CTDs worse for me after Hotfix 1.18.15.0

After the first tests of hotfix 1.18.15.0, the CTDs introduced with SU5 seem even worse to me. Before SU5 I had no CTDs at all.

Still alwas the same cause for CTDs acording to the eventlog: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll.
I think I´ll have to take a break from FS2020… Do not want to re-install, but might have to…

P.S.: I´m on the boxed version, Windows up to date, Zendesk # #113782 (no response since 30.7.) :slightly_frowning_face:

I just tested out the latest hot fix and had my first ever CTD

Sigh…

I’m not really enjoying this sim anymore.
Just all frustration at this point

16 Likes

Yep, my first ever ctd was 1.18.14 and my second was 1.18.15. It’s been happening to me on each of the flights after I land someplace and then takeoff to another. Seems if I just take off and fly and land I’m ok. Also seems to be flights of about 30 mins for me when it happens. Submitted another Zendesk report with details

2 Likes

I can’t even get 1.18.15 to open. I get a CTD every single time I launch the game at about 80%. Never had this issue before this. Trying to figure out the solution, but this is so frustrating.

2 Likes

I hate to say it, but it may be time for a re-install. Gotta weigh the time fixing it versus the time it would take to start over. Copy the contents of your community folder to another folder, and start from scratch. Been there. Good luck.

Try disconnecting from the internet and opening the game. That worked for me for whatever reason. Then you can reconnect once you are in the game.

1 Like

Ultra settings crash for me the moment I load a flight. Then I tried high with some settings elevated. Specifically, texture synthesis & terrain vector data up to Ultra causes me to CTD once again.

On high (w/ ultra clouds), I can go up to at least LOD 3.0 if not more without issue. So you could try to play around with your graphic settings.

Ryzen 3600
32gb DDR4 (XMP Profile 1)
3070 RTX

CTD repeated for me even after the hotfix today, like come on Asobo we payed for this game we didn’t pay for it to be beta version

8 Likes

I just reinstalled completely right before the initial SU5.

Something else is going on.

Is your community folder empty? If not clear it restart the sim…

I did a re-install on Friday to try and resolve an issue with the Asobo 787.That took almost 7 1/2 hours for 150 Gb d/load and install just for MSFS with no Community add ons thinking there was a problem with the 1st hotfix.Then found out that it was something new where the fuel pumps weren’t on when I clicked ctrl+E.Oh well,I had nothing better to do all day.LOL.

CTD’s which used to occur previously are cured. However, there are new CTD’s now.

I landed at an airport, reached the gate. The logbook came up. I clicked on “Continue”, and that’s exactly what it didn’t do! I was back to my desktop !

2 Likes

My experience:
SU4: No CTDs
SU5: few CTDs, I would say 30% of the time
SU5 Hotfix 1: no more CTDs
SU5 Hotfix 2: So far CTD or Frozen computer 7 out 8 attempts

My 8 attempts to use MSFS SU5 Hotfix 2

Attempt #1: computer frozen, had to do a hard reset. No Mods.

Attempt #2: computer frozen, had to do a hard reset. No Mods.

Attempt #3: deleted UsrCfg and content.xml. No Mods.
Game started. Flight started on Autopilot. (vanilla Icon A5)
CTD one minute after takeoff.

Attempt #4: One Mod: Icon A5 improved, updated for SU5.
Game started. Flight started. Take off.
Flew over a nearby PG city.
CTD after a few minutes.

Attempt #5: No Mods.
CTD in the World Map when zooming to select an airport. Never happened before.

Attempt #6: No Mods.
CTD in the World Map when zooming to select an airport.

Attempt #7: No Mods.
Clean reinstall of NVIDIA drivers because why not.
Launched the game.
Did not zoom in the World Map, typed airport names instead.
Started flight (vanilla Icon A5).
CTD after about 2 or 3 minutes of flight.

Attempt #8: No Mods.
Launched the game.
Zoom in the World Map, no issues.
Started flight (vanilla EXTRA EA-300).
Same airport as before, same flight pattern.
No CTD.
Flew about 10mns above a PG city for testing at various altitudes: no CTDs
Switched plane to the TBM930: no CTDs

Hope everyone else has a better experience.

4 Likes

For those who are overclocking their gears, could you try routine flights without it pls?
It might help to see an eventual hardware related issue.
Worth a try.

Did that to no avail… :disappointed:

same, still experiencing CTD:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001a12757
Faulting process id: 0x4590
Faulting application start time: 0x01d78b39292799df
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 3840d15a-7ea0-40fb-8821-d6f551db69e9
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: MoAppCrash
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
P2: praid:App
P3: 0.0.0.0
P4: 00000000
P5: FlightSimulator.exe
P6: 0.0.0.0
P7: 00000000
P8: c0000005
P9: 0000000001a12757
P10:

Attached files:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER166.tmp.mdmp
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2AF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2C0.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2BE.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2CF.tmp.txt
\?\C:\Users\camov\AppData\Local\Temp\WER37D.tmp.appcompat.txt

These files may be available here:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_Microsoft.Flight_cfb7a559b2f18f582f02775225dfb86ede338_0751fc29_cab_9e253215-8429-4eb9-a4fd-d4476a4a7aa4

