Missing "Ready to Fly" message in VR since SU13

I seem to remember they did comment that FS2024 would support VR, but I haven’t seen any indication that existing problems would be addressed in the new sim.

No change there, then.

1 Like

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

YES

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Happens only in VR every 3-4 times starting the flight, I have just to click “RESTART” and then the button “Ready to fly” is OK

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

In the latest development update this bug is listed at number 6 on the “Last 6 months bug list”.

It’s good to see thay have listed it under “Bugs”, although the status “No Repro Yet” indicates they haven’t looked very hard to find it. Such a high position on the list for what they deem is a “minority” interest must surely underline that it is a problem they need to identify, and to fix.

SU13 introduced several issues related to the interface when in VR that occurs occasionally:

1. The ready to fly button is often missing, meaning you have to restart the flight.
  2. Multiplayer name plates missing.
  3. Toolbar is showing text labels and downscaled symbols.
  4. Toolbar completely missing.
  5. Custom toolbar button in the toolbar is active and cannot be disabled.
  6. Buttons in the menu (when you hit esc) not responsive.

I was taking it for granted that this would be fixed in SU14, but it wasn’t. So I’m not very optimistic about this being ironed out. I used to run he beta versions before and have experienced the sim running well until official release, then all the bugs shows up. God knows what happens in the transition from beta to release, so I don’t see any point in participating anymore.

1 Like

I appreciate your frustration.

Asobo have now accepted this is a problem by labelling it as “bug-logged”,months after it was reported (in the SU13 beta), but goodness knows when they will actually get around to fixing it.

It is quite likely that the toolbar being messed up is part of the same problem, which should help them find the cause, but I’m not holding my breath.

With all the problems in VR (even more than you’ve mentioned), I find I’m flying less often in FS2020, which means when I do fly these problems become more obvious and make FS2020 even less enjoyable.

And I can’t see FS2024 being any better, tbh.

I have also been experiencing all the issues you note since SU14 was released. Thankfully a restart of the flight or a switch in and out of VR seems to resolve them, but it is still a bit disappointing that such simple UI issues exist in the first place.

I too used to participate in the SU betas, but gave up in frustration at a IMO notable VR bug I reported back around 18 months ago (Cursor focal point misaligned in instrument views) that is STILL not fixed. VR users may be a minority, but that shouldn’t mean we get ignored entirely.

6 Likes

This happens to me quite regularly (maybe one in 5-10 flights), and not always in the same way. The view is always darkened but sometimes I get no button / text at all overlaid, other times I get the button but it’s non-clickable, and once or twice I’ve had the button and/or other text with no formatting at all (ie. nothing is a button).

Simply restarting the flight nearly always fixes it on the first try, although just once or twice I’ve had to restart the flight two times to get it fixed.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. About half the time, during my first flight since last sim restart, ready to fly is glitched, the city labels are black instead of white, and player labels are too small. If I’m flying a black square aircraft, the avionics glitch. The only way to get it to work is to go back to the main menu and start again.

I love this sim, but this one is really disappointing. I took a long break from playing recently and assumed things would be in tip top shape after so many updates. To discover that such fundamental game breaking problems are still creeping in just makes me sad. It doesn’t bode well for the future of the franchise.

1 Like

Yes, it seems to be happening to me more often now, and it is a pain having to restart so often.

Despite being number 6 on the list of “Bugs - Last 6 Months”, Asobo seem to be doing their best to ignore it. It took a long time to change its status from “feedback-logged” to “bug-logged”, and it’s still only marked as “under investigation” rather than “started” in the bugs list. I first reported it during SU13 Beta, and this thread has been open since September 2023, so it will soon drop out of the list when the 6 months is up. Yet in all that time there has been not been a single comment from Asobo.

They obviously have never taken it seriously.

This never happens on the first flight. But more or less every time I do another flight the Fly Now button is missing. Restarting flight fixed it.
Frustrating…still another bug introduced in the sim. It’s obvious that VR is not a focus for Asobo since SU5.

1 Like

Just watched the live stream.

I must give a shout-out to Jayne for reminding the “team” that VR does still exist, and has got some problems.

The responses were short, along the lines of “improvements elsewhere will help VR as well”, but hopefully this will nudge them in a better direction.

2 Likes

Still not fixed in SU15 beta.

No, still often absent or mixed up just in the first day of flying.

Also, for the first time for me, my toolbar was missing on one flight. Several of the dashboard buttons weren’t responding as well. A flight restart cured it, but I’m afraid it might be yet another (intermitttent) regression.

I was hopeful of some progress given the length of time since the last update, but my stutters are still bad (despite the optimistic Release Notes), so overall rather disappointing.

SU 15 beta is worse for me. Yesterday I had to restart 5 times before I got one working session. The other 4 times I got a combination of no ready to fly button, a messed up ready to fly button with messed up label text, or just messed up label text. I’m just dumbfounded.

1 Like

Is it better to start VR mode after you enter the cockpit? It seems to help with many issues for me

That’s what I do for now. No problems so far. It’s a shame we have to resort to those workarounds…

For me, this problem has been exacerbated bu SU15 beta. In addition, other problems have occurred which could well be linked.

Below is a report I tried to post in the SU15 beta section, but was removed as deemed not relevant to the beta, so I’m posting it here instead.

PROBLEMS STARTING A FLIGHT IN VR

It has been a problem in VR that the “Ready to Fly” message is often missing or distorted, but this seems to be worse in SU15. In addition other problems are now randomly occuring when a flight is started in VR. In just one flight I had this succession of problems:

• The tool bar was missing (see separate topic). I needed to exit and re-enter VR.
  • I could not start the ATC window with my usual shortcut. I had to use the toolbar (once it was re-enabled).
  • Although my joystick was working for the ailerons and elevator, it would not control the engine levers. Using the touch controllers in the cabin also would not work. I had to exit and restart the flight.
  • Despite being enabled (and ususally works), my co-pilot stopped responding to ATC messages. I chose to put up with this, rather than restart the flight yet again.

In other flights

• As mentioned above, the “Ready to Fly” message is missing more often.
  • Several times in previous flights in SU15, some of the controls on the dashboard were not working (although they have worked previously). Again, this would require a restart.

There is definitely something needs fixing in the VR flight start-up. Several separate, unconnected items are either not being set-up correctly in the code, or being randomly over-written.This seems to have become a significant problem in SU13, and has got worse with each update since.

This is not a VR only bug, I don’t use VR and often have the “Ready to Fly” button missing. Hope they fix it soon.

3 Likes

I have also faced both missing Ready to fly and missing handle bar menu (including menu keyboard shortcuts not working). Handle bar menu seems to be missing more often if you start the flight in the air rather than parked.

1 Like

I use the same work-around, at least that works.

1 Like