Coming back after >1 year. State of the game?

I stepped away from MSFS over a year ago due to the bugs and performance issues, among other issues. I’m considering coming back but am curious as to the current state of the game? What is everyone’s opinion on the game now? How is the performance compared to a year ago? Is it worth coming back?

1 Like

Seems fine but I also thought that a year ago.

Many bugs have been fixed. Many others have not.

To answer your question more fully we would need to know what particular issues annoyed you enough to quit.

3 Likes

Still a lot of bugs, still a lot of fun.
Never had major problems for long, whatever you stopped, you should try by yourself if your personal point of view will be satisfied.

2 Likes

Depends on whom you ask and what is important to you.

• If you are experiencing a number of CTDs, I’m sure that would drastically alter your opinion how you feel about the sim. I am personally not experiencing any major CTDs, but some people are. The developers spoke on the last developer stream about the importance of updating your graphics drivers, as that is the root cause of a lot of CTDs that they see come through their telemetry.
  • A lot of people have been experiencing connection issues and low bandwidth warnings lately. The development team is aware. According to the last development stream, there has been discussion of altering the “connection lost” message so that it is not so intrusive.
  • DirectX 12 is still in beta. They are monitoring it and trying to fix stability issues. From the sounds of things, it sounds like they do not plan to move to DX12 until it’s more stable than DX11, which makes sense to me.
  • ATC is still the same as last year. This is a source of a lot of frustration for a lot of people. But according to those in the know, overhauling ATC is an enormous task. I would just say, we need to remain patient on this one.
  • Weather has been overhauled significantly.
    • The caps on updrafts have been removed, so you can get yourself in a lot of trouble if you fly into a storm you’re not supposed to. I would say that there is still an ongoing debate as to the realism of turbulence in the sim.
    • Having been kicked around in GA aircraft in real life, I’m leaning on the side that it’s pretty realistic at this point, though every once in a while I will hit a patch that seems very wrong to me.
    • A turbulence adjustment has been introduced for those who want to tone it down. Turning it down does not affect updrafts.
    • Personally (my opinion), I haven’t seen many changes to clouds. The only two cloud types I’ve ever seen in the sim have been cumulus and stratus.
  • Ground handling is being worked on by the team, though I am not clear on what tweaks are being made.
  • Some changes have been made to live and offline traffic, but there is still a long way to go in terms of how they behave. The filtering system for real-time traffic has been altered to allow much more real-time traffic to come through. Before this, traffic had to match many parameters in order to be rendered in the sim, but those restrictions have been loosened.
  • You’ll still see static aircraft breakdancing on the ramp from time to time.

This is what I could come up with in a few minutes.

7 Likes

A very comprehensive list! However you didn’t mention the mess that is VR as has been well-documented on this forum. Something that’s very important to many of us.

I’d also mention the ground handling problems with its unrealistic “kick” or flick of the tail in taildraggers.

And major problems with some photogrammetry such as Toronto and London, trees and bridges, lakes etc.

2 Likes

Thanks! I don’t own any VR gear, and any attempt I’ve ever made to do anything in VR in the past (not MSFS) has made me queasy. So this is not an area of MSFS that I have much familiarity with, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

Yes it’s interesting about VR. Q8 Pilot, the YouTuber can’t use it either, and my wife gets vertigo quite badly if she stands on a step, and she also can’t use it!

The way the camera works in VR is wrong as it’s not fixed to the airframe. This induces an effect not unlike being a bit woosy from alcohol, hence disorientation and sickness. See Cap’n Lucky’s VR post in the VR section.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/msfs-is-breaking-the-vr-golden-rule-dont-move-the-camera-the-user-is/

2 Likes

Personally I’m very pleased. Guess it will depend on your current rig. There have been many improvements and a few hiccups over the past year but overall it has just kept improving.
I have an older setup.

i7-10875H CPU
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
RAM 32.0 GB
2 Tb NVME storage
Track IR
Windows 11
Most settings on high with a 2k 32" monitor.

And lets not forget all the new free world updates.
What other game has added so much and continues to.
Climb back on board and take to the skies…
you won’t be sorry
┏(‘▀◡▀’)ノ

1 Like

You may want to look at the various “gripe” forums and see if any of this resonates with you.

Some of the gripes are legit IMHO, (like the post-apocolypse photogrammetry in places like Canada), which is (again IMHO) indicative of a basic lack of QA and/or a “ship it!” attitude.

Other gripes, (“AI doesn’t work” or “GA aircraft AI being broken makes the game unplayable :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:!!!”), are either technology driven and they’re doing the best they can w/o a bottomless research budget, or are currently unavailable, and as a consequence are less legit (IMHO again).

You need to decide what’s important for you and decide for yourself, though given the current state of the technology, I think they’re doing pretty darn well.

Viz.:

I’ve had the game for about 6 months and love it tbh. I have had 2 CTD’s the entire time I’ve used it, so not perfect, but, touch wood, still relatively good. I think it runs really well if you are willing to tweak the graphical settings to match your hardware - but if you like to chase the best graphical quality and/or fps then it’s obviously still very much a system hog.

There are some minor bugs and grievances. As others have said it will depend on what you like to do. As I mostly fly VFR in GA (cus ■■■■ the world looks pretty) I may be ignorant to bugs and issues that IFR airliner pilots experience.

Oh, ATC and AI are still pretty pants.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.