Discussion: February 25th, 2021 Development Update

I installed the MSF2020 and activated it but then had to reinstall the program. When I try to activate the MSF2020 again it says the code has been already redeemed. I dont know what to do next. help please

Try this: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017701559

Crash to Desktop without error message is labelled as “ongoing improvements”??? I thought they’d found the simconnect issue and it was going to be fixed in Sim Update 3? Anyone have more on this?

excellent thank you so much. that helps. when i purchases the flight sim it includes 10 dvds which i did include for installation. the question for that is " is there more installation needed from the msfs2020?". when i activated the windows msfs2020 I then received info saying download needed. when i accepted that download it showed 88 gigs to download which for me was way too much. it took for ever so i stopped it and since there was still 80 gigs required i thought that was serisouly odd. i am thinking that much is not needed for download. is that correct?

i installed the game and all i want to do is start flight. where do i now start playing the game?

thx

RW

He is Reality XP :grinning:

@CptLucky8 Jean-Luc I do hope Asobo reaches out to you to establish some sort of cooperation.
You have provided so much excellent feedback in these past few months.

4 Likes

I’d love to see his products in MSFS!

1 Like

Your DVDs come with an old version. Such is the nature of hard media. If the sim needs to download additional files to update itself, you must download those before you start using the sim. So let it do its thing. Set it to download overnight if need be.

I am surprised anyone is buying anything on physical media anymore. Especially for a product that is going to be constantly updated such as MSFS.

Let me give you a perspective. The latest update for the sim was 30 Gigs… There were a TON of updates before the latest one, so I am honestly not surprised it wants to download 80 Gigs. You gotta let it do its thing. It’s NOT a small product.

1 Like

i installed the 10 disks for msfs2020. after activating the game it said i need to download about a gig which i did. when it seemed to be it, i then see Welcome, Set your experience, and it then shows that 88 gigs to be installed. when this happened the first time it took a few hours just to get to 3 gig and so much more required. i then stopped the download and deleted the msfs2020. i installed it again hoping it would be different but again i am back at the message where 88 gigs is at the Welcome, Set your experience again. maybe i dont want all that gigs. for the previoius games a person can decide if he or she wants north american area installed or asia or europe or all of it. i just want the north american area for flight. why do i need to install so much gigs? is it me or is it something i am missing and can change for installation?

please help
thank you
RW

You basically can’t choose to download less of the sim. So just let it download.
The main sim update from the windows store is just a base, and then once you start it it downloads all the packages and updates making the biggest part of the sim.
On top of that you then can decide to download the Japan, US and UK packages from the Marketplace, these are free and indeed optional. They improve the look of autogen buildings as well as contain additional handcrafted airports.

Installing from the DVDs therefore doesn’t make much sense anymore, if you once entered the activation key to your xbox account, you can install the sim via the store which will download the sim ending up with a similar amount of data since the DVD contents are outdated almost completely.

You’ll need to have DVD1 inserted to start it though. Here’s a hint how to avoid having the dvd in the drive:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tip-for-dvd-users-save-drive-space/199070

If you still have issues, please open a dedicated thread as mentioned above since it is getting off topic in this one.
If you need help in German, feel free to write me a direct message.

1 Like

That sounds about right. The DVD contains the packages as they were at launch. They have had several updates since then which are required to play.

You can’t decide what to download in this version. You have to get it all, so again… Just let it download if you want to use the sim.

Still no news for the possibility to improve building generation at distance…even if the “photogrammetry” topic is still one of the hottest one

Why not ? Maybe soon…

1 Like

I think RealityXP and such don’t have access to certain functions to be able to inject things such as Garmin trainers? Not sure of technical limitations as I am far from software development in my knowledge. Unless someone is able to put together a new unit from scratch, we will be waiting a while for that.

Maybe someone is able from scratch

1 Like

Hmmmmm… wonder who that someone may be. :wink:

I don’t know but I think there will be a new topic on that subject soon.

2 Likes

The main issue preventing our customers from flying with a Reality XP GTN or GNS in FS2020 has nothing to do with with the Trainer. You might want to read what is the actual reality and how this is also affecting the CJ4

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.