Challenge is, ntdll used by all apps for communication with underlying kernel.
Null pointer exception (c0000005) indicating memory access violation means process/app failed to write to the OS and that doesn’t give much information unless one has the source code of app to debug it.
My trail of post US update CTDs have evolved from occasional to every flight experiencing either an immediate CTD prior to take off, or loss of avionics and flaps a short time into the flight, followed later by a CTD. I am only flying the 172. Anyone else?
I am having the exact same issue with VCRUNTIME140.dll. I believe this has to do with AMD driver and Reverb driver. I am on 6800XT and Reverb G2. Flying 2d doesn’t seem to cause any CTD. But, in VR it is every flight that is over 30 minutes or so.
I’ve been having constant CTDs in VR (Reverb G2) since the release of VR mode in December. I have 10850K + 6800XT set up with 64GB RAM, and have tried everything that’s been suggested under the sun including multiple fresh installs of Win 10 as well as the sim and the AMD driver. I always end up with either the d3d11.dll or VCRUNTIME140.dll as the falling module in event viewer. I have not been able to fly in my G2 without a crash unless it’s a short 15 min airport hop. That is until yesterday. My computer has the GPU always pegged at 99%. I decided to offload the graphics so that the sim will bottleneck between CPU and GPU (flashing between limited by MT vs GPU). I did it by simply lowering the render scale in the sim. The utilization dropped from 99% to 60-98%, the junction temp dropped by 10c, and I was able to finish a 3 hour flight without crashing.
Just for clarification, my GPU is running on a custom water loop and the thermal is 50c edge /65c junction, so it’s not the thermal issue. No overclocking (CPU, GPU, Mem) all stock. I just another flight with 100% render scale and the sim crashed mid flight again.
So my guess is that the sim has an issue with putting max load on the driver. Even a few points below 99% utilization, the sim seems to be stable.
For those who are getting either d3d11.dll or VCRUNTIME140.dll related CTD, please check to see if this resolves the issue. This is not a permanent solution and MS/Asobo will have to fix this, but at least we can be assured that this is the issue with the sim. I have not experience any CTD in any other game/sim 24/7.
I am running another 4 hour flight with render scale reduced to offload the GPU ultilization. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I had 2 CTDs without error messages in a row while flying around London since the UK update and photogrammetry.
After having a look in the windows journal, the erors reported by the application were unknown errors (code 1000).
However on the side I did notice a warning about the computer running out of virtual memory with MSFS taking 33GB
I have 16GB Ram, and the page file spread between 2 SSDs : 8GB page file on the same SSD where MSFS is installed on, and automatic size on the other SSD (the one where Windows is installed).
in meanhwile is it known that with current msfs version in the area around London about 40Gig memory is necessary ( commited ). A Leak will never stop but here the memory is reduced if you come out of these area. Thus might be that these area needs optimizations. Also don’t forget the existing known issue together with the landmarks add-on.
I doubled the page file size of my manual SSD from 8 to 16GB and tried again. (but left the system SSD to automatic)
But this time I monitored the actual usage live while playing using the system resource monitor on a separate screen.
I also lowered the texture size in the game from ultra to high to see if that helps (and restart the game as recommended to take effect)
Take off from London city, fly around Buckingham palace
The game uses on average 10GB physical ram and 30GB page file.
Fly away from the city towards the south, I notice I have firefox open, so I close it.
The game’s physical memory usage goes down to 8GB, page file 28GB
Turn around, and fly to Heathrow.
When directly overhead Heathrow, Ram stays the same (8GB) even though there is some ram available, the game does not appear to try to use it. Page file usage goes up 30~31GB
The frame rate goes down significantly, but the game holds on.
I goof around Heathrow for at least 15 minutes, and the game appears stable.
I leave Heathrow, back to London city through London city center.
Mid-way through the transit, all of a sudden the page file shoots up to 34GB, the game slows down to a crawl, freezes for a second and CTD.
