Live Weather Does Not Match

Complaints, constructive criticism, and corresponding Zendesk tickets should be used as an indicator of how keenly the community feels this issue is affecting them. If we stop talking about it, there is the danger it could slip, and not be seen as a priority when scheduling in what changes make which SU.

On that basis I would advocate the opposite. But it has to be registered in the right way, not a ranting response to a thread.

8 Likes

Yes you are right, Asobo is constantly working on it and we appreciate their effort. What is really frustrating and source of many complaints here is that at release weather depiction was really realistic and very nice. People were not complaining so much, just requesting for improvements related to winds, turbulences, lightings, temperatures, METAR integration. Unfortunately since SU7 and METAR integration they broke how clouds are depicted and it really breaks the immersion. Why are they trying to rebuild everything (that will take months if not years to be back at level it was) if they originally had a very good weather engine with multi layers, clouds variety, good overcast like IRL and just needed some improvements. Meantime many people stopped playing or are not spending hours as at the beginning because weather looks unrealistic, not challenging, break the immersion for people that are looking more for a simulation than a video game. Some people like me just simply don’t understand why weather regressed so much and no explanations have been officially provided, just suppositions from the users that are interested in that matter since for a flight simulation, weather is really important.

13 Likes

Now same problem as many updates back!

I set LZPE airport and upper right Icon shows Rain as indication of real weather (also here in reality) but after load of flight - no rain and sunny with few clouds! This is same bug as before! Icon shows correct real weather state but in sim no same!

And I was already wondering why I was getting clear blue everywhere with no mention of it in the forums…

But pay attention to that Real weather Icon upper right at World menu where Departure and Arrival airports you can set. After set your departure airport (like me) that real weather Icon show to me correct expected weather but in sim not same, maybe postponed???

I was explicitly looking for an airport with currently bad weather. Right now, I’m going with a Caravan from Aberdeen to Edinburgh. The ATIS weather I get from Edinburgh is more or less accurate with the METAR I got from allmetsat. However, it seems like only the airport is overlaid by clouds, everything around it is… Charlie weather.

Edit: Just landed, and reactivated ATIS, saying visibility 3 miles in heavy rain, main cloud layer overcast at 1400 ft [METAR: EGPH 081650Z 06011KT 4500 RA OVC002 12/11 Q1002] - and it didn’t quite look like it:

Edit 2: Fired up a weather app and searching for rain anywhere in the world.
Expectation: Rain in North Little Rock

Result: Blue skies.

3 Likes

It’s really confusing i would say. The example above, where does the weather data we see in the sim comes from?

This is what I got at North Little Rock. No rain but I do have clouds at the metar says storms in the vicinity

1 Like

Looks like we’re in trouble again…

Not again… it is like this since SU7 :sob:

2 Likes

I thought meteoblue was the weather source. But it seems like I‘m behind in terms of accuracy here.

But also METAR is the weather source. When should it match what?

Meteoblue is still the source but since SU7, if a METAR exists for an airport, weather engine is supposed to use that METAR information to generate the weather at and around the airport, what creates in many situations like a bubble since Meteoblue data usually differs from METAR one and as a consequence transitions are hard.

2 Likes

the funny thing is - I had quite positive results just before :thinking: (unexpected) !

EDDL - EDDH

EDDL - METAR (real) - EDDL 081920Z AUTO 21005KT 9999 -SHRA FEW//TCU 15/14 Q1007 NOSIG

Same weather in the SIM - rain, cloudy - rain did not stop as usual either !
then on route - thick clouds up to over 20000 feet

METAR according to EFB in EDDH was CAVOK - but on arrival in the SIM light rain and cloudy, “solid” overcast - after crosschecking WEBCAM and METAR update the SIM was correct - so the weather was correct even before updating METAR ???

Performance good, LIVE traffic a bit delayed but accurate (use the AIG “simobjects”) PF3 (ATC) gave good instructions, even AI Traffic used the right runways :face_with_monocle: :thinking: - was really enjoyable again !

Yes, hope that they can make the weather concisten soon.

1 Like

METAR incorrectly depicted, the 3 clouds layers reported are missing:

Restarting the flight I am now seeing some clouds but looks like just 1 layer or maybe 2 having the feeling they are grouped together :

Another airport, light rain ok, but scattered 2200 not correctly shown, it is more overcast. I hope
Devs are looking at those kind of issues and have them fixed in SU10

1 Like

The last picture is a good example of METAR’s inability to describe weather. Reporting rain with just one layer of SCT is strange. Anything but wind and pressure from especially the AUTO METAR should be ignored.

4 Likes

I wish we could choose to skip everything from METAR :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s what I meant - in EDDH METAR was also CAVOK (according to METAR) but after checking the weather map and webcam the SIM was “right” - maybe in your case it wasn’t scattered at all but just another weather which was right - maybe they start to take additional sources here which is actually not bad - or is it a pure coincidence. Theoretically the METAR value (also IRL) has changed afterwards also in the SIM - to what I saw above all without “transition” - improvement or coincidence or just coincidental agreement with METEOBLUE forecast - “maybe exactly there lies somewhere the dog buried”.
No idea !

You can compare the weather you see on the Meteoblue page too. We often just show the METAR but Meteoblue forecast is equally important to show right? I need to learn do that as well :slight_smile:

Should be clear with haze around this airport when i check Meteoblue, Checking METAR it’s good visibility. Here it looks more like it matches METAR. So when can we expect it to match METAR or Meteoblue? That question i would like them to answere :slight_smile:

I must say the clouds looks so much better for me now though but clouds near the aircraft seems to dissapear. Really transparant.