Disappointed in Sim Update 5

One positive thing, I guess I don’t have to invest in better hardware the coming years.

4 Likes

well, when the right version SU5 makes you go to zendesk because you simply cannot fly, and if after 3 days waiting for a solution and all they do is send you the following questionnaire. So to “update to the latest version and test” would be only an additional line to the generic idiot’s guide for a pc game to work without most common and related conflicting code removed" which the support team provides as part of their " support services": Ticket opened due to CDT upon pressing “Fly”
:
ACCOUNT AND BILLING ISSUES

If your issue is with the forums or your Microsoft account/gamertag, please respond to this message with your gamertag and the email address used to purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator. Our team will come back to you as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience while our team is working through the tickets.

STEP 1 — INSTALL PENDING UPDATES

While you may be on an up-to-date version of the OS, there may be essential application updates waiting to install.

• Click on Start (the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of your screen)
• Select Settings
• Go to Update & Security
• Stay on Windows Update
• Click the Check for Updates button.
• Wait until the verification is finished.

STEP 2 — INSTALL STORE UPDATES AND SIGN OUT

Apps and services such as Gaming Services and the Xbox app are constantly updated. To make sure you’re running the latest version, install Store updates regularly.
• Click the Store icon pinned to your menu bar or type “Store” in the “Type here to search bar” next to the Start icon then select “Open”
• In the top right corner of the Microsoft Store app—next to your profile icon—click on the Arrow icon or the three-dots menu.
• In the drop-down menu, select Downloads and updates.
• Click Get updates then Update all and wait for the updates to install.
• Once the updates are installed, click on your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
• Click on your email address.
• Click on Sign out.

STEP 3 — SYNCHRONIZE TIME SETTINGS

Incorrect Time & Location settings can prevent you from signing in or authenticating your DLCs.

• Go back to Start, then select Settings > Time & Language.
• Select Date & Time and toggle the “Set time automatically setting" and “Set time zone automatically” to ON.
• Click on Synchronize your clock to synchronize your system’s clock with an Internet time server.
• Then click Region, double-check that your country or region is correctly set up (for example if you live in Canada, make sure that the region isn’t automatically set to the USA or vice-versa)

STEP 4 — REBOOT THE COMPUTER

Do not skip this step, as it is to ensure all changes are correctly applied.

STEP 5 — SIGN IN TO THE MICROSOFT STORE APP

Don’t forget to sign in to the Microsoft Store again.
• Open the Microsoft Store app.
• Click on the icon in the top right corner, then click on Sign in.
• Sign in with the email address used to purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator

STEP 6 — MOVE THE COMMUNITY FOLDER AND DISABLE 3RD PARTY APPS

We do not recommend downloading and testing the new build before moving the community folder and disabling apps such as navigraph, littlenavmap etc…
• Close Microsoft Flight Simulator
• Navigate to the Community Folder that is located by default at the following location:

MICROSOFT STORE VERSION

C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages
STEAM VERSION

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages
BOXED VERSION

C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\MSFSPackages
NOTE: If you have installed the packages on a different drive than C: you’ll need to look inside your custom installation folder instead.
• Copy-cut (CTRL + X) the Community Folder
• Paste (CTRL + V) the Community Folder on your desktop for instance

STEP 7 — DISABLE PROGRAMS KNOWN TO CAUSE CONFLICTS

Disable ALL non-essential apps on startup and disable ALL non-Windows apps and processes from running in the background before installing and testing the new build. Pay particular attention to the programs from this list:

1. Seagate Toolkit
  2. Nahimic service
  3. Asus Sonic Studio 2
  4. Windows Audio Service
  5. Garmin Express
  6. WD Backup
  7. Logitech G Hub
  8. MSI Afterburner / Riva Tuner Statistics Server
  9. EVGA Precision
  10. OBS
  11. Xsplit
  12. Discord
  13. MacType
  14. Warsaw Banking App
  15. Wallpaper Engine
  16. A-Volute Sound studio
  17. Malwarebytes
  18. Trend Micro Maximum Security
  19. Comodo Antivirus
  20. Sophos
  21. Emisoft Anti-Malware
  22. Avira
  23. Avast & Avast Cleanup
  24. Bullguard
    To disable apps on startup
    • In the Windows Search bar, type “Task Manager”
    • Select Open
    • Go to the Start-up tab
    • Disable all non-Microsoft applications and services
    • Reboot the computer
    • Try launching Microsoft Flight Simulator again

To disable apps from running in the background wasting system resources
• Open Settings.
• Click on Privacy.
• Click on Background apps.
• Under the “Choose which apps can run in the background” section, turn off the toggle switch for the apps you want to restrict.

