Constant CTD’s on Xbox with 3rd Party Scenery & Airports

Here’s a thread from February about it, so surely Zurich CTD was a thing way before Sim Update 9.

1 Like

Test flying some old favorites with and without airports installed on the same exact route with the same exact aircraft. A couple problem airports for me recently:

Victorville/Southern Logistics KVCV, forget it on xbox for now. Worked OK in SU8(just a little FPS drop on the ground as expected for 100+ parked aircraft) but after extensive tests from San Diego to the Edwards area, starts causing lag, now severe FPS issues 60 miles out, even though LOD only loads aircraft within a few miles. Not sure if there’s an animation issue or not, can’t spend enough time at the airport to check.

KDCA, definitely the moving train causing the problem with CTD when it pops in. Just a slight FPS drop at visible distance(but also running KIAD and DC scenery all shows at once), but same as would be expected for a typical PC experience when the detail goes way up. Was completely flyable though and mainly just panning. Now as soon as the Metro pops in, CTD(another animation problem). Used to be in SU8 able to park, go in the terminal with the drone for coffee and watch the Metro train no issues…

Global shipping, fine in SU8, now even beyond any visible range of any ships still lags the game out.
Global shipping Virgin Islands scenery, no moving ships(at least slider to zero), but still crushes the game, often with CTD from what I can only see as static ships.
These two I am DESPERATE to have fixed at some point…

Global shipping St Marteen, ironically no problems with traffic set to zero, tons of static ships causes no issues at all. Recent updates to the library has the ships looking better than ever. No issues landing in the water and going right up to them. Yet Virgin Islands version wrecks the game.

Key West, no issues, still love the fort and loggerhead lighthouse. A favorite ‘just enough’ airport with no issues. Can land at NAS Key west and park with the F18’s

KFLL Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood, outstanding airport, hardly a frame lost even with the docks and ships.

KMIA Miami international, tons of tweaks and updates to the Miami area, only looses a few FPS in the busy areas(well within reason). Smooth everywhere else. These three make hops from KFLL to Key west one of my regular go-to ~1hr flights. Although I find most LVFR products seem to take into account XBOX limitations.

Should list all the add-ons that cause known issues in SU9. Some of these, like KVCV can cause dramatic problems even if you are nowhere NEAR the add-on. Problem is if you don’t test each and every one of them you may have no idea what’s causing your CTD’s.

Birds still cause problems for me, outright stopping the game for a few FPS when they pop in now, and general lag at times. Used to be no issue at all in SU8. When you find issues like that, you have to pull it down completely before trying to sort out anything else.

RJ Santos Dumont, I have that one, and even though it is small in file size and adds a ton of generic buildings, it just crushes the XBOX. I can’t fly with that airport installed. It was semi-tolerable in SU8, and with global shipping you could fly laps around Rio and revisit a ship coming into port, but not currently.

3 Likes

Outstanding feedback! Please, share with us all your additional findings!

I’m from Rio de Janeiro. The Santos Dumont add-on is just incredible and adds a lot of buildings in an insanely realistic way all over the place, not only near the airport, and even also in the other side of Guanabara Bay, in Niterói city. Honestly, trust me, I really believe it’s even better than if we had photogametry available! At least from distance and from high, it’s just awesome in a way those supported cities aren’t.

It’s so sad it’s currently crashing so much on Xbox. I talked to the developer, Paulo Ricardo, and he was really attentive and helpful. Unfortunately, on Xbox they can’t mess with the files like when using a PC, so it’s also difficult for them to investigate the issues. What I think they can do is just use a similar hardware to check how their product behave, but surely there’s something wider going on, of course, because even in vanilla state, without any add-on installed, there are crashes in some places, like Zurich that is currently unplayable.

We do know that it’s most probably something only Asobo will be able to fix, since it’s related to memory leak, right? At least they had a huge data to analyze after that test period before Sim Update 10 Beta.

