How to press a knob using VR controller?

I want to synchronize heading bug to current heading, using my VR controller. HDG is a pressable rotary knob in G1000. Using VR controller, I know how to rotate it, but not how to press it. VR controller’s trigger acts like left mouse button, then what next? I cannot find what acts like right mouse button. Can anyone please help? I have HP Reverb G2.

I’ve found that when you grab one of those with the trigger, you can twist it to change it but it isn’t very accurate (although better than it was). So I’ve kept the Y (up/down) axis on the thumbsticks set to Cockpit interaction - increase (Y) and Cockpit interaction - decrease (Y / click reverse). That allows very fine tuning for all rotary type interactions.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! You gave me a way around the problem. But also I’d like to know the straight solution to the problem. HDG is not only a rotary knob, but also a button. The problem is, I don’t know how to press it with VR controller. When it comes to mouse, the solution is two step: “press and hold left mouse button” followed by “click right mouse button”. The first part can be done with VR controller’s trigger, but I cannot figure out how to do the second.

Funny, I just had to figure this out. You have to bind something to “cockpit interaction - secondary action”. I use my “squeeze” control. Someone else recommended leaving this unbound so it doesn’t trigger while in your lap, but without it, you can’t push knobs.

1 Like

I think MSFS has a bug with HP Reverb G2 controller.
I tried various settings and finally found this works:

1. By default, right hand trigger is bound to “select”, “grab map”, and “VR - cockpit interaction - right”. Remove all of them.
  2. Bind squeeze to “cockpit interaction - secondary action”.
  3. Now I can push HDG with squeeze. The primary action is skipped.

With this setting, I cannot do anything else than pushing it. lol
Thank you all for the replies.

2 Likes

Pretty sure you’ll still want select and grab map

In some planes (i.e.: pa28) I’m able to push the Com/Nav radio knob with these 2 moves:

• trigger to select the knob (keep pressed)
  • move your arm towards the knob (like you would do in real life with a finger)

but that doesn’t work for other knobs (for example: the Baro knob in the TBM930)
Hope it helps!

p.s.: i wonder why there’s no official guide about how to use controllers for these specific use-cases

p.s. 2: I lost the default g2 right controller setting…would you be so kind to paste here the default?

2 Likes

Great! thanks a lot! I hope my configuration helped you with the pushing knob issue :slight_smile:

Has anyone got this to work with the FBW A320? I tried binding secondary and tertiary action, but can’t seem to get the autopilot knobs to push/pull …

I have the same issue and couldn’t find any solution yet.

It does work on the Asobo A320 so I filed it as an issue on the fbw GitHub, hopefully it gets picked up.

1 Like

Seems, that they are looking for devs that are able fix VR related issues.

Here’s the issue for reference:
https://github.com/flybywiresim/a32nx/issues/6607

could anyone solve the mystery why the controllers are unable to press the FMS knob or press Heading knob in VR ? not mouse, controllers.
tried yesterday but not possible. in pancake mode you press the mouse wheel or left /right mouse button in the CJ4 to have the select knob for example on the display configurations.

primary / secondary cockpit action, third action, bound these controller actions to another key. nothing works. thought they improved VR interaction with SU8. what did they do !

why does nobody in Asobo detects this is beyond me. the FMS knob presing in the G1000 is essential function. did they never put a flightplan in manually !
ciao Franz

I noticed that setting the ‘Thumbstick click’ (quest2) to ‘cockpit interaction - secondary action’ only works if you have the mouse active on the screen. As soon as the mouse disappears the thumbstick click with this secondary function stops working.
I already tried to put systems like “MouseJiggler” (Mouse Jiggler for Windows - Download it from Uptodown for free) to keep the mouse always active, but no way.

Has anyone here officially flagged this as a bug? Link so we can vote on it? We are THIS close to able to fly fully in VR!

I just tried that in the Caravan, and it did not work. Is it only in certain planes?

To summarize, there are knobs that are pushable as well as rotatable. We cannot push it with a VR controller. In my case, the problem is with G1000 and HP Reverb G2, but other aircrafts and/or VR headsets also have the same problem. People have found a few ways to work around it, but none is satisfactory. Let’s ask for their action to fix it. How do I file a bug? Do I need to open a new thread? I am not very familiar with this forum system.

1 Like

You can report it here. Give us the link and we will then go vote. Thanks!

Issue is also, the default mouse in VR will not do the click neither ! The right mouse click is occupied by something else in VR.
To make it work u need to change the function of the right mouse button.