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Status: 4
Hashed bucket:
Cab Guid: 0

Fault bucket 1387485479124401561, type 5
Event Name: MoAppCrash

Problem signature:
P1: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
P2: praid:App
P3: 0.0.0.0
P4: 00000000
P5: FlightSimulator.exe
P6: 0.0.0.0
P7: 00000000
P8: c0000005
P9: 0000000001a12757
P10:

Attached files:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER166.tmp.mdmp
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2AF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2C0.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2BE.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2CF.tmp.txt
\?\C:\Users\camov\AppData\Local\Temp\WER37D.tmp.appcompat.txt

\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Microsoft.Flight_cfb7a559b2f18f582f02775225dfb86ede338_0751fc29_9e253215-8429-4eb9-a4fd-d4476a4a7aa4

Analysis symbol:
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: a67f25e9e36116e0834156b12a38fd99

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Problem signature:
P1: 141
P2: ffff810f2e68a050
P3: fffff8063e646958
P4: 0
P5: 4590
P6: 10_0_19043
P7: 0_0
P8: 768_1
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\?\C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20210807-1108.dmp
\?\C:\Windows\TEMP\WER-7339765-0.sysdata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER84C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER85C.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER85D.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER86E.tmp.txt

\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Kernel_141_a0b686293ff869957c4fae779366e1307f117656_00000000_cab_dd9a52d2-4ab8-464e-b3e5-33c208f4421e

Analysis symbol:
Report Id: dd9a52d2-4ab8-464e-b3e5-33c208f4421e
Report Status: 4
Hashed bucket:

Fault bucket LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Turing_3D, type 0
Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Cab Id: dbabd42d-0c9d-476d-92eb-6046bbb22be3

Problem signature:
P1: 141
P2: ffff810f2e68a050
P3: fffff8063e646958
P4: 0
P5: 4590
P6: 10_0_19043
P7: 0_0
P8: 768_1
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\?\C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20210807-1108.dmp
\?\C:\Windows\TEMP\WER-7339765-0.sysdata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER84C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER85C.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER85D.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER86E.tmp.txt
\?\C:\Windows\Temp\WER2EA1.tmp.WERDataCollectionStatus.txt

\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_141_a0b686293ff869957c4fae779366e1307f117656_00000000_cab_dd9a52d2-4ab8-464e-b3e5-33c208f4421e

Analysis symbol:
Report Id: dd9a52d2-4ab8-464e-b3e5-33c208f4421e
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket:

I have followed the standard Zendesk trosublhooting method, reformat again my PC, fresh windows install nothing on the windows except the basic stuff that needed the game to run and still CTD.

Hi Camo,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Flight Simulator Support. We have received your ticket. Our team will respond as soon as they are able. Please note that due to a higher volume of tickets than normal it may take some time for your to receive a response.

Please visit the Knowledge base and the Official Forums to find solutions to common issues. Bookmark the Known Issues list to receive updates or follow us on Twitter | Facebook | Discord

Please close this ticket if your issue is fixed after July 30th, at 8 am PT (1500 UTC)'s Hot Fix.

Before our team comes back to you to gather more information, please ensure you have taken the necessary precautions to install and test the new build in a vanilla state (i.e. without interfering programs that may be responsible for the issue).

Doing so will greatly aid us in our investigation.

We also recommend adding screenshots and video captures to illustrate the issue better.

If a feature is not working as intended / true to life, feel free to provide documentation/information that the Design team can review.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide as many details as possible. Once our team has reviewed the information we will provide troubleshooting steps or record the issue in our internal bug and issue tracker.

I. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE INSTALLED PENDING UPDATES

While you may be on an up-to-date version of the OS, there may be essential application updates waiting to install.

• Click on Start (the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of your screen)
  • Select Settings
  • Go to Update & Security
  • Stay on Windows Update
  • Click the Check for Updates button.
  • Wait until the verification is finished.

II. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE INSTALLED STORE UPDATES & REFRESHED THE CONNECTION TO THE MICROSOFT STORE APP

Apps and services such as Gaming Services and the Xbox app are constantly updated. To make sure you’re running the latest version, install Store updates regularly.

• Click the Store icon pinned to your menu bar or type “Store” in the “Type here to search bar” next to the Start icon then select “Open”
  • In the top right corner of the Microsoft Store app—next to your profile icon—click on the Arrow icon or the three-dots menu.
  • In the drop-down menu, select Downloads and updates.
  • Click Get updates then Update all and wait for the updates to install.
  • Once the updates are installed, click on your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
  • Click on your email address.
  • Click on Sign out.
  • Click on the icon in the top right corner, then click on Sign in.
  • Sign in with the email address used to purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator

III. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SYNCHRONIZED TIME SETTINGS

Incorrect Time & Location settings can prevent you from signing in or authenticating your DLCs, or prevent you from purchasing in the Marketplace.

