FlightSimulator.exe Application error crashes

Recently I having more frequent game crashes than before when i first installed MSFS with the error messages reading the same or slight variations of the same message.

“FlightSimulator.exe- Application Error
The instruction at 0xc00007FF6FA54BA52 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000. The memory could not be read.”

I ran a full check on all my hardware, and everything is working as it should. I’ve tried every trouble shooting fix i can find online and even tried the Fix option under Advanced Options in Apps & Features and still no luck. Is anybody else having this issue, any suggestions as to what is causing this all of a sudden? Any recommendations on how to fix?

PC Specs:
ASUS TUF Gaming X570 plus
AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
NVIDIA 2070 Super
32gb Ram
120gb SSD
2TB HDD

1 Like

There are quite a few threads on the forums where people are reporting crash to desktops and it seems there is no one single cause. Reports indicate that the ‘fix’ for one user doesn’t work for another user etc. Tracking down the cause is very time consuming. I suggest maybe using the forum search function to find other threads for this issue. If you wanted to be brave, even though it is time consuming, you could take the plunge and go ahead and reinstall windows. It might actually save you time in the long run. However, it doesn’t guarantee that it will solve your problem if the CTD is caused by hardware weaknesses (unlikely but possible) or driver issues.

To get you started, here are two links (Link1, Link2) to existing mega-threads about CTDs.

It would also be a good idea to check out the known issues post to see if you are affected by one of those.

For advanced troubleshooting, if none of the other fixes seem to work, then there may also be some useful information contained in this detailed thread: [FIXED] Random CTDs due to internet and hardware issues.

1 Like

I was getting these same application errors too but for me they started only after I changed my monitor to one of those 49" ultrawide beasts running at 5120x1440p and mostly everything on ultra. I tweaked down some of the key graphics settings like render scaling, object level of detail and terrain level of detail to no more than 100 and so far so good no application error crashes as yet…

From that information I’d bet on a GPU driver issue. Flight Sim seems very picky about drivers.

Thanks for the links , I’ll check it out.

I have already ruled out my GPU drivers, all my drivers have been uninstalled, reinstalled and updated to the latest, I even tried rolling them back. But thanks for the response.

Thanks for the response, I tested it on a small monitor to the one that I have and no change, plus i’ve been using the same 4k 55" monitor for ages now with no issues. For me the error messages only started after the recent software patch, before that the crash to desktop were few and far between. Now I it crashes at least 3-4 times a day with the error message. Most of my settings are on medium, synthetic textures on ultra, a couple on low(shadows and ambient occlusion), light shafts turned off, I left rendering scale, object level of detail and terrain level of detail at default levels of 100 and it runs pretty smooth at a steady 35-42fps sometimes dipping down to below 30fps in the large international hand crafted airports.

There’s an issue with the .EXE. If everyone would take the time to check their EVENT VIEWER they will notice, even if they can launch and play the game that there’s a big error in their log.

1 Like

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f467af2
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f467af2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000bbca82
Faulting process id: 0x22f0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d68642e58cb475
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.14.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.14.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: f8c8bf9c-8541-4dc7-90f9-a28808fb7f19
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.14.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Indeed. Even if the SIM works great it will generate a memory dump upon exit. Everyone should check their EVENT VIEWER. HD growing without adding anything ? …! Attaching the memory dump files for Zendesk is futile as they are big files. Almost 200 games on Steam and not once such an issue when quitting a game. You only kmow about this if your game crashes when playing. For me I was curious as to why my HD was growing in size.