Early access to Public beta 1.21.17.0 is out

Join the beta if you can and you have access. Open to all MS Store customers tomorrow (Monday). Timing is to be worked out based on the feedback - see here for more details:

If it’s as solid as most of the early-access users seem to be suggesting hopefully beta testers can recommend a quick release.

Could you give a feedback if this is better now? I also have pretty bad stutters since SU7 on my 3080Ti

Realistic weather is not to have the weather matching exactly what you see outside your window, is to see weather front and different clouds in the sky reacting to the mountains and conditions at the time of getting the weather data. It is not to have the sky blanketed with the same clouds from start yo finish, from west to east and from south to north. If that will be the case then even the trailer for the game is now misleading.

6 Likes

I think many are not aware of this. And now we all have to step back 20 years for an ancient metar based weather system.

2 Likes

I don’t know, why an update with very important hotfixes like TrackIR or weathergeneration will hold back and only rolled out as beta. This should be a hotfix for all people!

5 Likes

If there’s no major issues it may end up being released this/next week. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Am I the only one who cannot find the TrackIR issue in that list?
I’m sure someone with early access confirmed further up in the thread that it had been fixed, so I’m not really worried.

I’m just surprised nobody has gone ballistic over it, yet. :smirk:

Are you also excluded as a steam user? I find that quite unacceptable. I paid the same as everyone else and would have liked to help make the sim better.

2 Likes

The topic starter who was already in the test mentioned Track IR was working. First post :wink:

Agree. I liked the way it was. Maybe the tag ‘Live’ is the thing that is misleading. Maybe ‘Realistic’ would have been the more accurate description based on recent but delayed weather being used. I really don’t care for live metar around airport weather so much tbh and I hate the crazy SU7 on/offdigital transitions, I do hope this beta eases that visual experience, but I would like to be able to just revert as an option to what we had before. I remain on the hopeful until I see what this beta holds transition wise.

3 Likes

They can’t just add a toggle to turn off METAR because everyone needs the same weather in Live weather; maybe they could add another preset though that is basically the legacy weather system pre SU7. Call the preset “dynamic weather” or something.

2 Likes

Lack of testing prior release made the hotfix necessary in the first place.

So have it tested by the community is a big improvement and should ensure that no hotfix will be required for the hotfix.

Of course it would have been great to make this available to everyone, including the Steam users, but that might have delayed things even more…

1 Like

What is the color banding issue everybody is talking about. Do you have an example?

Truer words have never been spoken. Thanks.

3 Likes

Do you think that a flight sim that can’t simulate foggy weather and low clouds is simulating a realistic weather? Because that’s what happened with Meteoblue-only approach we had before. Being realistic means simulating all of weather phenomena possible. Low IFR (like CATIIIb) conditions were non-existent, because Meteoblue’s numerical model has a too much spread out grid.
Visibility and cloud bases are notoriously hard to predict, I’d say close to impossible. That’s where METAR shines.

I know we all have different opinions about what “real weather” means, but remember that the weather they use isn’t called LIVE WEATHER without a reason. It’s meant to simulate live and real world weather conditions. You can’t do that by missing certain types of it.

Weather planning is a major part of flight simulation. We couldn’t do much of it since Meteoblue couldn’t predict local weather phenomena - exactly the thing that pilots dread, because it’s one that changes rapidly… and because we have zero weather planning gizmos inside the sim itself.

6 Likes

In every situation where there was a hard color/contrast gradient you’d see green/amber/cyan color grading, because Asobo somehow switched their rendering engine to 10bit instead of 16bit when SU5 dropped.
They couldn’t see it at first, because when you share a picture in the forum, it gets heavily compressed and they attributed those color artifact to compression artifacts.
When lots of people were sharing enough pictures, they finally realized what was happening.

It sometimes looked almost like a rainbow in the sky.

4 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, MSFS2020 is a 10 years planned project, right?
So, everything could’nt be implemented from the start. Some People are very impatient and anxious. Let’s talk about all that in a few years instead of babycrying.
I’m not saying that Asobo don’t make mistakes but please take a step back !!

6 Likes

those pictures a from the beta version or before ?

Before. The color grading is fixed now in the upcoming release, one can tell from many of the screenshots shared by people testing it now.

I suggest you scroll through this thread, lots of examples there:

1 Like