My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

Iā€™m using the latest preview of OpenXR and set motion reprojection to always on, but my fps is not limited to 30, am I doing something wrong? Do we have to run the headset at 60hz at WMR?

Taa 100 and 100 in the index menu. 78 in Index settings looks terrible sorry.

I am running the latest Nvidia drivers for cyberpunk mainly. I really donā€™t want to go back. Is this really a benefit?

For the MS Store version of the game I guess the disable Desktop Game Theater setting doesnā€™t really apply? And there is no way to set a per-game super sampling setting either right? Just have to change global settings.

Thanks for the great post and all of the information!!!

The stuttering issue from more recent versions of the Nvidia drivers can be corrected by uninstalling the Nvidia FrameView SDK (used for monitoring)

This eliminated the VR Stutter in the newer drivers for me, anyway.

Hope it helps.

3 Likes

Finally got it runningā€¦ Luke warmā€¦ Its not great, its not perfectā€¦ But Iā€™m holding about 30-40 FPS in NYC nowā€¦

Lots of tweaks and lots of trying different thingsā€¦ This is the thread I studiedā€¦ So thank youā€¦ But still the VR in this game is pretty terrible.

Tell you how terrible this VR isā€¦ you have a 2070 and a lot less CPU than meā€¦ And I still have to run at your settingsā€¦ VR has brought out what we already knowā€¦ MSFS is terribly optimizedā€¦ Like worst on the planet worse of worseā€¦ DCS worse!!!

I have a GTX3800ā€¦ And canā€™t get setting any higher than the guy with 2700ā€¦ LOLā€¦

At Minimal you would think I would be pushing better FPS than youā€¦ But it doesnā€™t seem that way!! Again LOL.

1 Like

You guys are playing with reprojection?

You canā€™t even turn the resolution up with your rtx 3080?

Thank you so much for this great guide. Used it to set up my system (comparable to yours) after the ā€˜first stutter sessionā€™ on my initial VR flight in MSFS 2020. Much better performance now, much appreciated help! Thanks.

2 Likes

@DehLive Are you using SteamVR OpenXR with a SteamVR headset like the Index? If so, the OXR Dev Tools for WMR are of no use at all. Otherwise if youā€™re using a WMR Headset you can configure it to use the WMR OpenXR driver (and then benefit from the OXR Dev Tools), or to use the SteamVR OpenXR driver which will then work with the WMR headset via the ā€œWMR for SteamVRā€ Steam App.

In any case I never use motion smoothing with flight simulators because I canā€™t stand the wobbling effect and deformations on the geometry. I can support juddering which is barely noticeable at all when looking forward and only visible when looking side ways at low altitude, or when moving your head in the cockpit.

NB: I find juddering less pronounced using the G2 with WMR OXR than with the Index with SteamVR OXR.

@Dawu777 Using TAA100+SS78 is giving the best EFIS legibility with similar fps than using a lower TAA but with worse view at a distance (which would then use the CAS Shader to enlarge the rendered image onto a larger view size). Iā€™d recommend more using TAA60+SS220 which gives great view at a distance with crisp enough EFIS. If youā€™re system is more powerful, you might want to raise to TAA70+SS200.

@tpg0007 I believe it shouldnā€™t concern the MS Store version but I donā€™t know and actually Iā€™ve never payed attention to this because I believe Iā€™ve turned this off globally (no need for me).

@MadxMikex1337 Thank you for your feedback about the driver. Iā€™ll have to give it a try then. Do you have a 20xx or 30xx?

@Malkuth1974 Thank you for your feedback as well! If youā€™re using a SteamVR headset (or using SteamVR) I believe they is a problem since 1.14.x, because the first time Iā€™ve tried FS2020 in VR during the beta it was better than now. I do hope theyā€™ll solve this and I do hope FS2020 is not using some specific OXR frame timing info/sync they can only get from the WMR OXR driver. In effect, Iā€™ve found a specific reference to ā€œFS2020ā€ in the WMR OXR Driver v104 which I donā€™t know yet whether it is a debug entry only or a specific optimizationā€¦

@ThinkingBog8 Thank you for your feedback too! Iā€™m glad this is helping others!

1 Like

I have a index and i9 10900 with 2080super and it runs butter smooth after the above changes.
Before it looked and went like a pig!

Thank you!

1 Like

Using your settings has been a dream, with one minor issue. Iā€™m no longer seeing Rain Effects on my windshield, even with Windshield Effects setting being on High or Ultra. Is there any other setting that may have affected this?

1 Like

@CypherPrime21 I thank you for your kind words! As for the rain, this is peculiar because HIGH was giving Rain Effect during the beta. I didnā€™t try yet with the official release though?!

Thanks for this now Iā€™ve done a few flights and did a circuit using your settings pretty smooth but looks ok not as nice as I need to upgrade my 2060 I think. Sitting on around 22fps with those settings on a Quest 2 using Oculus Link.

1 Like

@CptLucky8 Thank you so much for writing this up! I was tearing my hair out last night when I jumped into VR and got 1-5 fps. A good nightā€™s sleep and your excellent guide made my morning.

Core i7 10700, 32 GB RAM, 2070 Super, Vive Pro. Thanks to your guide I think Iā€™ve squeezed out all I could from the hardware, 90% TAA and 200% Steam SS seems to be working fine for me. Very useful write-up on the performance impact of various settings, saved me so much time tweaking all this by myself.

1 Like

I was playing all of yesterday with everything on max. Low FPS but the weather effects showed on my windshield. So I donā€™t think itā€™s an issue with the update. But I canā€™t begin to guess what other setting would change that.

I followed your explanations and indeed, everything looks better and smoother. Thanks a lot! The only problem I now have is that when I turn my head the image is distorted as if the image was moving with my head movement instead of staying static. This happens in the menu as well as in the cockpit. Any idea what went wrong? Sorry, complete noob here.

1 Like

I get that with OXR render resolution below 60%, mild at 60, very pronounced by the time I hit 50%.

1 Like

Any chance youā€™ll be posting your suggestions for the 2070S/ReverbG2 combo soon?

1 Like

Same situation here. I will try 60% and see what happens but 50% and it looks more like a stretching monitor.

Thanks! That was it.