New release: Golden Age Simulations Kinner B-2 Sportwing

Simmarket really is a piece of ■■■■. I knew I wasn’t going to get a refund but I wanted to ■■■■ around with them for a while because I’m a bad person. but they could care less if you get a refund or don’t. Sad

1 Like

Yeah, I hate the way SimMarket does business. I try not to buy from them unless I have to anymore. Orbx all the way or direct from developer.

2 Likes

Despite all else, the bird is fun to fly, especially now that it’s free (my favorite price!). I hope someone will knock out a few more liveries for it. Love the sound of that Kinner!

I really like this plane and would have actually paid for it.

Sure it will not appeal to the shiny cockpit “look at me I am awesome I fly study level airliners detailed right down to the light bulbs in the seatbelt light blowing” crowd but to be honest I find all that flying on AP IFR stuff excruciatingly boring anyway. If I was forced for some reason to fly airliners (must admit never loaded any of them in this sim even once) I think I would be setting the sim to max acceleration and going off to make coffee. Though if we ever got a Super Constellation I would line up to buy it.

I am probably in the minority but spend most of my time in game in the Wing42 Bleriot and Aerolite 103 and the freeware Grumman Goose and YMF-5, though I do like the Iris Jabiru and for something fast have the Mooney. For me this aircraft is spot on and a great addition to my collection.

7 Likes

I had not heard of this … I’m pretty much in line with everything @EdamllamaB said. I own three paying planes, and two of them are the Blériot XI and the Powersolo ultralight. :slight_smile: In 200+ hrs of flight I still haven’t found the time to even enter of cockpit of any Airbus or Boeing …
I recently learned to fly the the CJ4 (w/ Workingtitle mod), it was certainly very interesting, but … you’re flying the avionics, not really the plane.

So I did a quick flight (well that was the plan) to check the Sportwing and 30 mins later I was still grinning following the australian coast. Yes, the modelling & texturing is a bit dated but it’s a very fun plane. I already knew the 1930s were my favorite aviation time period, this one did not change my mind.

The Grumman Goose in alpha state is already great, I know Wing42 (of Blériot XI fame) is doing a Boeing 247, I will buy it day one.

More '30s ! How come we don’t have a DC-3 yet ? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Airplane Heaven is coming out with a DC-3 soon! It will be awesome.

Some of the textures (the mixture lever for example) are very good.

The leatherwork could be better but it is not awful.

The only actual truly poor textures are the square metal looking plates beneath your feet that are pixelated, but I do not fly looking at my feet so do not really care :smiley:

I actually like this plane, it has lots of funky features like opening doors and luggage storage and straps and tie down straps you can remove, it flies well and sounds fantastic. Clearly months of work went into this thing.

I think the lesson to be learnt here is a lot of people these days have their face stuck a few inches away from a massive 4K screen and are hence going to have issues with anything not super photorealistic regardless of how good the rest of the product is.

More precisely, the problem with textures is that they are not PBR. No NORM maps (so no small height imperfections in the leather, wood or metal, check the VL-3 seats), no COMP maps so metal can not be defined as such (see the canopy frame of the white livery, which looks like grey plastic), and you can not define a material as been more or less matte/shiny.

This limits how realist the textures can look, even before considering their resolution. Still, I did not call it awful. :slight_smile: I’m certainly having fun flying this one.

1 Like

I cannot get the rpm’s to go above 1500. Is this normal for this plane? I love the look but it barely takes off at 1500. All my other planes work perfectly. I messed with he mixture and fuel tanks but no joy.
Is this how it’s supposed to be? Is there a way to increase the rpm’s in a config file?
The old pocket watch is a funny touch.

IIRC I saw 1750-1800 rpm at take-off, which I lowered a bit to 1700-1750 rpm for cruise as per the manual.
Edit : I gave it another try, it’s more like 1600 rpm at take-off then 1750 off the ground. So it need s a bit of speed to reach full rpm.

Where is the manual? Ok found the Kinner+b2 ref file. Going over it now.
Geez, it says 1500 RPM. Sure seems low. I’ll try it again .

Take off run can be longish, not as long as the Bleriot.
Helps to be taking off into a slight breeze, but it is a delight to fly & does wonders with a 1 cylinder engine.
TG

I think it’s great that you like it, but you can probably express that without resorting to repeatedly insulting those who don’t or who have different preferences, priorities, and expectations for payware. it’s not a good look.

It’s a 5 cylinder Kinner radial.

Really?
Mine must have lost 4 cylinders :grinning:
Probably mixing it up with a motorcycle.
TG

One of the descriptions calls it a “single cylinder piston” or some such nonsense when they mean “Piston single engine .”

1 Like

Ah!
I should have taken a closer look at the engine. :smiley:
TG

This is the real life Sportswing (note NOT the MSFS model this is the real one) it seems to be based on:

that is the airplane used as the basis and inspiration for the GAS model -
Someone who decided it wasn’t worthy of MSFS said something to the effect: “Why?? Who asked for this?”
The simple answer is that it is an historically significant aeroplane. Another answer that the developer gave is that this was the first aircraft modeled by GAS over 15 years ago for FS2004 in an effort to promote aircraft of the Golden Age of Aviation - so they wanted to do the same for MSFS and possibly inspire interest in the most important era of man’s evolution in powered flight.
The effort was solid. The work was serious and time was taken to get the FDE right, even within the quirky confines of the MSFS global flight model.
The model was inexpensive but even at that it was too much for some self-anointed crossing guards and chest thumpers here and GAS were called ‘thieves’ for the asking price of such an ‘ugly’ airplane.
Is there room for improvement to the 3D model? yes of course - always.
Could suggestions toward that end have been made more politely? you bet yer ■■■.
Now it is free.
Enjoy it or not. It is a rare and historically significant airplane from the Golden Age of Flight

You can take your jabs somewhere else. It was my opinion and I expressed it. As a result of this mess, and because others expressed their displeasure with the visual quality of the aircraft, as well as the way the aircraft was rolled out (with it originally being free for some, then the sudden price drop the next day after people have just purchased), it was made free. The developer has agreed it was a mess of a rollout. I have since had a very cordial exchange with the developer of this aircraft and we are all good. Why you felt the need to take one thing I said out of context is beyond me. Move along.

2 Likes