Im done with this sim on XBOX

Read the last section of this quote.

1 Like

When I read such a topic I’m always reminded of this great and clairvoyant comment of the one and only @Crunchmeister71

1 Like

@hethrmasn

Is that word actually in the dictionary??,I will now look just in case😷

1 Like

It was a bad joke, sorry. I agree with your statement :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I have a mid spec PC and a Series X. The Xbox in spite of its own performance issues, runs circles around my PC. It is a technological marvel for its price.

But since I have a PC, I do tend to log more hours on it. The selection of better add ons, and hardware compatibility keeps me coming back. Even if it is slower.

That said, from my perspective, it does seem a little silly to me when people complain about XBOX performance as if it is broken. Naw, it just needs better optimization to bring smooth play. I assure you, the sim runs well enough to log hundreds of hours on MUCH slower machines.

4 Likes

At least for me personally the success of SU10 is very important. Is WASM addressed and we can finally get the PMDG (and other) aircraft? Will the stability improve? Will mods become available? We’ve seen Navigraph is possible on the HJet, will it be scalable?

I haven’t had a PC in 20 years so the idea of spending $700 for an xbox and a yoke with the promise of a full sim was too good to pass up. I want and really hope that it is truly fulfilled, and I guess we’ll know when SU10 comes. I can’t see myself buying a PC just for MSFS, but if SU10 flops or the stability is poor who knows? There is also another sim version coming out that I know previous versions worked great on my current machines. Either way to be into flight simulation these days we have choices and compromises to make, it could be worse.

4 Likes

I hate to say it, but a flight simulator just isn’t suited to a console in my humble opinion. It’s like trying to squeeze an elephant into a matchbox. I’d get yourself a pc and enjoy flight simming the way it was mean to be :smiley:

1 Like

Why not? The Xbox Series X|S has performance comparable to a current mid-range gaming PC, and with hardware vendors like Thrustmaster, Turtle Beach, and Honeycomb supporting the Xbox with their latest flight sim products, console players now have access to great peripherals too.

12 Likes

New here - I don’t think I can post a new topic yet so if you can please help me w/ my question :

I am on Xbox and would love to know how to get the Southwest Airlines Livery. I purchased from the Marketplace the U.S. Livery pack which had Delta, United, American, Alaska and a bunch of others, but how do I get the Southwest Airlines livery?

Thank you - hope I did not break any rules by posting this.

1 Like

[quote=“SArcher8818, post:114, topic:526472”]
I haven’t had a PC in 20 years so the idea of spending $700 for an Xbox and a yoke with the promise of a full sim was too good to pass up. I can’t see myself buying a PC just for MSFS[/quote]

Sadly I bought a $1580.00 gaming PC (Lenovo T5 i7) only to have nothing but problems with MSFS for PC. I then financed an Xbox X through Best Buy RBC bank for two years and the Xbox is better, (no graphics settings to mess with like the PC version.) but it has its issues like the other guys here are having. I needed a new PC (my old one was 12 years old) so that purchase was warranted going forward. But the best part of the Xbox (for me) is, I’m using just a 20th Anniversary Edition game controller only for MSFS. I just love that controller, the way it feels in your hands and its so comfortable to hold, and I have no issues flying with it. In fact it teaches you to be more precise in your control movements especially when it comes to landing, makes you carefully plan your approaches. I have no issues with that. Sure I went and bought all the thrustmaster peripherals up to a head set for ATC but surprisingly I didn’t like any of it. I found them to be a complete PITA, so I don’t use them, their in the closet stored away. Gonna sell it all actually. I can’t believe I fell prey to that marketing scheme. Wasted $$ sigh I realized after (spending $$) I’m just a GA casual touring flyer and I abhor long distance flights. But having fun doing it and the eye candy is hard to ignore compared to other SIMs.

I am a proud advocate of this game on Xbox. I’ve enviously watched flight sim videos on YouTube going way back to the FSX days, when I was just a kid, knowing full well I’d never be able to afford a PC to run it, or the peripherals to really have fun with it.

