Fix Controller profiles (Missing or Corrupting)

CM EDIT: removed part that breaks the code of conduct

For “years” now people have reported issues with missing or corrupt controller profiles, this normally means having to delete the profile as per support instructions, which means you also lose all your recorded flights, hours, achievements etc

PLEASE, look at this issue with some urgency and help users with these issues. I guess ideally a feature to download and save controller profiles locally (export) and ability to load them if any issues (import).
The current fix of deleting the whole profile is way too much.

I’m on my third problems in just over a year, tonight all I did was connect a new set of Rudder pedals, then on starting MSFS my Joystick had lost all of it’s profiles bar the default (empty)

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

While the post is dated I’ve been experiencing the same issues over the past month or more. Would love to solve this problem.

Same issues here over same
time period

Hello! Our team does read topics, so just a reminder to not call our specific members of the flight sim team when posting. I am editing that part out but your feedback is welcomed and heard.

1 Like

FYI, there are at least three other Wishlist items that request the ability to save controller profiles locally, either specifically or as part of a larger save of user data:

As I wrote in this thread, the number of votes for these is far less than other Wishlist items:

“The #1 item on the Development Update Wishlist (Implement Weather & Terrain APIs) has 2652 votes, so 204 votes is ~ 8% of that number. Maybe that is the reason why the MS/AS team have not focused their attention on this issue?”

1 Like

Yes, and for year nothing has been done. The problem with the current system of Wishlist is popular items will always make it to the top, but things that are functionally a problem for some people do not get the attention, until it happens to you.
I’ve had the issue three times now over two years, and it’s not like the sim is crashing or closing down incorrectly, everything is working okay except it loses controller profiles. As I said, not a big issue unless it happens to you, hence low votes or years of waiting.

Hi Jane, No problem, understand. At least you’ve read the issue, as been trying to get it on as a question to dev updates for so long, maybe consider please.

Topic moved into an existing bug report. If you also experience this, please reply using the below template:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

i would really like to enjoy this game, but i can’t if there is a 50% chance at each lauch of the program that all my keybindings are reset to default (uncluding those of named custom presets).

i’m spending way too much time setting up my controller every day. that’s time of my life i am not getting back and i am not being paid for.

5 Likes

Yep having same problem

2 Likes

When you first create a new profile and setup your bindings, are these new profiles gone after a restart?

Yeah, although sometimes they do save but most the time they reset.

2 Likes

some times, the new profile is still there, with the name i gave it, and the bindings i gave it.

But sometimes the profile is also still there, also with the name i gave it, but all the bindings in the profile are set to their defaults.

i noticed however that another profile (which wasn’t active the last time i quit the game) retained the bindings i gave it correctly.

i will now try creating/overwriting a duplicate of my preferred profile every time i make a change.

i hope that this will allow me to recreate the preferred profile by duplicating the duplicate the next time this happens.

i will monitor the situation and report. in the meantime, it would be nice if i could select profiles from a list, instead of having to cycle through them.

2 Likes

I set up the controls using my xbox one elite controller and it works great for a day and then when I start up the next day, the controls are reset. The controller profile is selected but the controls are all default again. This is the 3rd time this happened and I usually delete games that do this. War Thunder did this for years and years and I finally said my goodbye to that game because it just kept resetting my controls over and over. I hope this can get fixed soon, I wont be able to stand putting in the controls over and over for much longer.

(UPDATE)

Restart the game back to desktop and your custom controls will come back. Just DONT look at the controls before hand. Just restart the game back to desktop as soon as you see that they are back to default and your custom controls will come back on the second try. I think it fails to download the configuration or something on initial boot up of the game.

3 Likes

Have you connected the controller via bluetooth?

1 Like

Are you guys using wireless controllers like the Xbox one controller?
I find that if I turn on controller before starting MSFS, the keybindings work and set to what I have it configured in custom profile.

If I forget to turn the controller on before launching MSFS, the keybindings reset to default when eventually turning on the controller. Even though I set it to the correct profile.

Lets all send it as a bug report to zendesk.

4 Likes

Connected via microsoft wireless adapter.

i am using in home streaming (like steam remote play, parsec/ or rainway) to stay sitting in front of my linux machine to stream from my windows machine.

the streaming client forwards the gamepad as a xinput compatible gamepad to the windows host.

the procedure and result is probably the same as using a wireless controller and turning it on late.

making sure that the controller is on and recognized before i launch msfs is a workaround i can probably work with.

as for sending multiple bug reports on the same topic, i don’t know if that is a good idea.
As a software developer myself, i have sometimes received multiple tickets on the same issue and all it does is make bugs more difficult to triage. But it may be different for microsoft/asobo

Yes the same for me. I reported to Zendesk, please do the same for visibility to the devs.

1 Like

Same for me, it’s really annoying

2 Likes