NEXRAD display shows METAR bubble around airports

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

While in-flight, when using the NEXRAD overlay on the MFD (G1000 NXi, G3000/5000), the readout will show a METAR Bubble around selected airports nearby. It’s a circle of precipitation perfectly centered around the airport. This first occurred in SU11, and now reproduced again in SU12.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

Please see MFD, you can see the location and the airport nearby.

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

March 21st, 2023 1404H ET using Live Weather (see screenshot which captured date/time)

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Launch using Live Weather, find airports that are reporting precipitation in their METAR reports, fly towards them. Using NEXRAD, view precipitation conditions at the airport - you will see circles corresponding to METAR effect perfectly centered around the airport.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

N/A

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU11 and now SU12

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Meteorological consistency fail. Seen it lots and it means departures/arrivals often have different weather than the rest of the flight.

I wish Asobo would sort it out

1 Like

Won’t be fixed until METARS are removed from the system. Unfortunately the community voted for having METARS used for weather instead of only MeteoBlue and so this is the result.

14 Likes

A better blending and transition of the bubbles would do. Randomizing the shape for example would give a better “feel” for the user.

I really hat the round patches of fog when cruizing above europe :joy:

1 Like

Actually i think it’s Meteoblue that sends the data in a circle. It’s postprocessed on their side. Asobo needs to contact Meteoblue to improve the METAR data they inject into their model.

Maybe i’m wrong though.

Hope those bubbles gets improved in the future.

1 Like

Agree, i warned peoples when they voted for METAR based weather instead of dynamic meteoblue. The blending should be improved, these METAR bubbles are clearly visible in the sim and kind of immersion breaking.

7 Likes

If METAR is reporting rain and MB not, having those bubbles is the expected result when mixing 2 different sources (MB+METAR) for the weather. NEXRAD is showing the correct information then. Unless removing METAR source, I don’t see how to remove those bubbles in case MB and METAR have different data. It is not realistic but it is one of the consequence of the METAR introduction.

1 Like

@Perrry

Meteoblue is not sending bubbles. They send metar reports and those metars are active and graphically presented in a radius around the airport.

So if only Rotterdam airport is reporting fog and no other airports around it … you will see a “bubble” of fog around the airport in a circle ( radius where the metar settings are valid)

1 Like

Well, i think nobody can be 100% sure how it works if we are not in the development team. Well, hope they can make it feel natural or change back to the system without METAR or make it possible to turn off the METAR injection. For me those bubbles and switches to stay in line with METAR reports makes the weather feel much less like weather. But maybe for most of the users it’s not important to feel realistic as long as it’s accurate. I don’t really know.

If thats not possible i hope Asobo can focus on the METAR weather and make it feel seamless together with MB weather that all of the weather is one global thing.

As it is now it feels like we are flying in several different atmospheres 1 global together with 1 above every single METAR airport that needs to be fixed.

I very distinctly remember watching a dev q/a that was aired in the build up to the new weather system and Seb said, and I quote, “we will not have those Metar bubbles”.

In the highly unlikely event you are reading this Seb and you actually care, would you like to comment?

4 Likes

I don’t recall being asked to vote on a new Metar based system. Could you provide a link to that thread please?

1 Like

Yes, thats what i remember also and the METAR weather were injected into the MB model and then sent to MS weather servers.

1 Like

It was a wish list item that a handful of people participated in and we all now have this messed up weather pumped into the game because a few people didn’t understand how weather and ASOS really worked. They were primarily VATSIM gamers and people who looked out their window and did not like the fact that the game did not 100% match the METAR at their local airport. Rather than try to understand what was going on inside of the game then threw a hissy fit. So Asobo gave them exactly what they asked for.

As a real-world professional pilot, I have often encountered weather at an airport that was different from the ATIS I just received. ATIS and METARs are just a snapshot in time. Many companies that inject weather into flight simulation games have had to struggle with trying to use METARs to create the weather world. As much as I despise metroblue as a company, I have to admit that their original product was more organic and real to life. I felt like I was actually flying through massive weather systems as opposed to multiple regional snapshots. That was until the vocal minority who runs this forum ruined it.

13 Likes

Spot on. You can create a METAR from a weather snapshot but you can’t recreate weather from a METAR. All you can do is replicate a number of factors that may or may not result in the weather you see at an airport. This vote ruined a great weather system before it could mature and now we’re stuck with something very similar to Active Sky before with some good weather in between.

10 Likes

I create in the past a topic to vote METAR out or at least to have a toggle to allow us to use only meteoblue as an option to make everyone happy. I someone would like to open a similar post, or resume the old one and pass it around users explaining in great details the reasons behind it, I would vote for it a 1000 times…let’s vote this METAR out? or have the toggle? do something about this dire situation :frowning: I hope the developer are reading all this discontent…

4 Likes

There is already an existing request for that: Live Weather - Toggle options (enable/disable) for METAR based weather injections

5 Likes

They don’t want to remove it because it works for VATSIM. You will have to fight uphill on this issue.

1 Like

are these people on VATSIM more important than anyonelse?

Of course :blush:

1 Like

Because they link voting items to their forums and get their Army of followers to vote, yes. Unless you can get 1000 people to magically find your voting item and get them to vote it is not going to happen. There are too many items hidden in the wish lists.

2 Likes