FlightSimulator.exe crash to desktop error 0xc0000005

Sometimes Flightsimulator crashes to desktop with the error above.
It seems to happen randomly, sometimes in flight, sometimes when loadiing flight, sometimes when returning to menu after flight.
Fortunately not too often, but it is annoying…

I am playing the most recent version of the game (1.12.13.0) on fully updated hardware (Windows 10 20H2, latest drivers, latest BIOS, etc., Lenovo Legion 5 with RTX2060 GPU), so shouldn’t be that?

Any tips to resolve this issue?

I’ve searched the code you’ve mentioned and apparently it’s related to your computer not being able to correctly process the files and settings required to run a particular program. One of the solutions are running the Command Prompt as an Administrator and running the command

sfc /scannow

That checks your hard drive for corrupted file tables and/or files. Try running this command to see if this helps your problem any.

1 Like

This quite often a result of fragmented driver files.
Try this…

Try turning one CPU core off in flight sim for windows to use for everything else… worth a shot. Right click the Windows Start Icon, Right click Tsk Manager, then click the details tab, scroll down to Flightsimulator.exe, right click Set Affinity, uncheck CPU 0.

This made a night and day difference on my machine. I do it everytime I start the sim now. No more CTDs for me since.

3 Likes

Another possible remedy is to increase your virtual memory in Windows to 16GB or more, especially if you only have 16GB of RAM.

1 Like

Same here, just happened in the middle of a flight. This is the latest update which I downloaded yesterday. Very annoying, I which there was an autosave so you can restart after a crash. It takes a while after a CTD to calm down before you can start a new flight.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000004c20bc
Faulting process id: 0x2910
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6d9529c8919b3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 729481ed-0485-4c24-8b13-adc8c0c48cd6
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App
2 Likes

Can you give me a short explanation how to increase virtual memory in Windows?
I’m not very experienced in this, and as my laptop indeed has 16GB RAM I want to give this a try…

windows - settings - system - info - extended settings ( right side ) :
Extended Tab ( default ) - Performance - settings :
Extended Tabl - Virtual memory - Change :

choose C:
set minimum value : 4096
set maximum value : 20000

screenshot ( only in my language ) :

Hope it helps… if not , there is possible an issue like discussed in big CTD thread.

1 Like

@MichaMMA beat me to it, follow the steps in their post.

This trick fixed my CTD issues back in the alpha days and it did help a few people, but of course there could be other reasons for the CTD, but it’s worth trying.

OK, I’ll give this a try.
Thanks…
By the way: you refer to the “big CTDthread”; do you have a link which one you mean?

this one:

but as say’d… big/huge in meanwhile :slight_smile:

The 0x…5 can have many reasons. Often it comes because kind of overcloacking , usage of xmp profiles / etc. .
In some cases it was helpfull to check for latest drivers etc… , Also disable HAGS if enabled ( settings - … grafik settings - “hardware… GPU…” )

In some other case it helped to delete the cache (but more related to game-start-issues ), or disable the network-related settings ( eg. text2speach=windows offline )…or AI * settings, or Generic Models (both) to on…

2 Likes
  • have had the same problem.
  • MSFS uninstalled
  • Deleted the contents of the community folder
  • Reinstalled MSFS
  • Same problem.

-> My solution was as described elsewhere here in the forum, delete the nvidia drivers (with “ddu”) and install 457. 51.

Side note;
Dear MichaMMA,

please allow me a few personal words. I have hardly found a thread on the CTD topic in which you have not pointed out that the users themselves are to blame. However, if a certain number of users report problems after an update (in this case, funnily enough, the graphics card updates, not MSFS), then the reason will not be that many users have activated OC or are using xmp at the same time. You’re not helping anyone by shooting in the dark, especially if you don’t have the problem yourself. Never mind.

For the others: Of my colleagues with whom I am networked, 3 had the same problem and were able to solve it with the driver rollback. - So for a change, something constructive here.

Greetings

3 Likes

Hi, I have the same here, exception fault 0xc0000005
It is becoming a joke, every patch new different crashes.
Rgds, Marcelo

this is your understanding and you not aware of the whole context !

I think, without any kind of self-praise, I helped a lot in this forum… more as these kind of users which do nothing else as flame and whine and give no helpfull informations also if you ask them !

And yes… if you own a 30xx card, there seems issue with the nvidia drivers… mentioned in some threads.

1 Like

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000b1bbce
Faulting process id: 0x2c08
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6dca13f5f0a1d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: cf7a2679-a45f-4ee1-8cd8-242cc8862682
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

What a fantastic way to end a 3-hour long flight at 4AM in the night. Another CTD, the first after a couple of weeks for no apparent reason at all.

1 Like

I must take exception to this comment.
There are some VERY knowledgeable people on this forum that have put a tremendous amount of time into searching for and in many cases, solving a large number of problems users are facing.
The fact that you were able to solve your problem without the direct intervention from any of those people is most likely because of ideas that were brought forth as a result of their hard work.

There are plenty of users that have come to this forum seeking assistance. If not for the compassionate few that have given freely of their time many of those users would still be groping in the dark. It is BECAUSE we “don’t have the same problem” that we want to assist others to reach that goal as well. If we were to follow your advice and, “Never mind” are you going to step up and help?

As long as there are users out there that are prepared to give up their sim time to assist, those users struggling with errors that are NOT going to fixed with a MSFS update, errors that are purely system or driver related, will have a place to go to get answers. Without those users, this forum is simply a place to post about how terrible the sim is and how unconstructive its users are.

I am so glad that information that you learned from one of those unselfish users was able to get you and your colleagues flying again. Maybe a shot in the dark can save someone else their frustrations.
@MichaMMA may not always have the answer but we have all learned that to cut through to the solution it is important to consider that it MAY be your system, your configuration and yes, your fault sometimes. Not EVERYTHING is an MSFS bug as you learned from an NVidia incompatibility.

Next time, try just saying, “Thank you for trying to help.”

4 Likes

My compromise: thanks for wasting my time.

Anytime.
Merry Christmas

Hi everyone,

I had tried several ways to get around the problem, with no success:

• rollback in nvidia driver
  • remove nvidia experience
  • increase the memory
  • release core-0
  • and so on…

The crash to desktop error 0xc0000005 always appeared, but today that when turning on FSUIPC I got a new desktop error.

My FSUIPC was out of date, there was a FSUIPC release done in Dec 24th, after I removed the old version and installed the new one, I still didn’t get errors after 3 flights (the first half-hour, the second one hour and the third one 3 hours).

Apparently, the side effect I noticed was that the number of stutters increased a lot, but that could be another problem.

Regards,
Marcelo

see also the former mentioned thread:

First rule if you have an CTD:

• remove all mods
    We search only issues without any kind of installed mod…