LOD problems - Trees & Water

Try LOD 1000 and you will realize pretty quickly that your PC is not powerful enough. Cant see how ASOBO could fix that. We are not there yet

1 Like

Enable the Developer mode and then the FPS display. That will possibly reveal which game system thread is bringing things down. I suspect CoherentGTDraw will be the culprit having gone from sub 1ms to double digits :slight_smile:

Hello friends.
I am a pilot in real life and have used a simulator for training and planning my flights since FS 5.0, that is, 27 years ago. I followed the development of this fantastic hobby and was extremely excited when I heard the news of Microsoftā€™s return to the simulator market.
I bought the Premium Deluxe version in the pre sale and after installing the FS2020 I was enchanted with the beautiful images that the simulator was providing me, despite the performance of the machine being very bad because I use various equipment from Saitek and then I learned about the simconnect problem.
After patch 1, the simconnect problem solved, the software started to run smooth and fluid and I found myself in the sky, literally, with stunning images and magnificent performance! Everything perfect? Of course not, but only operational problems or other details that could be remedied without so much work or insurmountable difficulties. The base was already made, and by the way. I already have a lot of experience in simulation and I know how it is ā€¦ I just had to tune in, I thought. However after patch 2 update, my disappointment was total. The images that now appear, look nothing like the previous version. I was in doubt thinking that my memory was betraying me and that I had not seen what I thought I had. Yesterday, after watching a video on Youtube, of a flight in Saint Denis - RĆ©union Island - FMEE and seeing the photogrammetric images, I was curious to fly there to see what it would be like on my computer. To my disappointment, I found that my version of the FS2020 is not exactly the same as that of others who posted videos about this island. The solo textures and terrain mesh that I see on YouTube videos are completely different from what I see here. I now have a simulator that looks more like FSX or P3D with ORBX textures. The terrain mesh leaves the mountains looking like melted ice cream. A tragedy!
Asobo needs to tell us what is going on and what to do to change this. Are there different versions of the FS2020? If so, what are the criteria used to deliver one version or the other to each user? My computer is not so bad, so much that Iā€™m getting an average of 40 fps in this version I received, with settings from high to ultra and would give up much of that performance to have better images! I actually need that. I actually demand that!
With great disappointment, I leave the floor to Mrs. Asobo!

15 Likes

Thank you for your time and thoughts! Good readā€¦

Upvote sir. Lets let them make the simulator great again !

I mean even fsx with ultimate terrain looked better

Oh, the LOD is certainly botched. I took off out of Stewart airport and the mountain walls of the sound were sparse and bare. Even worse, I watch the trees in the distance and they start to sparsely fade in. Then, they disappear and pop out of existence only to fade back in again, sometimes. Sometimes they never come back. And that is on Ultra with a 200 LOD setting. What a mess.

Asobo, if you did this on purpose, itā€™s a problem. I was not sold an FSX looking sim. I was in the Alpha, Beta, and now Iā€™m a customer. This platform has taken a turn for the worse in every regard after patch 2. Graphically, and otherwise. So much so, all purchases from me are on hold until I see how this shakes out. You got me for a few aircraft and scenery airports prior to patch two. I will not continue to invest in this platform if it canā€™t even render its default scenery properly and the aircraft, avionics, and weather system we were told would be functional continue to fail as they do now.

If anyone here claims not to be experiencing these issues, you must be out to lunch. Iā€™ve got a pretty stout system with 64GB of RAM and a 2080ti. Iā€™m getting 50-58 FPS slightly tuned off of Ultra before and after the patch. So what was the point of the patch again? Why they had to nerf the entire sim is something Iā€™ll never understand, nor support. Literally!

9 Likes

302/5000

I see here a lot of small problems with lighting and rendering distance as being big problems. Now imagine you lose all photogrammetric textures and start having only textures like those of FSX or P3D !!!??? I think, now, that it makes perfect sense what AnkH828072 said when referring to the issue of traffic on servers. I live in Brazil and maybe thatā€™s why they demoted my textures to trash like the FSX textures.
ASOBO, YOUā€™VE TAKEN MY PHOTOGRAMETRIC TEXTURES AND I WANT IT BACK !!!

