Frequent updates to "DirectX Runtime" and "Visual C++" from the Microsoft Store

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been seeing a lot of updates to “DirectX Runtime” as well as “Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 UWP Desktop Runtime Package” (some other years for Visual C++ too).

I started taking pics of the screen when I noticed it. Here’s a list to show how frequent it’s been:

10/19
10/22
10/23
10/24
10/26
10/30
10/31
11/2
11/4
yesterday
today

I’ve not seen this in the past. Wondering if anyone else has seen this recently, or if anyone knows what’s up with the frequent updates.

Thanks in advance for any/all input.

3 Likes

You may have many different versions installed specially if you have older games, programs or apps installed or did have at one time. Easy way to check how many and what versions is to open your control panel and open install/remove programs.

Does seem odd though.

1 Like

I can confirm, I had the same update phenomenon in the background of the microsoft store, several consecutive days under windows 10 21h1

2 Likes

Discussed here in this thread too…

Do You have an impending upgrade to Win 11 waiting under Windows Update which says something like, ‘We are preparing Windows 11 for you and it will be made available to you when it’s ready’ ?

Charles.

I have the same Direct X Runtime update messages over the past one or two weeks now. It seems 2 or 3 parallel updates, for just a few seconds. And have a upgrade to Win 11 waiting.

2 Likes

Exactly the same here too. I have four altogether the last one was a very small Direct X Runtime update.
My graphics in MSFS looked much better after all of this however, I cannot attribute this improvement to the update in all certainty as I had installed a new display driver too.

My Realtek audio drivers are also being updated through the store as well.

I see you have a pending update to Win 11 too, I think this could be the key here.

Charles.

I believe MS are moving some updates for some products to the store. These used to be updated via windows updates optional components. I’m not sure what the drive is, but on the face of it, it looks like components that aren’t part of the core OS are being converted to UWP (Universal Windows Platform) packages, and these are how the windows store updates and installs programs / apps. Increasingly we will see all software delivered this way.

2 Likes

The direct X and Visual C++ update are now frequently being updated via the store. It’s usually very quick and happens before you notice.

I had some yesterday that went wrong so I got to see what was being updated.

3 Likes

Thank you to everyone who replied with observations and information. It’s clearly something that is expected, not something that was going sideways on my end.

Thanks again!

1 Like

This is the fifth update for me! :grinning:

Charles.

Hello,
I found the solution !
Alone, After a lot of research, I resolved the problem by uninstalling the application “Service de jeu” (XBox) in French so I supposed, “Game service” (XBox) in English. The problem come from here !

ive had this too. Im running win 11 and su7 preview. I must say Im getting awesome performance. had nvidia issues but they have disappeared . oddly something good is happening here . I uninstalled geforce experience but am on the latest drivers.

1 Like