Constant altitude changes from ATC

I get this too. I have access to enroute and approach charts, so if I have to I ignore ATC and go to the chart minimum altitudes. So far I have not been shot at or issued flight violations.

So im flying VRF
 ATC tells me to climb to 5000ft initially. when i reach those 5000ft, it tells me to go up to 10.000ft. fine. i climb
 the moment im getting to 10k feet, it tells me to go back down to 5000ft. this being a 30 minute flight, i thought maybe theyre already telling be to start my descent. i descend and the moment i reach 5000ft it tells me to go back up to 10k ft. i ignore this because im almost at my destination and now ATC is nagging me to expedite my climb to 10k feet.

At some point ATC tells, im on the right path and to maintain ALT (5000ft) and HEADING. 30 seconds later they tell me again to climb to 10.000ft

is this normal ? it sure is annoying! im flying mostly over the sea in this particular example, however ATC does this almost 100% of my flights. am i doing something wrong or this something that Asobo will have to fix ?

I don’t think it’s normal. I’ve had it a few times myself, it can get quite frustrating. you’ve planned your flight 5000 feet, you’ve checked to ensure that you’re not going to bump into anything like a mountain and then you start your flight and before long you’re told to go up to 10,000 feet. you then have to think to yourself have I allowed for the extra fuel to do that? but I suppose it’s all part of the game, it’s something that the makers I’m sure will look into eventually.

1 Like

It is possible that ATC is aware of your proximity to a Class B airspace that requires minimums at, or above 10,000 ft. Check a map for your position in, and around controlled airspaces.

but it shouldnt tell me to climb, and when i reach the ALT, to descend again, and then when reaching that ALT to climb again etc etc 
 feels like ATC is trolling me more than anything

Yeah, this is since Day. Absolutly for nothing the MSFS ATC. Destroy the planed flight fully.

Anyway, i fly on VATSIM. Much better hehe

Here another post:

TBH 
 it’s a bit duff. If you want ATC then I’d look at VATSIM or IVAO. (Coverage varies depending on location).

yeah ive used IVAO for some time, but there was very seldom the coverage i needed. i ended up almost always flying in unicom with no guidance at all. buy yeah, ill maybe think about reviving my IVA account, cause for now the ATC is really taking away the immersion

When you fly VFR, ATC doesn’t control your altitude. If they tell you how high to fly, you’re under IFR

1 Like

Depends where you are. I’m in the UK, and there is lots more VATSIM coverage than IVAO, but for our neighbours on the European mainland it seems the other way round. USA is almost entirely VATSIM. There’s nothing stopping you using both (and at the time of writing they use the same model sets)

If you look at their coverage sites which I think are vattastic and IVAO webeye you can get an idea of coverage for where you want to fly. There aren’t huge numbers of ATC and sometimes you have to fly where the ATC is if you want the full ATC.

Did you set VFR on the world map ? ATC shouldn’t be telling you to fly VFR that high.

(Incidentally if you like VFR try CIXVFRCLUB, we have our own ATC and regular flights using it)

It’s hit and miss, unfortunately. Sometimes the same thing happens to me and under no circumstances would ATC tell you to climb several thousand feet with the airfield in-sight ready for landing. It’s a limitation of the ATC in the sim, but maybe it will be improved.

1 Like

Yes, I get that regularly. On another post, I discussed a 20 mile training flight this week. They first told me to go to 5k’ as I would expect. When I’m a few miles into the flight they demand 11k’ and then keep yelling at me to “expedite” the 11k while I fly over my destination airport.

1 Like

I know there is vatsim and other voice atc options, but I would prefer a system like infinite flight on iOS and android. User selected choices which cover a wide range of scenarios linked to real user controllers

I’ll be starting to practice ILS. I’m not impressed with the sound and clarity of the ATC transmissions. Can I ignore them and just let Autopilot follow the waypoints and approach altitudes as indicated on the charts and plates. I won’t be in multi-player mode.

I’m on Live multiplayer mode all the time and I ignore the ATC most of the time. Hahahah. (I don’t see many people anyway) If you’re having issues with the sound clarity, you can go to the sound settings and disable the VHF signal degradation.

And if you want to practice ILS, I suggest the Macau - Hong Kong is a good route to do.

Neo4316-
Thanks I’ll try that. I can always shut off the sound. I didn’t know if I could continue the flight if I ignored or if I’d be ordered to return to base. I’ll be doing my initial learning by following the videos by ‘Kip on the Ground’. Already downloaded the ILS plates for Long Beach, CA and Las Vegas. I’ll try the Macau-Hong Kong when I can do it on my own.

Btw, what I meant by ignore them is that I set my AI copilot to handle the ATC radio. So I don’t have to standby and respond to them myself. But for some cases where the assigns things like unrealistic altitude assignments while there’s mountains all around me, that’s when I actually ignore their instructions and just go with my gut feeling. Worst case scenario is that they’ll cancel IFR and switch to VFR rules.

Yes, but technology has advanced significantly since FSX. Why not use AI? Besides, having good ATC is crucial to having a realistic flight sim since ATC plays a big part in real world flight.

Flying into Gibraltar, approach tells me to climb to FL09 3 miles out. I ignore them and ATC cancels my IFR clearance! :rofl: