Hello, I own the MS Store version and I had started to run out of space on my 1TB SSD so I installed an additional 4TB SSD that I want to move MSFS to. I’ve done some research and found 2 options… 1) to copy the Official and Community folders to the new drive and edit the UserCfg.opt file to point to the new drive, or 2) Use the Apps & Features “Move” option to move it to the new drive.
Is one method preferred over the other? I’ve read some instances that when using the MOVE function to do this, that MSFS will update packages every time it starts. I would love any advice and/or to hear which method you used and how it went.
My only concern is what I mentioned in my o/p, that I’ve read that some users have had MSFS update packages every time they fire it up. Have you actually moved MSFS this way? If so, good results and no issues?
There’s a third way if your internet connection is decently fast…just do an uninstall and then do a reinstall to the new SSD. That’s what I did. What sucks is the time it can take.
Make a backup of your Activities/Missions folder. That’s where any Bush trips you flew will be. You absolutely want to make a copy of that folder. Otherwise, there’s a good chance they’ll get tossed during the re-install.
Once done re-installing, copy the Activities/Missions folder back where it belongs. FS 2020 doesn’t create the folder until you fly at least one Bush mission, so if you copy your backup missions folder to the same location within the FS 2020 install, you should be good to go.
When you’re done, open FS 2020 and check your logbook and Bush flights (if you’ve ever done any). If the hours and Bush trips are wonky, do this:
Shut down FS 2020
Open the “Task manager”
Open the “Services” tab
Find the “GamingServices” app and restart it.
Restart FS 2020 and everything should re-sync and your logbook should be correct.
This has been my “go-to” for at least a half dozen re-installs.
Thanks for all the advice, I’ve learned a lot. Turns out I wont have to move MSFS,at least not for awhile. I discovered it was my linked add-on folder that took up most of the space. Just moved that over to the new drive and re-linked, and was able to install the last 2 World Updates. All is well.