Mouse lags in VR

This is partially fixed in the upcoming SU8 release, whilst the main controls seen to be ok I’m still having issues with buttons not responding when most is over toolbar window or Garmin screen.

As for the topic of mouse lagging, this is unfortunately not fixed in SU8 (beta).

Yesterday I thought I found a solution - to press the mouse wheel over a vfr map or atc window - the cursor disappears and the throttle/pedal controls are no longer affected.

However, just before landing, I lost control of throttle once again AND the engine died.

I’ve no idea whether it was my poor airmanship or some new glitch. We’ll be well trained in handling simulator glitches in-flight by the time they are all fixed, it seems : )

I also have major problems with mouse lag in VR mode. I do not have the Airbus TCA
I also find I have to move the mouse out of view and let it reappear to manipulate the overhead panel, in fact wherever I a m looking. It is unplayable for me at the moment.

Since SU8 (and in Public Beta) I have a laggy mouse in VR. It freezes every few hunded milliseconds and that makes interaction hard. Didn´t change anything with peripherals or hardware. It occured during flight with the FBW Airbus.

System: RTX3090, 12900k, 64GB Ram, Logitech 502 Lightspeed Mouse, Logitech rudder, Logitech X56 Hotas System.

Anyone else? Is there a possible fix or idetified cause for this?

I - like many other people obviously - have been experiencing far longer than SU8. Feels to me like it’s smooth when the mouse is constantly moving, but any pause - even a fraction of a second - causes it to stick.

Also feels linked to performance as far as I can tell. In the A320NX it’s often very noticeable when starting cold and dark at the gate, but has completely disappeared after climbing to altitude where framerates are considerably higher.

Same problem here…

The Mouse Lagging is (was fingers crossed!) much worse after SU8, before it was very random and only happened once so often, with SU8 it’s practically every flight. So I went into the Controllers Menu and added 5% Deadzone to every single USB Device/Controller in there that had a Sensitivity Option - That appears to of done the trick.
Originally I thought it was Rudder Pedals but they were already at 5% deadzone, so I think it may of been my Xbox Controller, either way I just added 5% to every single one as I don’t have the patience to go through them all individually to find out exactly which one could’ve been the issue (I have a lot of USB devices plugged in).

hmm not sure this did the trick , Mouse was lagging badly after initially working just fine, then towards the end of the flight it was smooth again. Something in-between was causing it to lag, will try and figure out what exactly (PITA this)

I just started noticing this after SU8. Haven’t seen this before. Super annoying indeed!

I was experiencing this very same issue with lagging mouse. It was only happening when I moved the engine crank switch on my thrustmaster A320 throttle quadrant to start A320 engines. As soon as I switched it back the lagging stopped… So it must be either the throttle or maybe the switch key mapping. This was not only on A320 all other aircraft as well. I have never set anything up with throttle after installing, I just use the default settings upon install.

Mouse becomes laggy and difficult to move in VR mode

Are you on Xbox, Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Store

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
Once you use VR the mouse becomes less responsive, making difficult to go to the switches

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Enter VR mode, use the mouse

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:
Wired mouse - Reverb G2 - 3090

I had this mouse trouble once in the past. Sometimes it would move fine but mostly it was jittery and hard to aim it at the buttons.

It turned out to be a problem with my throttle. One of my buttons on the throttle had stopped working so I stopped programming any functions to that button so I never thought about it. But it turned out that faulty button was sending constant signals to the computer and those signals were disrupting my USB mouse. I ended up taking apart the throttle and fixing the button by just cleaning the contacts. When the throttle button was fixed my mouse problems disappeared and I haven’t had them since… and the button still works!

If you have any problems with any of your other USB devices I’d look there. If there’s a button/switch/axis that’s not working reliably get it fixed. Or you could unplug your other USB devices and see if the mouse starts working normally. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Do you have the Thrustmaster TCA Throttle?

If so it is the engine mode selector switch. If set to IGN / START the mouse will lag. As soon as you switch it back to MODE NORM the lagging stops.

This is what I found works for me anyway after hours of trying to find the culprit.

Thanks to both, I cant see a problem with my other USB devices and this only happens in VR, as soon as I stop VR the mouse moves without a problem. Also, more pronunced if I use FBW A320. Do you see this on VR only?

2 Likes

I would still try unplugging stuff to find if that has any effect. I didn’t find my error until checking like this so there could be something that you’re not noticing. Anyway, it’s worth a try if you have no other leads to solve the problem.

SU5 seems to have degraded management of interrupts, causing it to be susceptible to cheap peripherals such as the Logitech Throttle Quadrant. This causes symptoms such as laggy mouse.

This particular quadrant (at least samples from the last couple of years) suffers from jitter, which itself seems to be caused by USB voltage fluctuations on the motherboard (and poor design of the quadrant for not being shielded against that).

Because of the jitter, when a lever is set to idle, it may trigger and untrigger the detente action multiple times per second. Prior to SU4 this would be ignored by the sim (or at least not trigger issues). In SU5 this seems to be causing so many interrupts that it interferes with the mouse, which suddenly becomes laggy.

Workaround is to plug the throttle quadrant into a powered USB hub for stable voltage - however it still shows a poorer management of interrupts in SU5 compared to SU4, where mouse remained smooth.

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.

No

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

In-game mouse cursor suddenly because extremely laggy, seems to resist mouse movement

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

No.

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Have a Logitech Quadrant plugged into a cheap motherboard USB. To check that it is the case, observe jitter on the Logitech Quadrant axes.
Once done, set at least one lever to idle, and have a detente function assigned to that level detente.
Check that the quadrant jitter causes the detente action to be triggered/untriggered multiple times per second because of the jitter.

Fly, and interact with the cockpit via mouse. After 5-10 minutes or so, mouse should become laggy (bonus points if you do it in VR - I fly in VR exclusively).

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU5 pre hot fix (also happens post hotfix 1 and hot fix 2)

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?

Microsoft Store

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

I’ve also noticed this behavior since SU5. Performance of the sim is fine but when using the mouse to manipulate buttons and switches, you can detect a slight “laggy” feel to the movement of the mouse, which is off putting. Prior to SU5, this definitely wasn’t an issue.

Agree with this problem. See my post here detailing my experience.

I realize after reading a few more replies in here how this bug you’re talking about maybe isn’t the one I first thought it was.

What I’ve seen after SU8 is how moving the mouse pointer over some buttons etc won’t always highlight the button to indicate you can manipulate it. Instead, nothing happens at all and it’s impossible to use the knob or whatever you’re hovering the mouse pointer over. Where the workaround seems to be moving the mouse pointer away from the knob/button and then when you move it back after a few seconds, all of a sudden it’s working normally again.

As said, not sure if this is a separate bug or related to what you guys are talking about in this thread. Regardless, it’s super annoying and I’ve only seen this since SU 8 was released.

4 Likes

I’ve also noticed that adjusting rotary knobs using the mousewheel is much more sluggish when framerates are low. Reckon that’s another effect of the same problem?