Then the trailer comes out, showing it’s coming to Xbox. Kinda always been a casual console gamer, nothing hardcore, pick up and play most of the flagship games, never really finish them. Life’s too busy. But I can play Microsoft Flight Simulator on Xbox?

Somehow weasel my way into a Series X by following one of those Twitter accounts, back when it was super hard to get one. Got a Gamepass account, waited an hour for it to download and couldn’t believe I was about to take flight in a Cessna with my Xbox controller. It was seriously so exciting to me. Banged out a couple discovery flights. Game looked so good.

Got more into it, like I figured I would, picked up Thrustmaster’s T.Flight kit with the HOTAS stick and the rudders. Instantly hooked. Kept refreshing Google search results pages for news on Turtle Beach’s VelocityOne release. Ordered one while I was on my honeymoon when it finally dropped.

Geeked out to programming that thing, learned cold and dark startup procedures, downloaded my favorite airport’s RNAV and ILS charts, started really doing things the right way. Goal being ultimate realism, as much as possible, every flight.

Fast forward to now, got all the Honeycomb stuff on preorder now that it’s finally available. Actually had a Honeycomb Bravo just sitting on my shelf for almost a year now, anticipating their upcoming Xbox support. I have a powered USB hub feeding into my Xbox where I run a fully mapped out keyboard, mouse, T.Flight rudders, TB Velocity One, Axair MIAP for autopilot and comms, and Xbox controller for drone cam.

I play it like a PC. My Xbox is basically my flight sim rig. Yeah, there’s no VATSIM, and Navigraph integration is limited to the HJET, I get all that. But my cost of entry, peripherals aside, was 500 bucks for the console and a Gamepass subscription.

I’m seeing more and more pledged Xbox support, both with add-ons as well as peripherals, and I get so happy when I see Pilot0083 on Youtube being an Xbox advocate, or reading an interview with Jorg stating that Xbox support is only going to be expanded with WASM support and beyond.

I can’t wait for PMDG’s 737. I hope some day there’ll be a Fenix Airbus A320 clone for Xbox.

I restart my Xbox every time I play and plug in each peripheral one by one to avoid screwing things up. I enjoy stutter-free gameplay from takeoff to landing in almost every weather condition, at almost every airport, regardless of almost any length of flight. I don’t have the fastest internet, either; 600m Charter Spectrum, and my Xbox is on wifi, not even hard-wired.

I have a dozen or so payware aircraft, a dozen or so payware liveries and airports. I read about the issues everyone else seems to be having and I do really feel bad, because my only experience has been crispy, stunning 4k graphics and excellent performance, no matter what I throw at the sim.

PC gatekeepers don’t really make me sad or upset me, I totally get it - the fear of a product being cheapened to expand to a wider market. I would argue that MS/Asobo could not be handling this any more elegantly if they tried. It’s a franchise with a lot of history and a lot of dignity and they’ve brought it to so many people, like me, with the intent to bring joy, and learning, and experiences.

I can’t believe what they’ve been able to achieve with machine learning, and with the muscle of the Azure stack. The whole thing just feels like an absolute marvel to me, and whether I’m fiddling with my settings, my controller mappings, my nav charts for my next flight, or ACTUALLY taking off and landing an aircraft, I’m the happiest guy in the world that I can finally do this when I never thought I could.

Just my two cents!

14 Likes

And I thought I had over bought on peripherals. Sarcasm aside of course, nothing intended. I can’t see me going back to all those flight controls. I find its just too much. I’ll admit it online here but I’m a simpleton through and through. I don’t like complication and I’m also a minimalist, less is more. That’s what I like about MSFS especially on Xbox and you can fly using any controller you want and it caters to the masses like you and myself. Grab your favorite controller etc., and fly. It fits everybody’s preference and budget (flight control wise). Lets not forget totally transportable if your on vacation or at the cottage or staying in a hotel on a trip. Gotta love it. Yes, I’m a convert and lover of the Xbox because I wasn’t in the beginning and, well, now I’ve contradicted myself and my other comments online about it. Oh well moving forward…life goes on…I live to fly another day. Did I say I wanted to be a real pilot…? I did, this is the next best thing :+1:

1 Like

Yeah simming on a console is OK but it’s not the full experience sorry.

