Mid-air and on ground collisions with other aircraft

Please consider adding a feature to enable mid-air and on ground collisions with other aircraft, and also better collision graphics in general rather than just the dull black screen.

Agreed, but fix the AI behavior first. Ground vehicles yield to aircraft, not the other way around. Also vehicles need clearance to be outside the ramp which is to say they generally shouldn’t be cruising the taxiways. Ground vehicles should be virtually non-existent on the ramp or taxiways at small airports. AI aircraft need to exit the runway at the first turn-off after they have decelerated to a safe speed and ATC should maintain enough separation so that go arounds almost never happen. When those things are fixed, please do turn on collisions with other aircraft and ground vehicles.

6 Likes

Totally agree, just thought it so awkward landing through the body of a 747, but yes i did land without clearance :).

And too many ground vehicles on the runway out of place, agree that should be fixed too.

In the end it should be optional to have collisions with other aircraft as you cannot control the behavior of other players and AI.

I have a two-go-around rule. After ATC sends me around twice, my third approach will end with wheels on the runway, and if that involves plowing through traffic, so be it! :rofl:

3 Likes

You’ve got “AI” traffic that is actually REAL WORLD traffic. Controllers in our sims can’t actually “control” them, they’re just gonna do what they’re gonna do. And why would anyone care about “better collision graphics”? I’d much rather have the devs working on more important things.

Besides, I suspect the manufacturers won’t allow it. As photorealistic as the graphics are, not only could a casual pic of a “crash” harm their reputation, under the right (wrong?) set of circumstances, could potentially setoff a real world panic.

1 Like

Fair point, though it would be nice to have some form of visual feedback, whether you survived or if the plane is totaled. At least from a game enjoyment point of view that would be a nice have.

Hi there,
I think better aircraft damage is covered in another topic:

As for collisions, I’d be all in favor of collisions with other players in multiplayer mode, and collisions with real-world and AI traffic in all modes. But I’d personally rather not allow collisions with other players in the other modes for a few reasons:

1. Some players have no idea what they’re doing.
  2. Someone might spawn right in front of you.
    Even in the future if they prevented spawning on runways, you could drive right through a parking spot just as a player is spawning.
  3. Some players will not follow the rules and land on taxiways or the wrong runways.
  4. Some players could seek to deliberately disrupt other players’ gameplay by crashing into them.
1 Like

Hi N316TS,

Yes I think you have a point there and I agree with your proposed solution. Didn’t quite think about the spawning issue on the runway. Would be hard to get around that without creating long waiting time for players, so your suggestions sounds good to me!

Regards,
Marcus

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, there are two good spawning topics out there (1, 2) that might make something like this a little easier some day!

1 Like

Thanks, I have voted on those to suggestions, hopefully that will get addressed in a future patch.
Regards.
Marcus

Agreed this in no GTA5 :smiley:

1 Like

The problem that could arise, if collisions with other aircraft is added not as an option but as the norm, there’ll be people deliberately crashing into others. For that reason more than any other I love how we can pass through each other.

1 Like

Agree, should be optional so you are not affected by others activity if you do not want it.

I have come to be in favor of plane-to-plane collisions, especially for people who like spawning on popular runways in multiplayer. Maybe if someone runs into them a few times, they’ll learn that’s rude and just generally a bad idea. It’s one of the biggest reasons I’ve just resorted to leaving multiplayer turned off.

Alternatively, we could have 2 multiplayer tiers. One for “anything goes”, and one for more serious simmers with rules like “must spawn in a parking spot”.

1 Like

Yes, do this and then release it on Xbox as part of the gamepass subscription and enjoy the fireworks on the forums when airports are one constant fireball.

Or…not.

1 Like

I just turned off Multiplayer recently (due to the DC-6 being a problem with it at the time), but have kept it off since the issue was fixed. I really don’t enjoy seeing the circus that ensues at the busier airports when people do ridiculous things.

I’d love this. It would add another danger to the flight . When I started playing, I thought it was possible to collide with other airplanes & therefore was often instructed to increase/decrease altitude to avoid collision. I must say it was quite a thrill before I found out they just phase out when they get too near. Maybe only AI plane collsion? or players too? I guess if players can collide with each other ,we are gonna see players flying into other players on purpose etc :joy: As @geoffda pointed out AI needs to be improved first for this to work properly Improve AI Traffic at Airports and in The Air - #71 by TripsyTipsy
I guess collision with other players can remain optional,next to collisions with AI planes.
I was thinking that real damage to planes would be cool,like damage in carmageddon. While that would be so cool,in function of a sim ,realistic damage might not be something to put high on the wishlist.As that is not what this sim is about & isnt much of an added value for its current feautures.So that time might be better spent improving other aspects of the game.If on the other hand they would ever add Warbirds , it might do such a feature as real damage effects more justice. I must admit I came to FS because I was tired of all the violent games. So I’m happy as it is. But the lurking danger of collision does add to the experience & gives more purpose to requesting increase/decrease in altitudes etc too.

I am the same, I only turn it on when doing group fly ins. Any saving of CPU cycles is always a bonus :smiley:

1 Like

I reckon it wouldn’t be hard to set that as a rule in the code, that you can ONLY spawn in a vacant parking spot. :smiley:

Old fsx has an aircraft hit crash detection! Xp didnt ! So we are sure fsx is as real as it gets!

However,Today in 21st century,the modern MSFS doest has aircraft crash detection when two planes hit each other.
Any ideas?