High end but stutters? For 5080 + 9850x3d users what are your settings? (or close to my specs please help)

Hello, I recently got my first pc (3weeks ago)

and my specs are: 5080 zotac solid core oc,

9850x3d, 32gb of ddr5 ram, 2tb ssd and lastly a 200hz 1440p monitor.

i just transferred from a 3050ti laptop so i was on msfs 2020.

now on 2024, i dont know the correct setttings to use, besides “ultra” i have configured some settings but I still dont get the most power i feel like i should (fps wise)

i get some microstutters or even high vram usage when using aircraft like fslabs or pmdg, especially when changing views with chaseplane.

if I could get atleast good visuals without having to use the dynamic setting or having bad fps it would be helpful, lastly I use DLAA frame gen 2x and no vsync.

here’s the programs I use that run in the back

ground: :down_arrow:

gsx pro

ASFS

Rex atmos core

reshade

universal announcer

fslabs app or fenix app

ifly app

Thats about it for now,

please provide in game settings / nvidia control panel settings etc. It will be totally appreciated not by just me but others with the same specs :slight_smile:

ive seen some people with my specs say they run ultra preset settings with no stutters or issue, any advice is helpful :))

i will also insert my game settings below.

Hi, I can try to help based on my limited experience with my own PC (9800X3D / 5090) having done a lot of testing.

What is your:

  • Motheboard
  • Exact RAM
  • monitor resolution and connection (HDMI, DisplayPort)?
  • Windows > Display > Advanced > Refresh Rate?
  • … and does it indicate VRR supported or not?
  • NVIDIA App > Graphics > Global > all at default settings? Does it show GSync Compatible?

I strongly suggest a methodical approach:

Start by setting the Global Preset to “Medium” (or even Low) with no customizations, and turn Frame Gen off just to get a sense of how it performs with a specific scenario, and standard settings - then you have a baseline to compare to.

Pick an airport, parking spot, and aircraft for a repeatable test. I use the A330-200 at KJFK, with the “Few Clouds” preset and Traffic Off, because it’s a demanding location, and easy to repeat. I just load in, and change to external view, and take a screen shot with the FPS overlay showing.

If you don’t mind, post a screenshot of the FPS overlay.

In terms of basics, you should at least have the following enabled in BIOS - if you can post your exact motherboard, and exact RAM model, I can guide with more detail.

  • EXPO enabled (assuming your RAM supports EXPO…)
  • PBO enabled (set to “Advanced”)
  • Under PBO you should see Curve Optimizer. A good start is All Core, Negative Offset, by -10. This slightly undervolts the CPU, just enough to create thermal headroom for the AMD boost clock - which is what you paid for!

Simply ensuring those settings will improve MSFS performance by 10-15% over default settings - mostly because without EXPO, RAM runs at a lower speed, not the advertised speed.

If the Medium preset runs well, change to High, and test again. It’s a process, but so worth the effort to learn how the settings affect MSFS on your particular PC.

I settled on:

  • TAA
  • Max Frame Rate 30
  • VSync Half Monitor (target 60, monitor is 120 Hz)
  • Frame Gen x2
  • High Preset with increased TLOD
  • … but every PC is different and I’m running 3 screens.

I just finished testing MSFS 2024 SU6 across ALL settings and posted the results here… if you open the Full Results section, you can see how much RAM and VRAM DLAA uses at Ultra settings, which may be over budget for the 5080, depending on how you manage Max Frame Rate and Frame Gen.

If you put MSFS into developer mode and enable the fps counter it will show you where the bottleneck is.= as it isn’t just an fps display it shows the usage of your graphics card and processor cores.

You should easily get the sim to run on a 1440 monitor really smoothly with high FPS. I fly VR with two 2880x2880 screens on a 4090 and a 9800X3D and I can get a smooth 60 fps with some things on ultra, most on high or medium and a few on low.

as GimbalAxis suggested put everything on medium and TLOD 200, OLOD 100 and see if it runs smoothly. There are many things I have done to optimise my PC but here’s a link to help you. work through this.

All tipps in this thread are valid, and you can get a smooth sim by following them, just by chance. However, you are better off if you actually understand HOW smoothness is achieved.
You have to choose settings that distribute the load as evenly as possible within the render pipeline (Main Thread, Render Thread, GPU Queue…). Capping max fps is key.
Here’s a video that explains it very well imho. This guy runs premium hardware, but still reduces settings and caps fps to achieve smoothness. Every system calls for individual settings (I’m running capped 30fps on a 9950X3D), but if you understand these basics, you can better decide where to start.