• Go back to Start, then select Settings > Time & Language.
  • Select Date & Time and toggle the “Set time automatically setting" and “Set time zone automatically” to ON.
  • Click on Synchronize your clock to synchronize your system’s clock with an Internet time server.
  • Then click Region, double-check that your country or region is correctly set up (for example if you live in Canada, make sure that the region isn’t automatically set to the USA or vice-versa)

IV. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MOVED THE COMMUNITY FOLDER AND DISABLE 3RD PARTY APPS

You should not download and test a new build before moving the community folder and disabling apps such as navigraph, littlenavmap etc…

• Close Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • Navigate to the Community Folder that is located by default at the following location:

MICROSOFT STORE VERSION: C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages

STEAM VERSION: AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages

BOXED VERSION: C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\MSFSPackages

NOTE: If you have installed the packages on a different drive than C: you’ll need to look inside your custom installation folder instead.

• Copy-cut (CTRL + X) the Community Folder
  • Paste (CTRL + V) the Community Folder on your desktop for instance

V. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE DISABLED PROGRAMS KNOWN TO CAUSE CONFLICTS

Before launching a new build, disable ALL non-essential apps on startup and disable ALL non-Windows apps and processes from running in the background before installing and testing the new build.

Pay particular attention to the programs from this list:

• Seagate Toolkit

• Nahimic service

• Asus Sonic Studio 2

• Windows Audio Service

• Garmin Express

• WD Backup

• Logitech G Hub

• Project Lasso software

• MSI Afterburner / Riva Tuner Statistics Server

• EVGA Precision

• OBS

• Xsplit

• Discord

• MacType

• Warsaw Banking App

• Wallpaper Engine

• A-Volute Sound studio

• Malwarebytes

• Trend Micro Maximum Security

• Comodo Antivirus

• Sophos

• Emisoft Anti-Malware

• Avira

• Avast & Avast Cleanup

• Bullguard

To disable apps on startup

• In the Windows Search bar, type “Task Manager”
  • Select Open
  • Go to the Start-up tab
  • Disable all non-Microsoft applications and services
  • Reboot the computer
  • Try launching Microsoft Flight Simulator again

To disable apps from running in the background wasting system resources

• Open Settings.
  • Click on Privacy.
  • Click on Background apps.
  • Under the “Choose which apps can run in the background” section, turn off the toggle switch for the apps you want to restrict.

VI. TEST THE NEW BUILD IN A VANILLA STATE

We recommend launching a flight or two in a vanilla state before reinstalling the community folder and enabling non-essential programs and background processes.

1. Test your mods.

• Find the community folder you moved earlier

• Copy-cut (CTRL + X) the Community Folder

• Navigate to the Packages folder

• Replace the (CTRL + V) empty Community Folder with your Community folder

If the sim starts crashing or behaving abnormally after reinstalling the mods, you’ll need to investigate which add-on is not compatible anymore with the base sim.

2. Test your apps and background processes
Enable your non-essential programs and background processes. If the sim starts acting up, you’ll need to investigate which programs are causing a conflict or putting too much strain on the system.

VII. INVESTIGATION

If the problem occurs in a vanilla state, please update this ticket and provide as much information regarding the problem as possible, and how to reproduce it.

For example, provide information such as:

• What is the error message?

• When did the issue start?

• Is the issue happening with all aircraft? What aircraft is impacted?

• What do you expect to happen? What is actually happening?

• What are the steps to reproduce the issue?

• etc…

Kind regards,
Microsoft Flight Simulator Support Team

UPDATE 8/8/2021:

This are the only apps (highlighted in green)running at the background in my PC guys

1 Like

Never had any CTD and I started playing this sim since day 1, unfortunately thanks to this latest hotfix my sim CTD all the time… It this can help, I have noticed that I start facing this issue since I switched my graphic profile to ULTRA (before I was on custom).

I am running on a very hi-end PC (Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero, Intel Core I9-11900k, RTX3090, 32GB Corsair dominator Platinium 3200MHz, Samsung SSD 980 pro 2TB gen4, …) with no overclock.

I switched the global rendering profile to Medium and loaded one of the discovery flights and now it is running with no CTD, however, as soon as I switch it back to ULTRA it CTD again…

P.S. prior this update I was on ultra and I don’t have anything inside the community folder

4 Likes

Havn’t had a CTD since April, literally been counting the days, even after SU5 still no CTD.
Then come yeserdays hotfix, and now CTD non stop, mostly when landing at an airport after touching down or exiting a flight.

2 Likes

I got Zendesk ticket ##116960 last week , that’s nearly plus 3200 since your ticket. I wonder if they can handle this stream of tickets. :sweat:

Hmm a .Net issue seems odd
Just an FYI not sure it applies but an unstable overclock can corrupt your windows and other software installs, meaning even going back to stock settings won’t help, only a full windows reinstall or backup would repair the damage.

Unless your system can pass 24 hrs with P95 without errors it’s not stable imho and even then not worth the risk of some hidden instability. The engineers who make the hardware push them to their limits and more often then not your not going to do any better without consequence.

Overclocking for anything more then a record benchmark score is just not viable anymore from my experience and I wish the whole idea would vanish into history, creates far more problems then it solves and now days 99% of people doing it have no idea what they are doing.

I would wager 70+ Percent of issues are caused by current or past OC’s