Windows event manager reports running out of page file and 3 seconds later the application crash for unknown reason.
I wonder if Windows automatic page file assignment could be freaking out when an application uses more than 2x physical RAM and would perhaps send some kind of signal to force MSFS to reduce page file usage (for which MSFS would fail and crash) ?
“System Managed” works by some rules:
See also ( and/or following the link within this post )
This rule mentioned that depend on your volume size you can have up to 3x RAM pagefile with system managed. Because these “depends on x” the auto-increasment not works as expected for some users ( e.g. with a smaller ssd ).
As say’d … try to manualy set a Max-Size that you come to overall to e.g. 48GIG or avoid for the moment the area around London/Heathrow.
And yes.. you own only 16GIG RAM and thus you should close all not necessary applications and in special Browsers which needs a lot of memory.
PS.: of course these kind of memory usage should be optimized within the application
I tried again with full manual Pagefile.
16GB + 16GB = 32GB total pagefile on disk (SSD)
This time I got lower memory usage when flying return London City <> Heathrow 1000~2000ft with 28GB pagefile. I also got better framerates.
Then I made a super low pass 200ft over the Thames river and this is where hell broke loose but the game did not crash. Framerate tanked, the memory usage spiked up to 39GB pagefile, the actual physical memory usage went down from 10GB to 7GB. But no CTD.
As I climbed out, half the city graphics went blurry as the game apparently couldn’t load any new data.
It took about a minute for the game to clean up the graphics and recover. I finished the flight uneventfully.
Thank you for your help.
I agree the memory usage should be the game’s responsibility. Especially for a game with highly dynamic RAM usage like MSFS. At this point, it’s not just an optimisation issue. It’s plainly taking huge quantities of memory without checking the memory budget.
I’m going to have a look at RAM prices to see if I get increase my computer’s RAM. This should help the situation and reduce the game’s reliance on dumping data to virtual memory on my SSDs.
Maybe the CTD have a relation to location where someone fly. Today I have the time to fly the same IFR route twice. At each flight I get a CTD.
I’m supriced that the location boths time are nearby
flight N|49.149117775976 E|2.7660642761407|
flight N|48.989849858837 E|2.6068491980146|
Have anyone the same experience with CTD at the same location? For me it’s looking like the location where the sim begin to load the photogrammetry data for Paris.
I think (at least in a lot of cases) it’s the AI traffic. My CTDs don’t appear to be related to location, page file, run-as-admin or any other of the suggestions I’ve seen. Since turning off the AI traffic I have flown 38 hours around the world with no issue. But turn on AI traffic… boom. CTD within 20 minutes regardless of location. Unfortunately the experience of flying with no other traffic significantly reduces both the realism and enjoyment of the game. I have a solid rig with 64GB, i9 processor, GeForce RTX 2070 super, SSD etc.
I’ve been reading this post for the last days, my good lord. People are very frustated.
After i read a little it start to come to my head the USA update. I was more than 1 month without flying in the USA, CTD all over it.
Now with the UK update same thing.
I can’t fly in some parts of Europe but in other areas i did several flights.
I did 6 flights in Portugal, The Azores with 9 islands and 9 airports ; Iceland 3 flights and now South Africa 1 flight. Last friday i flow in Caribbea 2 flights.
Now i stuck in EBAW airport and trying to fly to LPPD. As soon as i reach UK airspace CTD.
I’m flying with my settings on ultra and with AI Traffic Offline ON and AI AIrline and GA set to 100%
FPS 60%
Maybe because i’ve been flying away from the update area and in areas with low scenery density.
Anyway work for me to be away from the update area.
Last time in USA i was only able to fly after the update in December or January. So i will wait a little more… again…
Three last fights since UK update Gatwick to Dublin all CTD mid flight - roughly similar spot entering Wales - minimal mods - stable A32NX - only BA livery - SimBrief - navigraph - Pilot2atc… wasn’t getting any CTD before this… voted.