STEP 8 — INSTALL THE UPDATE AND TEST THE NEW BUILD

Warning: If you move the installation folder without updating the UserCfg file, you will re-download the whole game. For detailed instructions, head to Can I choose or change the installation path? (Install on the D: drive instead of the C: drive for instance) – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com) - Likewise, if you have missed a few updates you will reinstall most of the game.

We recommend launching a flight or two without mods before reinstalling the community folder. If the sim is stable without mods then, it is time to test your mods.
• Find the community folder you moved earlier
• Copy-cut (CTRL + X) the Community Folder
• Navigate to the Packages folder
• Replace the (CTRL + V) empty Community Folder with your Community folder

If the sim starts crashing or behaving abnormally after reinstalling the mods, you’ll need to investigate which add-on is not compatible anymore with the base sim.

1 Like

My question is simple: where is MS/Asobo? We deserve a answer.

11 Likes

This is exactly the issue, thank you for posting it so clearly!

For clarity, the file isn’t named “user.cfg.” It’s UserCfg.OPT."

Here: Please Open A Communication Channel - #8 by Jummivana
and here: Why the silence MS and Asobo? - #171 by Jummivana

1 Like

Those aren’t answers, they are vague promises of some future communication without even a date. If they wanted to simmer people down they should put something in News and Announcements even if it’s just a comment saying a full communication is coming and specify the date. You’d think there is a PR person somewhere in the org, wouldn’t you?

3 Likes

Thanks. Well, now it’s wait and see what’s next.

1 Like

Seeing the last screenshot brings pain

2 Likes

Thanks for this, sorry for delay in replying. I installed X-Plane 11 HD Mesh Scenery v4 and that helped a lot, but I will check out your suggestions as well - much appreciated. I am keen to check out ORTHO tool.

Did same on my Linux.

duplicate post… sorry

I see this EVERYWHERE. What the hell is that artifact. Oh, and If you hit it with floats you’ll crash too. Ridiculous

1 Like

And NO water rudders to avoid them! I’m going back to Microsoft Flight…

2 Likes

And it takes YEARS of development to get a flight sim “right”, if at all. There’s always been some compromise if you look at the history of flight sims (most don’t make it through their planned life cycle and some drag on because there’s nothing else there).
Every major/drastic change or update will have it’s issues due to the complex nature of a sim. Especially one such as MS2020 with it’s groundbreaking implementations of technology in current gen sim. If you’ve been in the flight sim community for as long as I have, we’ve never had anything come anywhere close to the visual fidelity of MS2020 that we’re taking for granted today.
Modeling the entire world on the fly with satellite imagery? who woulda even thunk it just a few years ago but here we are. But apparently, others are not so easily impressed.

1 Like

you might like this. Microsoft Flight Unofficial Website · GitHub

1 Like

To be fair, the game looked amazing and worked pretty good not so long ago. Now we have have multiple graphics downgrades and crashing issues again. So yea people are understandably ■■■■■■ off.

6 Likes

Never achieving greatness because of financial or technical limitations is understandable. But achieving greatness then reverting to something mediocre is very very sad.

Asobo spent years fine tuning the graphics, the details, the feel of the simulator to make it the piece of art it was. Then they got tasked to make it run in Ultra on a $300 console. I don’t care how good you are, something has got to give. In our case, a lot gave.

9 Likes

depend on your vision or greatness. they made millions off the sale of the sim (and consoles). I guess some could say that’s great (cough cough, microsoft, cough).

not to say I dont agree with you. SU5 has been terrible. I had SU4 on high, but now even ultra doesnt look as good on SU5.

2 Likes

Keep in mind the images uploaded here are better quality than in the game The screenshots you take in game get compressed massively hiding a lot of the imperfections or making them seem not as bad. Then it also gets compressed when you upload it here.

I actually was against all the complains but after today and having a good 8 hours flying session, this update is pretty bad.

This is all on Ultra highest settings top of the range PC 3080.

Clouds are… terrible now.

sdvb

This mountain i fly over often used to have lots of terrain and trees.

8 Likes