Discussion: March 4th, 2021 Development Update

VR

Where are these “wishes” coming from?

Screenshot of the VR bugs and issue 04MAR21 vs feedback snapshot VR

For example I can see this one in the list and I’m glad because it is paramount:

[BUG/FEATURE] Cockpit Size and World Scale in VR (217 votes)

TL;DR: The entire chain of IPD/ICD projection matrices must be cross checked with at least WMR OpenXR and SteamVR OpenXR drivers (the 2 most used) in addition to offering a user adjustable override (scale + bias factors).

But I don’t understand Martial’s answer about the “Brightness Slider”. I’m not certain he was joking or seriously not considering this an “important” feature. In my opinion (biased opinion being a developer too), what we really need in VR is not a “brightness” slider but something different:

[BUG/FEATURE] Implement a metering system better suited for VR (73 votes)

TL;DR: The Shader code behind the EyeAdaptation setting is fine in 2D but wrong in VR because of the difference between moving the head and moving the eyes.

Or maybe what is listed as a “brightness slider” in the snapshot is in fact the following, but in this case, it paramount to understand the community doesn’t want a brightness slider (well at least this is not what is voted for below).

Rather, they want a tone mapping scaler (gamma/white clipping), a color LUT adjustment in order to change the color space with similar values as XR_FB_color_space (Chromacity Primaries in CIE 1931 xy), and all the other “post processing” settings you’d find in UserCfg.opt being adjustable in the UI:

[BUG/FEATURE] Provide a Sharpen strength setting, and more post-processing effect controls in VR (127 votes)

TL;DR: Not all headsets gamut is the same and we need Tone Mapping Gama Slider + Tone Mapping Brightness Slider at a minimum (and more details in the topic)

And what about this one:

[BUG/FEATURE] FS2020 is breaking the VR golden rule: don’t move the camera, the user is (108 votes)

TL;DR: Nausea inducing and actually preventing a lot of customers flying in FS2020 in VR

And this one which is important for flying airliners or the future G3000/1000 improvements in VR:

[BUG/FEATURE] EFIS Screens Problems and Solutions for higher legibility (68 votes)

TL;DR: solutions for rendering EFIS screens with high resolution even if you don’t have a G2 and a 3090.

Or this one which is important in multi-player VR:

[BUG] Increase distance threshold to see other aircraft navigation and strobe lights at night (54 votes)

TL;DR: Bug where no other aircraft lights are displaying beyond about 5nm making an empty sky

PS: These VR topics I’ve listed above are prefixed with [BUG/FEATURE] because they are not only reporting a problem but they are also offering solutions which are readily implementable with minimal effort and time (all things considered of course).

@Jummivana
This is at least the 3rd time the “Feedback Snapshot VR” is presenting the same items, but these are again not representative of the actual community votes as shown above.

Please note we’re still waiting for a proper VR Wishlist forum. Therefore many VR only wishlist items are listed only in the VR Bug forum instead. Therefore the snapshot is making me wondering:

• Where were these items in the snapshot taken from?

• Why is it the snapshot is containing entries with far less votes that those in the VR Bugs forum I’m showing above?

• What about all the other wishlist requests listed in the VR Bugs forum?

Thank you for your hard work!

9 Likes