2 Likes

Well, for me and a lot of people that are mostly on lower systems than yours (but not all of them) we used to have a lot of huge stuttering at regular intervals for 2 to 10 seconds where the game was unresponsive as it would suddenly go down to unusable 9-10fps with CPU usage going to 100%. The more the crowded the scenery was, the more youā€™d have those and the closer they were between each. Oddly enough, game was smoother back then in between with higher FPS most of the time than after patch 2. One surprising thing too was that if you alt-tabbed your way out of MSFS and let it run in the background during one of those massive drops, despite still being under 100% CPU, the game would run nicely despite a few FPS loss. But as soon as you alt-tab your way back in if it was still under 100%, then it would massively drop again and become unresponsive.

After patch 2 though, none of this occurs anymore. I could be all wrong, this is just an assumption, but I feel like it was tied to how the scenery was loading in ā€œbig burstsā€ so to speak that plagued older systems resources too much at regular intervals as the faster the plane was the more often it used to occur. (Iā€™m using an old i7 4790K OC@4.6 with a 1070 and 16GB RAM, a system that, otherwise, gives me very satisfactory performances in high or even close to Ultra in 1080p).

What I fear is that, for lack of a proper solution yet, in the meantime they chose to downgrade the game (so to speak) for everybody, effectively momentarily taking care of this problem at the expanse of graphics while they investigate the matter more deeply.

I hope itā€™s not that, especially for people with high-end rigs who shouldnā€™t have to deal with this, but that would make some sort of sense.

Yes, they stated that they changed resource management

Indeed, and it worked but seeing all of this, I canā€™t help to fear that ā€œthey changedā€ means ā€œthey downgradedā€ :sweat_smile:

Then again, itā€™s all just assumptionsā€¦ Interestingly, in my steam screen capture folder, I just saw that I didnā€™t delete older screens from even before patch1. Iā€™m going to try and replicate them as much as possible and do some before/after comparison. Nothing beats doing that

1 Like

I have still access to any version before this patch so If you need any pre-patch screenshots just send me the steps to reproduce and i can try. Trees and water is already confirmed.

As i mentioned somewhere earlier, all shading or lighting seems off to me.

2 Likes

That would be great! Nothing beats a before/after for a proof rather than ā€œThe game looks uglier than beforeā€ which is just a mere statementā€¦

We should do this in the other thread with more vote: Ground texture - Low resolution - Internet incorrect Bandwidth

As I donā€™t have much of those, try to do FL100+ before after comparison where you thinks itā€™s particularly worse than before, document them with your graphic settings and the GPS coordinate you used (or as close to it) so I can go to the exact same place and try with my patch2 MSFS and see if thereā€™s also real differences between you and me.

In the meantime, I will replicate as much as possible my older screens back from august and attach my settings, system details and gps coordinate so that you can try the same places with/without patches. That should settle some of the debate here

1 Like

I noticed this grid last time I flew over Easter Island. IĀ“ve only seen it in that coastline.

Better detail:

I believe those are japanese symbols, possibly update to prepare for Japan DLC

btw its super weird

1 Like

Yup horrible ā€¦ totaly messed up in comparison with the the product i bought weeks ago :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

The worst part is how Asobo claims in new Japan DLC announcement that they strive to upgrade graphics. Yet , the opposite happened with patch 2

1 Like

Donā€™t worry, if you claim this you will be personally attacked by the the game is not broke groupā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping itā€™s just another bug ā€“ or series of bugs ā€“ they will eventually fix, rather than intentional.

1 Like

602/5000

Yesterday, after a lot of stress to see that there are people with the simulator presenting images completely different from mine, in the same places (RĆ©union Island - FMEE) as you can see in the photos, I decided to take a painful and drastic attitude: uninstall the simulator and reinstall it. I did that, and after going through this whole process, when installing it again I noticed that it hasnā€™t changed, absolutely nothing. My ground textures are the same as FSX. The terrain mesh, too, that is, terrible! Now I have no explanation, and I donā€™t know what else to do ā€¦
ASOBO HELP ME, PLEASE!!!