Do expensive CPU's and GPU's pay off in VR?

4090 + 13900k works like a charm.

But I only fly little Cessnas, sooooooo.

Edit,":

I upgraded the cpu first… nice bump.
Gpu second… butter.

Incredible job. Really good analyzing leaving almost nothing more to wish for.

It is a pretty good GPU for desktop flying, until you expect it to perform well at high resolution VR with high settings then it will struggle with performance and VRAM limits.

If by crafted you mean payware (like Orbx YSSY) and Asobo crafted airports (like KLAX, EGLL) they run fine with the PMDG 737 in all flight phases, normally giving me 35+ FPS but sometimes as low as 30 FPS if the weather is heavy too. Although I said most of my flying is GPU bound, big airports with lots of MP or AI aircraft is one where the CPU becomes the determinant of performance on my system and large cache on my 5800X3D really helps with the smoothness in these areas. I previously had an i9 10850K and it struggled and stuttered at these complex airports.

Edit: Just loaded up Concorde at Orbx YSSY with a few MP aircraft, lots of FSLTL aircraft and partly cloudy conditions (live weather). I’m getting 38 FPS external view and 41 FPS in the cockpit. You can see mainthread frame time is just slightly greater than GPU frame time, so I am marginally CPU bound and to me that is an excellent balance of component performance for such a scenario.

Same scenario but with PMDG 737. This one has me slightly GPU bound as the 737 is coded very efficiently.

…other than KanadeNyan gifting you their 7950X3D and 4090 :crazy_face:

2 Likes

For reference, there is a thread comparing my existing CPU (5950X) and X3D (5800X3D) that I owned at the time, if you are interested.
The results show that MSFS prefers a larger cache.

My conclusion so far is that YES, you can run VR on complex aircraft and on complex sceneries in a enough satisfying way. I mean, TLOD: 200 and still having 36 FPS is really good enough for me.

It DOES PAY OFF

The problem for most people are that they must spend up to 4-5000$.
A lot, lot of money for most people and if you’re part of a family trying to please all kind of needs in the household it requires a skill level of argumentation that goes beyond Ultra settings to make your point, I guess. And also the fact that the family will recognize you carrying a headset 70% of the remaining life-time might cause some friction. Well … they wouldn’t understand would they? However this is not a social forum and you’re not curators or something :slight_smile:

In my case I stand before the choice to keep my 3070Ti and upgrade my CPU and int memory or bying something expensive and new.

Sounds tempting with the upgrade of the old pc but this is not a given solution either. My CPU i7-6700 is already the fastest CPU that my motherboard can carry.Yes it’s old stuff. Also I’m limited by max int memory 16 GB

So this means I have to:
1 Buy a i9-13900K 700$ (going from CPU bound to GPU bound I assume)
2 A new Motherboard 500$
3 And as my OS is related to the motherboad I guess I must pay for a Win11 170$
4 Extra memory 100$
5 Maybe I 'll need additional cooling or another power supply ??
6 Pay someone to do the job 200$

Around 2000$ all together and … maybe it will work.
The - it became better but not really that good, let’s buy something new - is not an option.

So it seems to me that going for a new PC something like a I9-13900K, RTX4090, 32GB int mem. for around 400$ is the number one choice currently.

1 Like

If Windows 11 is currently associated with your MS account, this is probably not necessary. You can transfer your license.

Yes, unfortunately, the power supply will probably need to be migrated, but since you already own a 3070ti, it may be enough. I think you will need at least an 850W power supply.
If you assume that the power supply conversion efficiency in the worst-case scenario is 80%, you will need at least 100/80 = 1.25 times the total power used by the parts, since we think that under typical MSFS load, it is approximately 500W when only the CPU is changed.

1 Like

it requires a skill level of argumentation that goes beyond Ultra settings to make your point

Try “It’s cheaper than a motorcycle!”

Unless you already have a motorcycle

1 Like

Not really, since the resolution of the final screen ( the screens in the headset ) dictates the visual experience. It is very hard to read dials and text from the pilots seat.

A 3080 helps greatly with the next biggest issue, frame rates, and I have seen my sim experience improve with Update 12.