You should be sorry for trolling Xbox users like you just did. (Where is our friend calling out the “PC master race” when we need him.)

Semi agree, but what if you don’t want a full experience…? Nothing wrong with flying the way you want regardless of how you do it right…? Remember to each his own. Everybody has a right to do it their own way. As long as your enjoying it who cares how you do it. :wink:

5 Likes

There are advantages to simming on console that folks in the flight sim community just don’t see because until MSFS, consoles only had racing sims.

Remember, the, “Full experience” is spending thousands extra on hardware and add ons.

The average simmer is a LOT more casual than this forum would make it seem.

You get a sense of that when you look at the best selling planes on the MSFS Marketplace compared to the top polling planes on this forum.

We in here are often the type to put hundreds or thousands of hours into the sim and hundreds or thousands of dollars into making the sim experience the best we can possibly make it.

But many on console are thrilled to have it on their big screen in 4K for $500 and a Game Pass subscription.

Sims are quite an expensive hobby. We all know this.

Consoles really keep that price down.

I try to keep all my race sims on console just so I am not constantly dropping thousands on my PC to keep hitting the 60 FPS mark! It really takes the edge off a costly hobby, and still I have spent thousands on console racing alone! I’d have spent so much more if I primarily raced on PC.

A half experience is just what the doctor ordered for a lot of folk. It means it will only cost half as much to invest in the hobby!

I’m not joking.

The price of entry for flight simming dropped significantly when XBOX and Cloud Gaming got MSFS on their platform.

The folks on this forum prove the adage that 90% of MSFS addons are sold to 10% of players. We in here are far more likely to spend thousands over the years to feed our hobby. Most folks though, they just want to see their house and do some barrel rolls.

1 Like

You don’t get to decide what is a “half experience” for other people. It’s entirely subjective. We all decide for ourselves what is worthwhile and what is not. If you’re getting what you want out of the sim, good for you, but your expectations are not a measure anyone else is required to adopt for themselves.

5 Likes

Interesting observation tonight. I put my Xbox X in 1440p, stuttering/freezing gone. TV out of Game Mode, SIM not in HDR10, turned up TV sharpness. Big difference, runs better than in 4k. I have a Samsung 43" 4k UHD etc. etc. 1440p seems to be the sweet spot for the console. I read about it but never tried it till tonight. Mind you I have no world updates installed or 3rd party stuff, all traffic turned off, and only “online” functionality, Bing Maps and Live weather turned on. I can’t believe the difference. I’m happy once more :+1:

2 Likes

Because as the sim develops and inevitably puts more demand on cpu and gpu capacity, the worry is the Xbox is going to have more and more trouble keeping up. With a pc at least you can upgrade. Of course the hope is Asobo can optimise the sim in line with these advancements, which will in some way make up for these extra demands, but based on the last two years of updates, this hasn’t been too successful.

Also a relatively high end pc - which an Xbox can’t match - allows you to play the sim the way it was really meant to be played. With all the bells and whistles. ; )

And my other point is it is my belief that the Xbox is going to ultimately stifle the true development of this sim. They can never really push the envelope of what this sim is capable of on a pc because they have to constantly ‘dumb it down’ graphically and in terms of features and technology, to cater for Xbox players. Sorry I know this is controversial, but I believe it to be a fact.

1 Like

For the most part, though, this is verifiably wrong.

But beliefs don’t need to be true.

You can get graphics well beyond what an Xbox can deliver on PC. We all have eyes. It is self evident.

In any case, it is the only AAA flight sim on the market, and it wouldn’t even exist were it not for the Xbox.

2 Likes