I deleted MSFS2020 from my computer. I’m done

they just say that cuz they don’t want people to have high expectations.
It will 100% bring improvements in performance, all games and simulator to this date did with DX11 → 12 API upgrade

I agree with everything you say. I am tired of all the people on here showing of their specs and messing about with things on their computers. My own machine is so old I can’t even remember how old it is. Since I got it I bought a 32 inch 1440p monitor a few years ago and had to change the graphics card to a Gtx970. I also later put in a ssd. I remember having to do a bit of tweaking to run FSX. The computer is used mainly to process photographs though. I saw that Msfs was due to come out in August and took out an X box for a month subscription to try it. I have purchased it since but I can say that I have been very happy with it. It is the first sim that I’ve not had to tweak anything. The two or three minute wait to load is the only annoyance but I now do something else on the same computer while it is loading. I use it in full screen windowed mode so I can switch to something else when the aircraft is in the air. Please don’t anyone ask my Fps or temperature etc because I never look at them, I learnt never to fiddle about with settings years ago.
Off topic I know. I wonder if anyone else here has run computers since they first used transistors instead of valves in the early 1960s. My first experience with a sim was a moon lander just after the first landing. I didn’t even have a monitor just a device in my office called a termiprinter to input and receive data over a phone line.

uhm, no. we’re talking merely about, well, maybe 10%-20% at most, e.g.:

Read it

Or this

there are many more benchmarks for you to google out there to prove it for yourself.

i meant 100% as in 100% sure not actual 100% improvement lol XD

and still… a sim that runs at 40fps will do maybe 48fps with dx12 - at 25fps it will do maybe 30fps. dx12 is not that important in reagrds to performance. that’s what I was talking about.

dx12 is no magical fps booster.

I have been waiting all of my adult life for it to dawn on corporate America that false advertising always comes back to bite you in the rear. I guess they just cant help themselves.

2 Likes

it’s not about FPS, it’s about smoothness.
The sim is currently offloading everything to a single CPU core which causes these massive spikes in frame graphs.

That’s why 30fps doesn’t feel like 30fps cuz it’s missing frames in between.
The CPU can’t keep up with all the data it has to process with just one logical core.
GPU’s might be but even those will stream data more freely through the graphical pipeline of the dx12 API.

I want my frame graph to be stable like : -------------------------
Not like : - _ — _ – _ - _ - ------ -__- --_- – - - __ - - -

1 Like

Except it doesn’t. Take a look in Task Manager yourself, and see. It is true that a thread running on a single core, as I understand it, synchronises all the other threads, but to state that everything runs on a single core is simply wrong. Prove your assertion by adjusting your core affinity so that the sim runs on a single core of your choosing, the come back here with your findings. If you are right, you will see no difference, yes?

1 Like

na, he’s even halfways right… dx12 can offload the workload to multiple cpu cores whereas dx11 uses only one. however, this game is a sim and it’s using the cpu heavily anyway. hence, i still don’t expect dx12 becoming a game changer in regards to fps - especially not for this game.

1 Like

I’m just wondering if MSFS has been secretly reinstalled already by OP.

1 Like

It might look like that but it isn’t true, DX11 is simply not capable of using modern CPU’s properly.
With a hack job you can get at a maximum 8 logical cores working, but it has massive drawbacks.
The DX11 API is simply legacy tech at this point not made for games and simulators of this scale.

2 Likes

I don’t understand half these posts. I have a 9900K, 2080 Ti and a Reverb G2 and I have a fantastic experience in VR and desktop is almost max settings. Performance is butter smooth. I don’t fly airliners - is that the problem? I feel the more poeple spend on there GPU the higher the expectation goes up…

So the OP is going back to X-Plane. So here’s the thing - has the OP put her settings down to medium / low because X-Plane polygon rendering capability is inferior to MSFS so if you are struggling you just need to scale down appropriately and my bet would be it would still look better than X-Plane.

2 Likes

That’s true but I still feel if people can’t get reasonable / ok performance right now with decent hardware then they need to reset there expectation to how the sim looks not how far right they can move a slider…

Part of the problem also could be the RTX 3000 series itself which people have already spent a ton of money on, is under utilsed, overpriced and underperforming in MSFS.

At least we have the 465.89 Nvidia drivers which are the best yet for RTX 3000 series owners in MSFS - remember to set HAGS mode on although I can’t be sure what effect that has on other games.

1 Like

4K Ultra on a 3070

1 Like

Have you tried?

PSA: NVidia has found the root cause of stuttering and VR performance in their drivers! - #167 by CptLucky8

LOD problems - Trees & Water - #976 by CptLucky8

TL;DR: nothing runs on 1 core only, the sim requires at least 3, which I suspect being 1 for the simulation, 1 for DX11, 1 for offloading work tasks. Any additional core is helping from time to time offloading assets management (loading files from disk etc…). It appears therefore the simulation is effectively running on a single core anyhow (mostly), the rest is peripheral.

1 Like

It’s not your hardware, it’s the sim. The performance tanked after the UK update. Not just framerates were affected but also fluidity. I have had the same experience you describe on 2 different PCs, a new 3070 build with a Ryzen 5600x and an older i5 with 1660ti.

Both ran smooth in VR before the UK update, right down to 18fps in VR was smooth and stutter free prior to that update.

It looks to me as though they are doing some major rebuilding of the sim and pushing it out with both the world updates and sim updates. They wouldn’t suddenly be asking for beta testers if the upcoming world update was just about locations and scenery.

While you’re here…
Is there any way I can force the Oculus process to a different core from the MSFS mainthread?

When I pause the sim mid flight the Oculus tracking and ASW suddenly has room to breathe, unpause and it’s as if MSFS is choking the Oculus processes to death.

Edit - or can I force the MS store version of the sim to use the steam compositor?

I’m not sure about Oculus. I’ve tried with SteamVR (this was the driver for my research with the cores - see links above) but this didn’t help in any way, but I might have not spent enough time trying either.

1 Like

DirectX11 was designed from the ground up to support multithreading.

Most people seems to fly GA in the middle of nowhere, and they’re happy with 20-30fps. Not much to render there, obviously it’s smooth. I also get butter smooth 60fps in those kind of areas. But add a 3d party tube liner above Atlanta, London, L.A. or whatever and they’ll say it stutters a bit, but they’re fine with it, it’s a smooth slideshow.
There seems to be a problem with the rtx30 series, but since these cards are so hard to find and since prices have become so prohibitive, obviously rtx30 owners are a “very small minority” as some wise dude said here. The fun part is there’s always some smart guy saying, “hey, my gtx970 is buttery smooth so it must be your internet connection or ram that is faulty, check this, check that”.

2 Likes