Disappointing mountain terrain (in the alps and many other areas)

I did up vote. However, I guess we need a single wishlist entry which should be like "Please ensure a High Level/Quality terrain mesh). It is a general issue (I believe they are working on it as seen in the latest update a bullet point related to DEM issues).
I am sure, given the level of detail in the photoscenery, that a HL mesh shall be attainable, while leave the ultra detailed state of the art mesh (e.g. at meter or submeter scale) for experienced developers like what we have for the Dolomites for XPlane. I guess a way to optimise the mesh resolution can be found such that when the DEM elevation profile varies a lot on small scale, you would increase the mesh, but when it is not, then you would be ok with a less granular sampling. Is there anyone knowledgeable with mesh algorithms and how do they work in the forum? Is there any algorithm doing some sort of spectral analysis to change in space the mesh resolution based on a high detailed DEM as source? Just curious…

3 Likes

I was also disappointed in many places. Considering how innovative the MSFS2020 project is, I hope that the developers will work on improving the visual side of the game and fix the evident shortcomings, at least in the most important, famous places. Let’s wait patiently, it’s just a playable beta :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

OMG. Those places in FS2020 looks really ugly

Computers become better every day. For those who has old PCs they can leave this level of detail (very, very bad level) but they have to provide for others who has better equipment highest possible MESH resolution for any area where data exist. And that is huge part of Europe and US ! If you have INTEL i9 10900K 32 GB RAM and RTX 2080TI or now RTX 3080 or RTX3090 and HDD space is cheaper than ever, all this problems are solved already ! Don’t tell me you don’t have money for new PC. I also have no money but I will find a way to get new parts for my PC. But I want high resolution MESH NOW ! Do you understand that??

By the way… Austria has HD Mesh 10 meter resolution, Italy 30, Norway 10 etc… But I know what is their intention… We have to PAY huge amount of money in order to have decent terrain model. And than with this melted mountains all over the place they call this sim revolutionary…

1 Like

Very hard !

As we probably all can agree on, Microsoft is not only targeting the people with “INTEL i9 10900K 32 GB RAM and RTX 2080TI or now RTX 3080 or RTX3090” but also a wide spectrum of older setups and even consoles. Of course, it will be possible to run HD or even UHD mesh and still have a smooth and enjoyable experience. What I was saying is that it besides other things, adds to the load on your system.

Easy now, easy now. I want it too, but I try to stay reasonable about it.

You know what is unreasonable?
If I demand HD or UHD mesh for the whole World. But I know it’s impossible even for Microsoft and Google together to make it at this moment.

But I know that US and big part of Europe have high resolution data. So it’s very reasonable to expect from me and from all other simmers to see this regions covered with 30 - 90 m resolution.

And about new processors. They have to stop make excuses PC’s has no enough power… Just one processor and you are good to go.

[Upgraded from i7-6700k to i7-10700k]

I wouldn’t be so pessimistic. Given the level of detail of the photoscenery and buildings/urban areas, a meaningful realistic mesh at a relatively high quality shall be expected and possible. Then there would be plenty of room to develop even more detailed mesh and I am sure a lot of people would buy selected areas.

1 Like

I understand that you’re not happy with the mesh (me neither) but I still fail to see how you can be so certain with your accusations. What are your arguments?
I see no evidence that they deliberately chose a low quality terrain model in order to sell a better one later. They decided to use Bing data for their scenery (imagery and elevation data) simply because of the fact that Microsoft already owns the data. I think this makes sense because it allows for a constant improvement of the scenery with relatively little effort and costs.
Moreover, they announced world updates on a regular basis (every 2-3 months) to polish up some regions, which may include better imagery and mesh. Neumann hinted at this in an interview with Rock Paper Shotgun (“we’ll get like, for example, an entire new hight field, maybe we acquire a bunch of new imagery”). It is confirmed that these world updates are going to be free.
While I share your disappointment with the terrain mesh, I don’t see any kind of hidden agenda or bad intentions here.

3 Likes

Here’s a screenshot from the Matterhorn in my X-Plane 11. I was flying some helicopter today.
With such a mesh in MSFS 2020 I would be very happy.

1 Like

Ladies and Gentleman,

The honor of the swiss alps is recovered!

13 Likes

Thank you!! :smiley::+1:t3:

That’s beautiful!
But: having to locally download and install a fix for every ■■■■ rock in the world doesn’t seem to be a very attractive solution.

9 Likes

The new and improved Matterhorn looks amazing.

10 Likes

Dear Asobo, please, take a look at these pictures.

4 Likes

yes it looks great from distance. But there are some problems with the “new” Matterhorn:

• if you go closer you can see the polygons oft the mesh. The mesh ist sharp and not smoth
  • a other problem ist the snow. If you cover the world with snow. The mesh looks the same as bevore

please do not misunderstand me. I think it’s great that people try things like that and give us great scenneries for free.
But i think that Asobo has to solve the problem with the mesh or at least publish a decent SDK for the terrain.

7 Likes

Yes, admittedly the Alps have a very disappointing look. Matterhorn seems an upturned ice cream cone, Mount Rosa is like a melted off pudding. Not to speak of the Dolomites, miles away from even the faintest idea of the real thing. The only possible exception is Mount Blanc - is that because it marks the border with France? :laughing: Those aspects make mountain flying very frustrating to say the least.
I will refrain from making comparisons with “other” sims, but for MSFS which is being praised for being a super photoreal VFR oriented sim, this is quite unexpected and difficult to justify.
I guess this is one of those areas where many of us expect some major improvements

6 Likes

If it can be done for one mountain, it can be done for all the mountains!

French mesh has a very good accuracy. It’s not only Mont Blanc. I flew in places I know very well in southern Alps, or in the Massif Central (the old mountains in the centre), and even in Brittany (the western tip). Everywhere, it’s great.

Peer my post above, and particularly the Spanish border… All countries aren’t equal.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/disappointing-mountain-terrain-in-the-alps-and-many-other-areas/186915/42?u=donquilmi29

That’s ortho4xp not X-Plane default.