Again, about Rio, when taking off/landing using Tom Jobim Internacional Airport (SGBL), it’s usually stable even when using his add-on. With this in mind, maybe those two/three guys walking inside Santos Dumont airport is what’s most probably causing crashes there? Even though there are crashes even far away from the airport, sometimes…

I will contact him again asking if he can remove them on Xbox temporarily to check what happens. He already removed things here and there trying to fix issues.

2 Likes

What I don’t understand is why Asobo lets these sceneries to Xbox when they obviously cause so many issues. I’ve reached out to developers who wont refund because they claim Asobo has tested these to make sure they work on Xbox but Zendesk will say it’s not their problem. It’s borderline fraudulent. Currently the Narita Airport, Indianapolis Airport and the Vegas pack (when both city and airport are installed not one or the other) will always cause crashes. I’ve even removed every add-on but those singular ones and it always results in a crash. Yet we can’t get our money back.

2 Likes

If anyone interested on Germany Airfields. The Nuremberg airport(which is an highly detailed and accurate airport), from Aerosoft, and Captain7,
this works fine on Xbox series S, (ok, at night, at the gate, droopy fps, but there is an highly modelled interior of the terminal).
I only can say, that it works fine for ME!
Even with the A320neo!!
How it is for you, I don’t know.

Another question. Has anyone experiences with the Basel-Moulhouse Airport from FSDG? Does it works? Even with the A320neo, no black screens or CTDs? Should I buy this?

I will be happy, for an friendly answer.

Greetings from Berlin😉

Basel-Mulhouse is fine on Series X. I use it a lot.

Microsoft/Asobo ignorieren das Problem! Sie haben keine Interesse. Alle drittanbieter Flughäfen funktionieren nicht. Kauft keine Airports mehr!!! Man sollte dagegen angehen und das Geld zurück verlangen.

1 Like

Ich glaube ehrlich gesagt nicht das sie kein Interesse haben, mein Sohn😉 Asobo Studios sind ein großer entwickler mit einem großen Programm, dem Flight Simulator, im Rücken, und den müssen sie auch verwalten. Es gibt Tausende Probleme, die behoben werden müssen, und dieser Fehler mit den Third Party Addons, liegt vor allem daran, das die Entwickler nicht die Möglichkeit haben, ihre Airports zu testen! Das muss behoben werden! Und es liegt an dem vorhandenen Memory leak der XBOX. Aber das alle Third Party Airports nicht funktionieren, dass stimmt keinesfalls! Ich habe viele Airports auf meiner Series S, die wunderbar funktionieren! Darunter den Airport Nürnberg! Der ist sehr, sehr detailreich und dazu von Aerosoft! Aber er funktioniert tadellos!

Aber starten sie doch einfach einen „Refund“ ihres Produktes! Dann haben sie ihr Geld zurück😉
Und in Zukunft: schreiben sie bitte in ENGLISCH! Damit auch jeder das verstehen kann!:kissing:

Refund ist 2 oder 3 mal möglich danach gibt es kein Geld zurück! Will ich eigentlich auch nicht möchte einfach nur das sie funktionieren. Ich habe ctd an allen Airports erst dachte ich das ist nur bei den von justsim aber nein auch von aerosoft und handgefertigte Flughäfen wie Frankfurt Amsterdam rotterdam die jeweils aus der deluxe/Premium Version kommen! Auch Bremen von einem anderen Entwickler (Name fällt mir grade nicht ein) sowie Paderborn Zürich Nizza usw. Die Probleme bestehen seit Januar! Und kein Statement von Microsoft! Ja könnte auf Englisch schreiben aber es wird sowieso automatisch übersetzt zumindest macht mein Handy hoffe der anderen auch :wink:

2 Likes

Try turning off photogrammetry in the options menu. This makes the game much, much more reliable.

2 Likes

Weird to see all these problems. I used to run the sim on Xbox from its release until last October when I switched to PC.