My specs and MSFS2024 settings are below (not too different to yours). They give me a rock solid, butter smooth 33fps 99.9% of the time. The only time my frame rate dips below 33 is in a complex aircraft/complex airport scenario while making abrupt camera changes. Even when the fps fluctuates in these situations it does so in a largely stutter free way. I won’t try to claim that I never get ANY stutters but what very few I do get are so infrequent and mild that I can easily ignore them. Note that I do not use VR.

Steam, i9-13900K, GTX4080, 64G RAM, 4Tb NvME, 500/50Gb internet, Gigabyte M27Q3 Gaming Monitor(2k@100Hz), TAA, Max Frame Rate:off, V-Sync:On, V-Sync Interval: One third, Frame Gen:off, NVIDIA reflex: on, Dynamic Settings:off.Global Rendering: TLOD:400, OLOD:200, everything else on max except Trees:low, Texures:high, Glass cockpit refresh:low, Airports Services through Aircraft Traffic: all on medium, Road Traffic:low.

For my monitor it’s the lg g6 27g610a 1440p 200hz connected to my gpu

Ram Lexar Thor Z RGB DDR5 32GB 6000 MHz Intel XMP AMD EXPO

And I have expo on in the bios I have yet to check PBO or do the graphics settings test. Nor have I checked VRR (no idea on what that is)

I also notice I get lower frames on pmdg at times but I can run the inibuilds a350 at KJFK at around 60fps… same with the a380 but at KEWR

Sometimes I hit my refresh rate 200fps with only 2x fg but with pmdg or fslabs that’s the opposite…

I’m going to watch this now thank you :slight_smile:

I will definitely try this thanks seems very helpful

Currently cooking right now :blush: but once I’m done I will definitely try your tips

Do you know what make and model your motherboard is?

So for me (and quite a few people here) 60 FPS is the sweet spot, because visually it is fluid. Any extra processing power left over can then be spent on increasing the Graphics settings - mostly the TLOD and OLOD values, which determines the distance at which terrain and object details are visible.

So in a choice between 200 FPS and TLOD 150, and 60 FPS and TLOD 300, I choose 60 FPS and TLOD 300. That’s the basic idea. The way you do that is in MSFS turn on Max Frame Rate at 60 (with Frame Gen off), or 30 with Frame Gen x2.

For VRR, In Windows > Settings > Display > Advanced > you should see the monitor refresh rate, and a line that indicates Variable Refresh Rate supported or not. I think it probably is - this allows your monitor to draw frames when the GPU is ready, which is important when in a complex game where the FPS fluctuates.

Okay I will definitely update you I forgot to mention my motherboard is a MSI B850 gaming plus WiFi 7

OK, I have an MSI board and can guide on BIOS settings.

In the meantime, can you tell me a few things:

  • Windows > Settings > System > Display > Advanced Display
  • … on this page you can find 2 things:
  • … It will have a line that says “Variable Refresh Rate” and indicate if VRR is supported or not … which is it?
  • … (PS ignore “Dynamic Refresh” that’s different…)
  • … A section called Choose a Refresh Rate - what is it set at?

Also if you have the NVIDIA App installed, can you open it to Graphics > Global and tell me if it says “GSync Compatible” in the list of specs? And have you made any customizations here?

There are a lot of nit-picky details but it’s worth it for tuning for MSFS. I may have to sign off until tomorrow…

…

Your Ram is on the motherboard QVL list, so that means you can enable something called High Efficiency Mode in BIOS, which improves RAM timings with 1 click. Don’t do this yet, let’s get the basic info first…

There are quite a few little things to work through which I’ll list here, but I can help with each step if you like.

  1. Make sure you have the latest AMD Chipset driver for B850 installed, you can download it from AMD here. Note, you should disconnect from the internet after downloading and before you run it, so that Windows Update doesn’t automatically try to fill in a driver while installing.

  2. Once rebooted, boot in to BIOS by tapping the Delete key when rebooting

  3. Once in BIOS, please note the BIOS version. Ideally you should be on the latest stable version (MSI stable versions end in zero), The most current for your B850 board would be 7E56v1AA0 (2026-06-01). https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B850-GAMING-PLUS-WIFI/support#bios

  4. If you decide to update BIOS … if you use Windows Hello PIN to log in to your PC, be sure you know your password, as updating BIOS sometimes deletes the key stored in BIOS and requires you to sign in to Windows with your password to recreate the PIN.

