Longterm for XBox

Ok, so I got them and am flying over San Francisco right now. Wow, does it look so much better! It some ways it looks a bit hyperreal, but that is fine by me. Really, really cool to have these improvements for night flights, which is such a great way to enjoy the major metropolitan areas.

It looks like the SF package also included Oakland (my home for the first 28 years of my life), which is a mega bonus.

2 Likes

tried that but didnt work for me. using the keyboard commands for the throttle

Yeah, there are things you don’t even notice unless you do a quick compare with and without. Like Chicago, you notice the one building is blue. You also notice the thruway to the west of Chicago is all lit up (as it should be). But when flying along the lake shore line, it’s pretty dark. The night package has small lights scattered along the shore in place, as it would be with houses and such (I’m not sure why they aren’t lit without the pack). And the pier off of Chicago is lit. Things you wouldn’t really notice so much as what they did, but it’s there none the less, and makes it so much better. One of the cities in holland (I forgot the name of it), you could actually see the red light distract. I had heard the term, nut I didn’t know it really was a district that the lights were all red… lol. All in all, I’m pleased with them, and just flying around Florida at night since there are so many cities there that are enhanced is very cool.

Nice! I grew up in Castro Valley!

1 Like

East Bay in the house! Haha!

1 Like

I wish we could fly in and out of the former Alameda Naval Air Station.

I do, too. I used to go down to the pier, grab a polish sausage and watch the Navy pilots do touch & gos.

1 Like

I had been thinking of getting the San Fran enhancement as well as the south Florida area enhancements but hadn’t pulled the trigger due to my lockup\crash issues a few weeks earlier with some add-ons I had gotten. But now I at least know how to troubleshoot and disable if any going forward cause problems. I will probably pick some up.

So you’ve basically got 2 cities covered? That’s a pleasant surprise. The big thing is, how does the Golden Gate, Bay Bridge and Alcatraz look? Do they get some light?

Oh, yeah, the bridges are crazy lit up, hence the hyperreal comment. I missed looking for Alcatraz as I was too absorbed in downtown.

Everything is so Technicolor looking.

1 Like

The default SF, Alcatraz has like 1 light, the bridges are completely blacked out, it looks weird and so wrong. You said you got San Jose to? You would effectively have lit up the entire Bay Area right? Half Moon Bay as well? What size of area are we dealing with? Levi Stadium had better get some light too huh.

The Rock!

What’s weird is how the Bay Bridge looks not lit like it does in the sim. Maybe the angle I took this from?

1 Like

The whole island is basked in light, including surrounding water, you don’t get close to that by default. I can actually “see” the Bay Bridge, the downtown area is popping with more color, even the shore line sees great improvements and actually “see” it more proper. Other POI would see greater illumination no doubt? Do I need to even mention at this point how you can see many more miles to the horizon with greater intensity. These upgrades are awesome and more significant than you may think huh?

it is good news that all ‘official’ MFS updates/DLC will be for PC & Xbox - Day 1,

really looking forward to the Australian WU - for both platforms - late January…

That isn’t news, nor is it any change. World updates and patches have always come out on the same day for both platforms. But you know that, you joined the forums in December 2019, even before the PC release.

1 Like

the Australian World Update will add so much more to the Xbox experience,

& seeing my home country in 4K HDR - yes please, with plenty to explore,

should be trouble-free Xbox flying!

have you found problems with these on Xbox?

Some care will need to be taken I am sure. For example, if one of the handcrafted airports happens to be the same as a payware airport the user owns, the new duplicate will make the Conent Manager read CTD happen more if the duplicate is nit addressed. Not everyone pays attention or knows to addresss those duplicates, so it does have the chance to increase the CTD occurances if care isn’t taken.

You’re Aussie? Queenslander here.

I’ve been having fun wondering what POI we’ll get. Fingers crossed for All major sporting grounds for a good start, it really sucks seeing the MCG as a 2D image. SCG, Gabba, ANZ, WACA etc.
The 12 Apostles are technically represented but not good enough. Old and New Parliament houses, City Halls of course. Some bridges. That’d make up 50 or so objects just right there. There’s honestly a lot we have that could easily make up a hundred POI, together with updated map data, photogrammetry, it’d make for an awfully robust update for a small population country.

1 Like

General Xbox map question - how often is the Bing U.S. satellite image library updated? One example in my hometown we had one of our golf courses get extensively built recently. In game it still shows a construction site 50% completed, the image looks to be from 4-5 years ago. If I go to Bing maps now it shows a more recent image that has the course completed.

3 Likes