Co-Pilot Empty Void

I feel empty and alone. Within a void were existence though invisibility is a reality.

Sound which moves though invisibility. Who controls the action while I am away.

Who are they? What is their name?

I am talking about the co-pilot in the cockpit.

It doesn’t check up or communicate with me. It doesn’t exist. I can’t see them.

I cannot say to the co-pilot “I am going to the toilet and take over” with the response “Sure, I have control of the aircraft”. The co-pilot doesn’t say “The weather looks cloudy.” or “Engine failure! I am getting the checklist to restart.” No communication. No warnings.

I do not see the co-pilot on the right seat. I feel alone in the cockpit.

2 Likes

Okay, I get it. You’re after more immersion.

Maybe FSRealistic Pro could play a part more on the audio side as part of the cockpit ambience thing.

Maybe, also there could be a third party app in which the co pilot vocalises certain flight events such as altitude, current weather etc.

For extra immersion I use ATC chatter with Pilot2Atc. I guess this is not precisely what you are after but it might help you a bit until something else comes along.

Maybe there is something else already available which I don’t know of? :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

You should be happy about being alone inside the cockpit.

I have seen already too many YouTube documentaries where (especially the pilot against the copilot, it´s always this direction but never vice versa) was a complete a**hole, constantly menacing, mocking, and yelling at the copilot like he was some 13year old kid who has stolen a moped and now must be punished for at least an hour (for minor irrelevent things like not knowing if the taxi or the landing light is used at dawn at the runway and other stuff).

The mood and atmosphere in many cockpits is constantly strained and bad, and sometimes even very hostile.
Many airliners have even crashed because of situations like this, when problematic personas cannot stop establishing dominance, cynism and mocking all around the clock, and constant power-plays.
The FO is not daring to say anything anymore for the rest of the whole flight, and errors happen…

Working alone is BEST - even in a cockpit!
Be happy to have no one around inside the fine photorealistic flight deck! :wink:

1 Like

Hello, you touched up on a couple of Wishlist items that people have. You may want to check them out.

2 Likes

No. The mood and atmosphere in cockpits is not constantly bad or strained or hostile.

IRL the mood in the cockpit mostly ranges from formal but cordial, to down right enjoyable, especially when you have that fun crew (pilots and flight attendants). And as you fly the line for years you often bid trips with the pilots you know (who become your friends) and you get to know the other pilots flying your equipment very well and you become close, if not friends outside of work. Also, for pilots that live local to you, you also get to know their families since you’re sure to be invited to their homes and them to yours.

AND, with modern CRM there is no “It’s my way or the highway mentality” on the flight deck so whether youre a 20,000 hour check airman OR you’re a 2,000 hour FO in training on your first IOE flight, your input is valued as a fellow professional AND you’re treated with respect. Sure, you’re going to get that “one guy” who everyone knows is miserable to fly with and you roll your eyes when you check-in down in the crew room for your 4 day trip and you find out you’re stuck with him for 4 days, and 4 legs a day. But that’s an exception and NOT the rule.

The best things about being an airline pilot are 1. The close community and camaraderie of your fellow aviation professionals (pilots, flight attendants, dispatchers, ATC, and ground crew alike) 2. The view outside the window. 3. The fact that they pay you to do what you love…fly…if they only knew we would have done that for free!

3 Likes

I disagree. The mood in most cockpits has always been collaborative and supportive.

How many real cockpits have you been in?

2 Likes

Now regarding the topic, yes it would be great to be able to toggle the other pilot on and off. It’s two lines of text!
In fact, you can do it to any aircraft already, if you know how to edit the .gltf files. Why this isn’t a ‘thing’ is just another one for the pile…

1 Like

That is good to hear that there is still good friendship in the cockpit!

Indeed, as with life in general, it’s not all about the flying. It’s also about the relationships.

$0.02 :slight_smile:

I’m a Co-pilot - It says it after my name - What do you want to know?
What you don’t know already?
Just drink lots of water - forget flying.
Get your Spirit level Horizontal my Friend.
PM if you need help.
I’m here.

+1 for having co pilot or the Mrs or dog visible on the seat next to me.
I am glad there is a mod for the FBW 320 and Hype added it as a click option in the H145 but stock planes are very lonely.

Try FS realistic! At least your landing is getting commented. Yesternights landing was commented with “well, a landing you can walk away from alive was still a landing” (and some clapping applause) - the autopilot did not autoflare and I was pulling back to late when the computer linked to the radar altimeter was already saying 50! 30! 20! Ten! Woom

Next time I know that a Cat 2 and Cat 3 landing does not auto-flare, I thought I have to do nothing but watch while the computer auto-flares and auto-brakes, and I only need to manually flare and brake when doing an FLS landing.

Really? Which airline do you work for?

I have seen this in documentaries.

You can have your virtual buddy as long as they are optional

It’s a common theme in airline crash documentaries.

You need Multi Crew Experience! Working great with most sim aircraft, including the PMDG 737. It’s customizable, so I’ve re-created all my airline’s procedures for operating the 737, and it’s pretty darn good!

Does this mod still work?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.