I will post simple instructions on 2 BIOS settings - very common and virtually all of us here using MSFS set these. I’ll wait until you fill in the details above.

Sorry for late response VRR not supported and GSYNC is in Nividia control panel and nvidia app.

Not sure if this is correct or latest but here’s my bios below

Pretty sure it’s the newest one

You’re running the latest BIOS version, but it’s a BETA BIOS. Beta BIOS versions are mainly intended for testing and are generally more suitable for advanced users who know what to do if the motherboard fails to boot, even after a CMOS reset.

That said, if you already have this BIOS installed and everything is working fine, I’d just leave it as it is.

On MSI motherboards, BETA BIOS versions have a number greater than zero at the end, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc., while stable BIOS versions have a zero (0) at the end. See the example below.

BETA BIOS
7E56v1AA2
7E56v1AA1
7E56v1A91
7E56v1A88

Stable BIOS
7E56v1AA0
7E56v1A90
7E56v1A80



As for the MSFS settings, I would change DLAA to DLSS Quality. For testing purposes, try playing without Frame Generation - turn it off. In the MSFS settings, set the FPS limit to 70 or 60 and enable Vsync.
Set the Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate to Medium and turn off traffic and road traffic.
Traffic can have an impact on stuttering, so until you find the cause, I recommend turning it off.
Apply and save > Quit to desktop.



You have the same CPU as I do and an MSI motherboard - a different model, but the BIOS settings shouldn’t differ that much. So I have a few suggestions for you.
Start with the BIOS settings and fan curves. This CPU runs hotter than the 9800X3D, so keep that in mind when setting up your cooling.



A while ago, I created a thread about BIOS settings. These are what I consider the “must-have” settings, so I’ll paste them here. Set them as I describe, along with what you’ve already configured yourself.

Optimizing BIOS for MSFS (click to expand)

After installing the BIOS, we set the curves for CPU cooling and other fans. Another important setting is the Fan Fail Warning. On MSI motherboards, you can find it in the Hardware Monitor - the same place where you set the fan curves.

We should enable the Fan Fail Warning for all fan channels, including CPU, CPU Pump and SYS fans, or any other connected fans.
Save the changes, and restart PC. Next, we activate the CPU Over Temperature Alert - on MSI motherboards it has this name, on other brands it might be called differently.

We also enable System Power Fault Protection

After the restart, we can disable the iGPU if it’s not needed

On the screenshot below, I disabled WiFi and Bluetooth - you can enable them if you use them. I also disabled the HD Audio Controller - you can set it to Enabled if you don’t have a dedicated sound card and need onboard audio.

Save the changes and restart.

At this point, we have our baseline settings - our default configuration. It’s a good idea to save a profile of these settings, so if we ever need to reset the BIOS, we can quickly restore them.

On the screenshots below, SVM and IOMMU (virtualization) are disabled. You can enable them if you use virtual machines or if you prefer system security over performance, because disabling virtualization also disables Core Isolation / Memory Integrity in Windows settings, making it unavailable there. That said, the PC won’t break or “explode” if you disable virtualization - it will generally run better - with less stuttering or even no stuttering in games.



Disabling SVM and IOMMU can improve overall PC performance.

Next, we should enable RAM EXPO profile (for AMD) or XMP (for Intel) for our RAM.

Save and restart.

After the restart, it is recommended to check whether the system and MSFS are running stably with EXPO/XMP enabled. If everything is stable, you can proceed with further BIOS changes, such as adjusting PBO settings.

At this point, you can save these settings as a second BIOS profile - essentially your baseline configuration before overclocking or undervolting.


  • CPU Loadline Calibration Control
    This is an important setting, usually used with overclocking to prevent VCore from dropping too much to stabilize the CPU.
    On the screenshot below, I selected Mode 3 (flat line). It’s important that the line stays flat, not higher or lower. A flat line helps stabilize the CPU a bit by preventing voltage drops under load.
    This setting helps avoid CPU voltage drops under load, which is important in games like MSFS and other demanding titles. So again - choose the flat line setting.
    In the future, if you want to overclock the CPU, you can switch to Mode 2 for example.

img


  • PBO

For PBO, the typical sweet spot for Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 9800X3D, 9850X3D CPUs is a negative offset of 15 on all cores.
For Ryzen 7 9850X3D i recommend starting with a value of 10 rather than 15.