I recently reinstalled it to my series x with all my addons. It’s on the internal drive as I have a sea gate expansion, I only have two other games on the MSFS installed drive so I’ve left plenty of space.

These airports so far have not crashed once:

PD Boryspi
lPD Edinburgh
FSDT Zurich
Auscene Ballina
DD Moscow
PD Odesa
Gear down para de minas
Samscene Fukuoka
Homa Ahvaz
Flymex Monterrey
NZMC mount cook
Bmodels Venice
LVFR Madrid
Flytampa Vegas
LVFR Miami
DD Washington
DD Kracow
Just sim Stuttgart
Bmodels Bremen
PD Lviv

Sceneries

Orbx Sydney
Orbx London
Orbx central uk
Samscene New York
Samscene Busan wow
DD Seattle landmarks

I’ve used all of these with GA Aircraft. However I have loaded in the airbus and had success flying but the occasional CTD. I did a small flight from Zurich to Basel and it ctd as I was landing at Basel.

I made sure I had no airport service addons as I seemed to get regular crashes with Simultechs my replacement trucks.

I’ll test a few more but not had any trouble at all.

1 Like

So a quick update, just sim Düsseldorf crashed with grand caravan when I started up.

1 Like

Just bought iniScene’s Buffalo Niagara (KBUF) and it crashes 100% of the time within 3 minutes of loading in. I tried launching the flight with HDR off, 0 traffic of any kind, and with any potentially conflicting content uninstalled. Regardless of what other factors I controlled for, the result was the same: a crash within only a minute or two.

My experience is consistent with the hypothesis by @phutyoo that the issue is caused (at least partially) by animations, since this addon contains an animated radar tower. I also notice crashes at Asobo’s KDFW, which has an animated tram. That being said, the overall level of detail in the iniScene KBUF addon is fairly high, so the CTD may not be caused by an the presence of an animated object alone. It seems likely that there is some kind of memory issue with the sim that causes the sim to CTD when it is overwhelmed by relatively heavy addons.

Given that I experience the same crashing at DFW (not third party), it seems like the issue is with the weight and detail of the content, and is not a uniquely third-party issue. For this reason, I don’t think we should accept inaction from Microsoft/Asobo, despite their insistence that they aren’t responsible since this issue is mostly found in the presence of addons.

3 Likes

What plane are you using?

A320neo. I noticed that less advanced aircraft seem to reduce the rate of CTDs. Airliners are non-starters at detailed 3rd party airports.

1 Like

I believe it’s a VRAM issue with the Xbox. IIRC the console does not have dedicated memory like a PC, it uses a shared pool between video and the overall system memory. Apparently this is more efficient but still, if you’re using a GPU that has 8GB upwards of it’s own dedicated memory, this is surely going to result in fewer crashes. Because I think the Xbox is simply running out of memory and that’s why it frequently CTD’s. I transitioned to PC because the near constant, unpredictable crashes were infuriating me. I’ve had 2 CTD’s on PC in 4 months. Speaks volumes to me.

Edit: I appreciate not everyone has the ability to do what I’ve done. It’s unfortunate about the console, but it simply cannot run the sim in 4K, with the resources available. It needs to have the resolution scaled down. Or at the very least, give Xbox users the option.

On a PC I’ve seen the sim use upwards of 20GB system memory and 5-6GB of VRAM in intensive areas. And that’s at 1440p. Not 4K.

1 Like

I could live with two CTD in 4 months, at present I’m only running the bare sim, no 3rd party at all - I really want to get some ‘bling’ for the scenery etc and other planes but I just do not trust the sim at present to run them, at least this way i can at least carry on flying.

I am pinning a lot of hope on SU10 - I think if this fails it might be time for e to jump ship to a PC.

1 Like

If you have the resources mate I’d suggest doing that anyway. It’s just a much better, more immersive experience.

There’s never been a better time to build your own really, as GPU prices are tumbling fast. They’re still not cheap, but they’re getting better value with each passing week.