Finally In The Air - That Was Fun!

If you’re in VR, the Stream Deck is probably your better option to be honest. The other option would be to setup an encoder (or more) on a Leo Bodnar board and use that for input for knobs. The knobster per say wouldn’t really work in your situation. At least not ideally. Like 4 encoders (2 for each PFD / MFD or for GNS 530/430 along with your Stream deck for buttons would be pretty sweet for controlling Garmins when you can’t see what you’re doing.

My inner smart-■■■ has many comebacks to that comment that would be inapproriate for this forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well, the xbox does do generic keyboards, right? If you are able to create a proper usb descriptor, i would think why not? Be carefull with your vid&pid, it could still be refused because of these. But, if you can get it to work and want to publish it, take a look here How to get a PID code – pid.codes

Fun experiment though, i have a ‘normal’ s, not a series. But guess that should not matter. Maybe i will try this weekend (if i have a spare arduino that is and if the family allows an experiment on the xbox :sweat_smile: )

Cheers!

1 Like

I just want to say, I’m liking this thread although it really doesn’t apply to my use case…it’s what the forum should be about. Folks helping each other out to make the experience better…and unless I missed nobody has broken in with a “this sim sucks” post. Hope to see more of this.

5 Likes

“Generic USB keyboard” is where my hopes are.

It’s good point.

Other, a little edgy, approach will be hard hacking some old keyboard :wink:

2 Likes

It’s a very small mafia boss.

2 Likes

Ladies and Gentlemen.

I have good news for every Xbox Maker.
I tested Raspberry Pi pico with Circuitpython and successful send keystroke to Xbox. So it’s very likely all CP (with USB HID capability) compatible board can be, with little wood and electronics play, change into virtual cockpit.
Sadly not all controls can be emulated this way.

1 Like

Interesting- so emulating a generic Keyboard worked? I should try this, I have a Pi sitting around

Care to share some more details on how you did this?

You saved me to disassemble a project. That’s good to read! Did you find any caveats with vid&pid identifications?

What would be interesting though, is how to do a proper analogue values.

I’m guessing you’re emulating a generic keyboard with it then.

Yes my method is to emulate generic usb keyboard.

No vid & pid problems, thx to AdaFruit, witch I thing embed properly made USB devices with vid & pid in libraries.

There is a very small possibility for generic USB joystick also work. Or some tricks with mouse emulating. Right now it’s outside my interest.

I’m not sharing any specific instructions right now. Only thing I do was program my raspberry pi pico (it was laying at hand) with circuitpython (has ready USB libraries) and write simple script. Everything is almost out-of-the-box. Just drag and copy one file with cp and one folder with needed library.

Right now my script just send one keystroke per 5 sec. Nothing interesting but proves concept.

I promise to share more, maybe even write tutorial when I make something a little more interesting.

1 Like

It’s what i do so far.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.