MSFS keeps hiding my mouse pointer

Is the issue resolved if you disconnect your trackball and use other mouse?

This seems to be more of a hardware(driver) issue together with how Windows activates the trackball.

Can you test the following settings to see if it makes any difference?

• For the AAU_02 update, we made a change to allow control of the cursor with all joysticks, and not only with gamepad. This change had the unintended consequence of causing the central white dot to display when moving the camera or when using a joystick/mouse at the same time. To address the issue, we’ve added 2 new options to allow players to customize the cursor behavior:
    • You can access these new options from Options > General Options > Accessibility.
    • SHOW THE WHITEDOT CURSOR IN FREELOOK (Default = ON) : Display or hide the central white dot cursor when the camera moves.
    • ALLOW 2D CURSOR ON ALL PERIPHERALS (Default = OFF) : ON will allow to display the 2D gamepad cursor when using other types of peripherals : joysticks, yokes, etc. When set to OFF, this will be the same behavior as before AAU_02.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I drove the round trip from New Jersey to Texas for the eclipse Saturday and got back late last night.

I tried as plain vanilla of a mouse as I could find (an Intellimouse 1.1A, made by Microsoft a few decades ago) and I still had the same problem.

Any clues?

Same issue if you run msfs windowed or full screen mode?

Yep, same problem. No difference.

Try https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/mouse-clicks-not-recognized-after-some-time/407119/9

I have implemented "the fix’ described above, with some success. But I still have the problem.

If I don’t lose the cursor beforehand – and since I’ve applied “the fix”, I have not, ever, even during 3+ hour flights – I always (and I mean, always) lose it during the rollout after landing. I know it’s still present just before the landing, because I apply the last of the flaps as I commit to descending the last few hundred feet to the runway, and they always work. But when I try to retract them after I roll out and turn off the runway, the cursor is gone, and inputs from my controllers and the keyboard are ineffective (because the Windows focus is no longer on the FS window).

So near, yet still so far.

No ideas at all? Come on now. I’ve been flying various versions of FS since 1990, and would rather not have to quit and pronounce the sim utterly useless because “My cursor doesn’t work, wah wah.” Anybody?

And I was looking forward to FS2024, too.

A thought…check the windows mouse settings?
Maybe an autohide or visability setting(s)
Try using a a different cursor/point style.
Bing Search

See above. While I usually use a Kensington Orbit trackball (at the suggestion of my orthopedic surgeon after my carpal tunnel repair surgery), I’ve tried as plain-vanilla a mouse as I could find, with no change in the behavior.

I’m not sure where to find the mouse autohide or visibility settings. I’ve never needed them before so I don’t know where they are.

Anything else I should try?

Just type mouse into search on task bar
then select Mouse Settings.
Select Windows default for pointer
Then look under Additional Mouse Settings.

Found this, it’s for xbox, but there may be a idea in here.
Have a read through it.

Losing mouse control on Xbox Series S/X

I didn’t find any helpful solutions, unfortunately, but I am encouraged to know that I am not the only person out there with this problem. Far from it.

I agree with one of the people posting over there – for MS and Asobo to allow something like basic mouse control to continue to be an issue YEARS after release of a major product is simply astonishing.

Do you have other USB devices that could generate a conflict ?, if you can try by disconnecting the unnecessary devices ?
Also your title should mention that it is not reappearing, like “Cursor disappearing but not reappearing”, since it is the normal behaviour that the cursor disappear after few seconds.

That was the first thing I tried. No success.

I also tried moving things around to different USB ports. Nope.

1 Like

Yes, I know it will disappear after a few seconds, but mouse movement should make it reappear immediately. When I say it is not reappearing, I mean it is GONE. The FS window acts like the cursor is on another window, even when it’s the only window open or running full screen (yes, I’ve tried both).

When I move the cursor so that it is no longer in the sim, it’s fine. I can run other things on my second monitor screen without any problem, or even things that were under my FS screen or minimized. Only FS treats my mouse like it is no longer there. This is what leads me to believe it is an FS problem, not a general Windows problem.

I’ve neglected to mention so far that I have this problem only in MSFS, and not in any other complex sims, for example, DCS World.

Yes, I understand your issue and that’s why I was suggesting to add “not reappearing” to the title so that all understand directly that the issue is not that it disappears but it does not reappear.
If this is an issue with the sim, it is weird that no more people have reported it.

You’re right. Thanks.

Got it changed.

1 Like

Check that post, looks like a similar issue with a solution:

Also that post:

Check that post, looks like a similar issue with a solution:

I have done the switch from Locked to Legacy, and both the Show White Dot and Allow 2D Cursor were ON but are now OFF. I will run a test flight first chance I get tomorrow and will report back with the results.

1 Like