I should mention that I prefer immersion to a pristine image (fs now offers a platform I would have given my eye teeth for in fsx days) and a flight model that is as responsive as the visual one.

You WILL have to give up on some eye candy to get a smooth vr experience with a medium powered rig, but it’s possible with some tweaking, and it’s my favorite mode to fly in…. Don’t need a big hardware setup or tweak projection parameters for multiple screens.

And aerobatics in vr is a whole other trip!

1 Like

Thank you for this also interesting input.
So it’s a bit comforting to know that others better equipped than me also have problem reading the instruments.

Well regarding tweaking, this is what I’ve spent most of my “sim” time with for more than a year.
With almost zero results. I still expect this to be something relaxing and uplifting like it was with fsx, not a bloody job. So my patience is definitely over and my career as a MSFS technician has come to an end. Time for pure piloting and to enjoy the astounding graphics that MSFS offers.

I think I’m not the only one.

Today I’ve tried to fly PMDG 737 from north of Europe to south Europe.
I had so far 7 VR disconnections (Cable and Air) 2 [ Your graphics device has encountered a problem etc …](Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem - #41 by FlyingNautiker) 3 Unexplanable Freeze and CTD’s. I’ve rebooted my PC 2 times and restarting my Oculus 4 times and I’m still not done.
Not really what to look forward to.

Mats

1. Start with the lowest settings in FS
  2. Make sure your VR setup is stable, and crashes are not an oculus /openXR/ graphics driver issue. This can take a while to fix and there are no guarantees if something is broken. Make sure your vr hardware is not being disconnected because of tracking or power saving issues.
  3. I run FS on a 8 year old machine i built myself, decent cpu, 32 G of RAM and a 3080 Ti. Old HTC vive pro. Physical yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals.

I can fly in medium graphics settings with live weather and PG on ( wired network connection ) , and also record in OBS.

After a lot of frustrations and crashes … so i am not saying it’s going to be easy, but it does work, and is worth it.

Thanks
Well after that flight i mentioned I rolledback my Nvidia driver. And then had an absolutely flawless flight from Lisbon to London.

And it’s really tricky as there sre so many potrential sources for problems.

I have plenty of patience when it comes to analyzing and testing after 40 years as a developer but it’s hard to see progress as every plan following a logic path do not pay off and the “bug” never relieves itself.

I appreciate your suggestion to start with lowest possible graphics and so eliminate problems step by step so to say.

I’ll give my setup a few more chances as it actually CAN behave decent now and then.

1 Like

Well, in case someone is interested, I just ordered a new PC i9-13900K turbo 5,4 Ghz 24 cores watercooled, GSX4090 24 Gb, 32GB int mem, SSD 2 TB.

The issues with my current PC comes with no logic at all. Low performance settings, high performance settings it doesn’t matter, connections drops and/or CTD’s keeps coming. Creating a stable situation to work from is not possible.Suddenly 3-4 flights works well and then the hell breaks loose again without any hardware or software changes. It’s like a haunted house and I’m done with it. After a couple of ours with my “hobby” I return to my family in flames. It shouldn’t be like that.

Thanks for all input.

2 Likes

Congrats, dude! That rig oughta serve you well for quite a while. I’m only on 13700K and 4080 and MSFS VR works very well with that for me.

5800x3d plus 4080, 3600 cl16, great performance in 4k2D and also VR. I just feel that there is not such a difference between medium, high and ultra settings in VR (HpG2) although making a huge difference in 4k2D. Even with medium settings, VR is enjoyable. I wouldn’t suggest to build a new Pc so you can set everything to ultra, you might be disappointed that ultra settings don’t make such a difference in the Vr experience. Eg, i can’t really appreciate the difference in terrain lod 100 or 200.

try to lower youre memory settings, this can cause strange problems…

I think you’ve made a great decision, primarily for the purpose of being able to enjoy your hobby. You summarised it very well, you shouldn’t be going back to your day to day life feeling stressed, it’s meant to be relaxing :slightly_smiling_face: Hope you enjoy your new PC.

1 Like

Congratulations on your new PC. I think it is a wonderful jump up from what you have now, no matter what you choose.
I hope it is comfortable.

1 Like

Ok, good to prepared not having “Ultra expectations” :slight_smile: