Live weather stops injecting after a certain duration flown / certain time flown

It’s HIGHLY likely it’s a server issue, live weather is centralized from servers.

This is why it would be nice if Asobo could open their SDK so we can get Active Sky. At least fix the live weather outages, that would be nice.

1 Like

Again just now the live weather clouds stopped injecting about 1h20m into my flight. So immersion breaking.

I can now confirm that this is a server issue that is most likely tied to date and time. This has been happening almost consistently between 05:00 - 11:00 UTC (overnight here in Eastern US). Interestingly, I have also found out that this might be one of the reasons for abysmal low fps! As the clouds disappeared (wind data however, still correct), something in the sim slowly grinds to a halt until there is literally no GPU utilization at all. (1-5FPS)

I dont know if anyone can confirm this?

2 Likes

Yes can confirm. When the bug happens, performance is decreasing after a certain amount of time - even until ctd if flying long enough. Live weather stops injecting after a certain duration flown / certain time flown - #146 by MintCreator4164

Noticed on EU-West it is usally happening between 08:00 - 11:00 UTC in the last two weeks.

3 Likes

Sounds plausible - this is also the time that I fly (0800z is 6pm here in Australia which is when I always do my flying). However the last two nights (Thursday and Friday) I have done 2hr flights at the same time (leaving around 0900z and arriving 1100z with no issues whatsoever.

One thing I just realised is that with Volanta, I have the flight autosaving and at least in the PMDG 737 I can quit MSFS and reload the flight from Volanta to reinstate the weather. Not a great workaround but better than landing in clear skies all the time!

This does seem like a really big game-breaking bug…I wonder why Asobo hasn’t acknowledged or done anything to investigate this?

3 Likes

This thread is flagged as “feedback-logged”, that means devs are investigating, i guess we need to be patient until they move it to “bug-logged”, because this is definitively a bug.

2 Likes

Oh man. I sincerely hope we don’t have to wait another year or two for something like this to be fixed…

2 Likes

Oh yeah its so frustrating… Another long haul messed up. Got this bug right now at 9:50 UTC on EU-West. I can cancel my flight now as it has to go on for another 6 hours, but the sim will ctd until then.

Yeah. I personally wouldn’t recommend tinkering with IPv6 or anything as suggested before to fix things. I have no problem doing long-hauls in live weather as long as I avoid the time window during which this bug is guaranteed to appear.

Pretty sure this is a bug on Asobo’s side, not us.

3 Likes

From my end I at least have the Volanta workaround above that works perfectly for me.

I had found out that the online server will restart itself at about 7.30am UTC as there is a notification stating that online server disconnected and reconnect itself. So therefore, if you are flying at about 7.30am, you will noticed that the clouds stop injecting. That most probably be the root cause of this issue. But however before or after the server restarts and you start flying again, you won’t experience that clouds stop injecting.

3 Likes

For several weeks now I have not had any live weather at all. No clouds on the world map and no live weather on any selected flight.
I thought I had tried everything and was about to give up.
But then I spotted this thread and disabled IPv6 on my Ethernet Card and it worked a treat. Full live weather again and very happy.
Thank you :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

interesting discussion here. LW used to work great, to me it was one of the highlights of this sim. I think I had the “wall of clouds” happen a couple of times and then about a month ago, it just stopped working. My issue isn’t with conditions changing in the middle of a flight, in my case, every single flight is in clear, CAVU conditions, regardless of what the actual weather is doing at the time. I’m at the point where I end up screwing around with custom weather at take-off and then mid-flight and then prior to descent to I can get close to real weather. Just hoping there was some sort of quick fix to get parital functionality restored, especially since it looks like many of you still have some level of LW currently.

On here somewhere, I read about IPv6 maybe being the culprit. I recently deactivated it in my network adapter’s settings and now live weather seems to work for me.

Since I have my gaming PC connected via cable, I only disabled ethernet’s IPv6 and left WiFi’s intact.

Hope it’ll help you!

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Live weather stops injecting after a certain duration flown / certain time flown:

Per the discussion above, I also disabled IPv6 and now live weather works as it’s designed 100% of the time …so far. The world map shows cloud cover and the departure/ arrival airports reflect the current conditions with little or no lag in loading time. Before I was getting success about 1/10 and usually was only at the first departure point. So there seems to be a definite correlation. My system is a PC/win11 Steam + Ethernet.
Since Microsoft does not recommend turning IPv6 off, it is inconvenient to disable/enable before/after MSFS 2020 is played. You would think Microsoft/Asobo will look at this discrepancy…the game is so much better with live wx.
I will continue to check this and will post changes or any adverse effects.
If anyone is interested…Ctrl Pnl…Network and Internet…Network and Sharing Ctr…Ethernet…Properties…(Drop Menu)…Internet Protocol Version 6…(Uncheck)…(Press OK)
Please post your results. NOTE: My setup came with IPv4 and IPv6…I only disabled IPv6 for this experiment…don’t know if this makes a difference.
2022-09-05T04:00:00Z

2 Likes

What I am wondering so far… Is Asobo aware of this problem? Is there any statement about this very significant issue?

No success for me.
I have IPv6 disabled by default, but still the weather disappears during almost all flights…

1 Like

Pretty sure this is a bug on their server. See posts above - in most cases it happens between 7:00-11:00 UTC.