CTD when connected to the internet

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
No

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
When I start the steam version of FS2020 the game always crashes on the loading screen before the main menu even show up. The login window shows up but it’s black. When I disconnect my PC from the internet I can start the sim and even start a flight. When I connect the internet it directly crashes. I tried logging out of my Microsoft Account on my whole system and also go into the sim offline and log out there but every time I try to start the sim my account shows up again. Also the logout window when offline was black as well.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
It happens every time I start the steam version since sim update 5 is installed. I tried reinstalling my Windows installation, and also my sim several times and got the game pass version with the same Microsoft account to check if something is wrong with my account but the game pass version launches online without problems.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
Asus Rog Strix X570-E
Ryzen 9 3900X
Asus Rog Strix RTX2080Ti
32 GB RAM

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Steam

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
Yes - #112215

you tried that with the xbox app ?

Yes I logged out of the store Xbox app etc. but it did not work, the login screen in the sim is still blacked out and the account shows up as logged in while the sim checks for updates…

you have two different MSFS installations at one PC ? :thinking:

Yes but just because I wanted to try if something’s wrong with my system or not and obviously it runs great on the store version. It does not make any difference if the second one is installed or not.

hmmmm… may be there are other users with experiance of these situation. These black-window is the login and who knows, may be there is an issue if the game is installed in two different “ways” ( may be these windows permission storage contains some entries which the app now not ‘like’ ).

A post was merged into an existing topic: Repeated CTD’s 1.18.14.0

It has nothing to do with the second installation, that was just to test if something on my system is wrong or if it’s something with the steam version maybe a corrupt file or something like that. And to be able to fly again finally…

Same behaviour before installing the store version as well it’s obviously some problem with the steam version not letting me log out and login again to my account.

I remember a user “moved” the steam app ( the 1.09 gig ) to another drive ( I guess its similar to a verfiy or re-install ). But in these case backup your “packages” folder, otherwise you must redownload all the content again. But so far I understood you tried this already.

Beside of an application whichs block the app from steam… hmmm… I remember an old issue, where users run into trouble in case they started not in full-screen mode ( but, not sure about ). The other thing I remember was account issue, but not followed that and , so far I remember, all of these was not a crash.

May be it is a completly different reason… have you already checked the error message from windows event viewer ? Something special ?

Yes I tried that already, also did a full reinstall of the sim, and even formatted all my disks and installed windows again… I get the ucrtbase.dll error in the event log which leads to missing US language pack or C++ runtime libraries but I tried all of these things also reinstalled windows directly with the US language option but still getting the same crash.

Also tried disabling the firewall and defender etc. doesn’t make a difference.

I found another thread with the same issue but no solution… He has the problem for over 6 months already :frowning:

and also issues with sound driver :slight_smile:

Have you installed such tools like Asus Sonic Radar / Suite ?.. or can you find a windows service called Nahimic ? If yes, desinstall the tools and disable the service. ( note: it comes often auto-installed
)

You can also do a test to disable the windows audio service , start msfs , and start the windows audio service. Would be a bit strange that it works in case Game-Service install, but who knows.

And have you some “performance tools” running, like Process Lasso ?

Yes forgot about the sound drivers. Already made sure of all of this. No Nahimic service installed, tried disabling the audio service, reinstalling drivers etc. Also no tools installed like that.

The interesting thing is that everything worked before the update and since steam and store are basically identical except where the flightsim.exe gets downloaded from it’s strange that the store exe runs without problems then. If there’d be an issue with a driver or something I would assume the store version would also not run since it’s basically the same program. That’s why I think it’s an account, cloud save problem related to the steam version. But steam support told me there’s nothing they can do except the workaround for deleting the cloud save which did not work unfortunately.

yes, therefore I thought also somewhat about the accounting. On other side is the “application” not exact the same as MS-Store install, e.g in point of loaded dlls.

You can of course tweek the steam files… there is a local cache of it. We had somewhere a topic because a user had a issue with a profile setting. But what these have to do with the account… hmmm.

ah… I found my bookmark with the summary: Steam - CTD on Startup (after splash screen) - #11 by eaglechlapf6920
there are other usefull links in that thread :slight_smile:

Thank you! But unfortunately this is the exact thing I already figured out and also got told to do by Zendesk and Steam support but it did not work.

1 Like

I’m having a random flashback to the old beta (before release beta and not using steam at the time) where I had a similar problem. I think I had to actually go onto my xbox account using chrome, I’m try to remember what I did. I will revert once my brain starts to function again.

Can you try going onto your xbox account using a Web browser and check your account security settings to ensure you can allow communication with other users etc…

I’m still thinking by the way for alternatives… It seems to me that it’s linked to your profile.

Still not solved? I’m having the same issue.

But I just got on a little breakthrough by going offline on steam. Leave internet on. But restart steam in offline mode. I got a bit futher. Now i’m gonna reinstall first.

That’s where I am at. Ill turn my wifi off, start the game then turn the data setting off, then can turn my internet back on. But if I flip data back on then it immediately kicks me off.