Maybe I landed at the wrong airport, or miscalculated my fuel and need to stop to refuel on my route. Why not?

  3. When finishing a mission when the engines are cut, allow us to remain in flight, do the shutdown procedure and create an “End Mission” button, and then the mission will be completed. When this happens, SAVE the state of the aircraft and its location so that when loading another mission, I am in the same place or, as in suggestion (1), I can fly to an airport with missions.

  4. If I forget to refuel the aircraft before starting the mission, give me the opportunity to refuel while I’m in the mission. I may even have to take the aircraft to the fuel pumps (like it was in FSX) or call a tanker truck. But let’s give ourselves this little immersion.

  5. Give us the opportunity to save the aircraft’s state exactly as we left it on the last flight, unless my crew flies it, in which case it could come back in the “politically correct” state. Other than that, let me do a little more work on the checklist to see if I didn’t forget anything the day before. I want to put the chocks, the pitons and the covers on. Let my conscience punish me if I forgot something on my safe checklist. When we enter career mode, there could be a “Start where I left off” button. It would be cool, right?

  6. Traffic. I believe that not having traffic in career mode is a bug that will be fixed over time, in parallel with ATC.

Career mode is perfect for people like me who have been flying since Flight Simulator 2000, going through all versions until MSFS 2024. I simulated a lot in every detail, but today the career mode gives us an irreverent and casual view of our flights. The details of aircraft wear and tear are fantastic, I love having to save fuel knowing that it will come out of my “pocket”. I am taking much more care when landing for fear of damaging it and not having the money to fix it.

I like to do short flights of no more than 1 hour between preparation and landing, because that is all the time I have that day, but I also like the freedom I have of taking a flight in a 737 that lasts 8 hours. Anything goes for our fun!

I am a senior developer in C# and Vb.net and I know that these details are not difficult to implement. In short, put free flights in career mode and you will reach a lot of people.

For those of you who are reading my wish list and identify with it, vote so we can reach Microsoft/Asobo or third-party developers together.

1 Like

Not sure I understand your point. This topic here is about missions outside of the career mode, not how to improve career mode. Most of us here aren’t interested in career mode, only in the missions.

2 Likes

You can do alot of that now via dev mode in the career tool mode via free flight it you just want to mess around with it, the flight plans work but the voice parts some bits are missing



1 Like