  • Auto: Same as option [Motherboard].

  • Disabled: Loads AMD default socket power (PPT), electrically-limited VRM current (EDC), and thermally-limited VRM current (TDC) limits.

  • Motherboard: Allows the processor to run according to increased PPT, EDC, and TDC limits defined by your motherboard.

  • Manual: Allows the processor to ignore AMD default limits for PPT, EDC, and TDC and instead use manual values (up to the maximum capabilities of the of the motherboard).

If you chose All Core Curve Optimizer and applied negative offsets

All Core Curve Optimizer Magnitude also lower the CPU VCore - the higher the number, the lower the VCore. Too low a VCore can make the CPU and system unstable, so keep this in mind when adjusting.

The above settings are shown here as an example on the MSI X870E Carbon WIFI motherboard.

Save the changes and test PC as well as MSFS with these settings.


There are, of course, many other BIOS settings. I haven’t described all of them - I’ve listed what I consider the most important ones, but some may have been missed. These settings are given as an example for the MSI motherboard and for AMD platforms, so ASRock, ASUS, or Gigabyte boards, as well as Intel platforms, may have different options.

Any additional important settings are welcome to be shared.

EDIT

If someone is using air cooling instead of an AIO, it actually makes sense to set a CPU temperature limit in that case.

Let’s say you cap it so that in games it doesn’t go over ~85C. On motherboards for AMD processors, this is handled by the “Platform Thermal Throttle Limit”.

MSI BIOS > Overclocking > Advanced CPU Configuration > AMD Overclocking > Precission Boost Overdrive (PBO)

Gigabyte BIOS

After making the BIOS settings, follow the instructions below in exactly the same order as they are listed.

1 Disable fast startup

2 Disable Hibernation.

Restart PC

1 Enable the ultimate performance powerplan.

2 Select ultimate performace powerplan and click change plan settings > change advanced power settings
3 Expand USB settings > USB selective suspend settings > disabled > apply > ok

Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power for USB
4 Right-click “start” > device manager
5 Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
6 Right-click generic usb hub > properties > power management tab
7 Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power > ok

Repeat if there are multiple USB Hub.

8 Expand PCI Express > Link state Power Management
Setting - OFF

Apply > OK

Restart PC.



Partial Windows Settings

  • Go to Windows Settings > System > Display > Advanced display.
    Next to “Choose a refresh rate” set it to the highest Hz your monitor supports amd turn off Dynamic refresh rate.

  • Go to Windows Settings > System > Display > Graphics
    Expand Advanced graphics settings
    Turn on - Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling
    Turn off - Variable refresh rate

  • Go to Windows Settings > System > Display > Graphics. Click “Add Microsoft Store app” then select Microsoft Flight Simulator from the list. Click on Microsoft Flight Simulator to open it and expand the options, then set GPU preference to High performance (NVIDIA RTX 5080).

In my opinion, and I’m not the only one who thinks so, one of the more stable drivers for NVIDIA 50XX series GPUs is the older 577.00 version. I recommend installing it while testing MSFS.

Below, I’ve explained how to perform a clean installation of this driver.

How to perform a clean installation of NVIDIA drivers

How to perform a clean installation of NVIDIA drivers.

First things first: a proper clean installation of a GPU driver does not delete your games, apps, or wipe your C drive. It simply removes old driver files, registry leftovers and related components so the new driver installs on a clean base.

First, download NVIDIA driver and the DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller software.

NVIDIA driver 577.00
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/details/250995/

DDU
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.1.5.7 Released. - Wagnardsoft Forum

NVIDIA driver removal is best done in Windows Safe Mode - I’ve been saying this for a long time and I’m not changing that opinion. The only exception is when Safe Mode doesn’t work properly on someone’s system.
So before proceeding with any further steps, make sure that Windows Safe Mode is working correctly.

Also, there’s no real need to disconnect from the internet or disable your internet connection during driver uninstall or installation. What actually matters is Windows behavior - just set it so it doesn’t automatically install devices or pull drivers on its own. That alone is enough to prevent conflicts during the process, without having to unplug anything or go offline.

If you’re not an advanced user, don’t feel confident digging deep into Windows settings or simply don’t want to bother, there are easier alternatives.

You can just unplug the Ethernet cable, turn off WIFI or disable your network adapter directly in Device Manager.
In that case, if your PC case is pushed against the wall or placed under a desk, disabling the network adapter is usually the quickest option. Just right-click the network card in Device Manager and disable it.

Right-click “Start” icon and select Device Manager.
Expand Network adapters
Then right-click your network adapter and select Disable device.

Disabling the network adapter in Device Manager is the most convenient and fastest method.

You can also, after launching DDU in normal Windows mode, go into the DDU settings and enable “Prevent downloads of drivers from Windows Update when Windows searches for a driver for a device”
While still in the settings, also enable “Enable Safe Mode dialog”
// Also, as I mentioned above, make sure to check that Safe Mode is actually working on your system before proceeding.

image

Under General Options and Specific Options, you can select the same settings that I have enabled here

Be careful with “Remove present and non-present monitors” - this setting removes monitors and their drivers. After a restart, they will still work, but Windows will not have proper drivers installed for them, so you may need to reinstall the monitor drivers.

Also note that after removing monitors and restarting the PC, Windows may change the refresh rate settings. Go to Windows Settings > System > Display > Advanced display. Check if “Choose a refresh rate” is set to the maximum Hz of your monitor - if not, change it to the max or set it to your preferred value (for example 120Hz instead of 240Hz).
I once forgot about this and Windows set my monitor to 60Hz instead of 165Hz. As a result, I had stuttering in MSFS 2020/2024 and couldn’t figure out why. It turned out the cause was exactly the refresh rate.

So now you already have DDU configured and know a bit more - it’s time to prepare for reinstalling the driver. Before switching to Safe Mode, download the NVIDIA driver you want to install. After downloading it, you can launch DDU and under “Launch option” click Normal and select "Safe mode (recommended).

After the system switches to Safe Mode and DDU is launched, select the GPU you want to uninstall, in this case NVIDIA.
Then click “Clean and restart”.

After the restart, you can install NVIDIA driver. I recommend installing the minimal version, meaning only the driver and PhysX - this way you can make sure everything works properly without NVIDIA app.

So run the previously downloaded installer, select “NVIDIA Graphics Driver”, then click “Agree and Continue”.

On the next screen of the installer, select “Custom (Advanced)” and click “Next”.

On the next screen of the installer, uncheck “HD Audio Driver” and make sure “PhysX” and “Perform a clean installation” are selected, then click “Next”.

After NVIDIA driver installation, restart PC. After reboot, I remind you to install the monitor drivers if needed and check the monitor refresh rate (Hz) in Windows settings, as mentioned above.

If you have checked in DDU
image
and want Windows to install other drivers again, launch DDU in normal mode and under “select device type” click
image

Now you can enable your network adapter in Device Manager. Open Device Manager, right-click the network adapter you disabled, and select “Enable device”.

Restart PC.

Now you can download and install NVIDIA app.

NVIDIA Control Panel Settings

Select the preferred resolution and refresh rate and set both to the highest available value and clik Apply

Turn off G-Sync


Manage 3D settings


Globa settings - DEFAULT

MSFS 2024 profile



My sources are the thousands of tips and troubleshooting posts I’ve shared over time, which you can find on the forum - for example, in the threads linked below.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/optimizing-bios-for-msfs-2020-2024-tips-advice-and-discussion/756831

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-high-end-computer-awful-stuttering-at-certain-airports-help-advice-wanted-msfs2020/768788

Thank you so much for the clarification, as for the in game settings like traffic I have that off besides the road traffic, which has had no effect on my performance or even the glass refresh rate (some how…)

And should I use in game vsync or nvidia? I will follow the steps you provided below :slight_smile:

In game vsync and in game FPS cap.

Okay, just make sure you don’t miss anything - including the MSFS settings I recommended changing, the Windows/system settings, the BIOS settings, as well as the NVIDIA Control Panel settings and the MSFS 2024 profile.

EDIT

Also, turn off sea traffic.

I have seen this help at least 3 customers.

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/cockpit-builders/404532-microstutters-possible-fix

Yeah ofc if you check the photos on top of this post you can see my settings and get an idea of what I’m working with till further notice

Let me know if the changes I recommended made any difference.

PS. I forgot to mention something about BIOS versions. For example, on my motherboard, the latest BETA BIOS is 7E49v1AA6, dated 2026-06-26, while the latest stable version is 7E49v1AA0, dated 2026-06-12.

I’m still using 7E49v1A8 from January 2026 because I noticed that the newer stable version had a negative impact on performance in my case. So it’s worth keeping in mind when updating BIOS that newer doesn’t always mean better.