Next world update confirmed - CANADA!

I’m starting to understand (guess) that world updates (which are really country updates) are including some updated map info, likely around cities and POIs, as well as more detailed elevation info for flight planning accuracy. So it will be interesting to see if your CYGK area gets updated.

I’m not Canadian but their French Vanilla coffee is heaven in a glass.

1 Like

Anybody knows if they will touch airports like Toronto (CYYZ) and Montreal (CYUL)?

I would be surprised if they touch CYYZ since it has 2 commercial products covering it already (FlyTampa and the badly broken RegDesign). There’s no payware CYUL available yet outside of a freeware FSX port that’s not terrible, but also not great and rather old. So perhaps we could see that one.

Hope they update the Bing data for Downtown Calgary, Alberta because it’s dog doo doo.

My 2 cents,
Sorry for the smell,
Cheers,
PACO5782

Coastlines are horrible around England though! they spoil any coastal flying for me which is a fair bit with it being an island :joy:

You may want to take a chance on the following pay-ware scenery. I have no idea if its any good or not so its your risk, there are no reviews I could find on it. But it says it improves the coastline mesh so it may be worth a try.

1 Like

May try it thanks :+1:

1 Like

If you do, let me know what you think. I found this but I just cant tell if its the same add-on or not. I have wasted money on a few add-ons recently that puts me off taking a punt on something I wont see that often since I am flying to Australia at the moment on a year long tour of the planet.

I’ll definitely try for the price! Getting it now won’t have chance to try it till tomorrow though. I tried their uk trees but it’s a bit stuttery at low level which is a shame because it brings I’t closer to reality. Hope it will get updated.

1 Like

I have not seen their trees. I will have to have a look.

1 Like

Trees looks good but sadly it kills the urban trees so some work needed on that I think. It shows a lot of promise though as far as improving realism goes.

1 Like

Hi replied in that separate post about the Coastlines :+1:

How do you mean? Other than missing the new Central Library, the photogrammetry of downtown Calgary looks pretty decent to me.

5 Likes

Notice you have a small, why I assume is a frame rate counter top right. Can you tell me where you got that please?

If you’re on PC and have an nvidia GPU, it’s built into the GeForce Experience app.

2 Likes

Ok thanks.

1 Like

I don’t understand something about the basic simulator in regards to world updates, maybe the forum can help explain.

The simulator is based in a virtual “earth”, I assume:

• It starts as a sphere at sea level
  • Elevation data creates land that rises above sea level at a certain resolution
  • 2D Bing Map images get overlaid as a start of the visual
  • Blackshark AI (or whomever’s) work makes it 3D, vegetation and structures.
  • Photogrammetry (actual photography from planes) gets layered over to increase visual accuracy

And then World Updates are, I assume:

• updated elevation data (presumably higher resolution)
  • updated, or cleaned up 2D Bing map satellite imagery?
  • updated, or cleaned up photogrammetry for specific places?
  • added info on points of interest

My question is, why aren’t the world updates (higher-quality data and imagery) just replacing the default data of the base “earth” in the sim constantly? In other words, If I install MSFS new today, why doesn’t the base “earth” include all the better data of the 10 world updates? Why are World Updates kept as separate things? Isn’t the goal to have a constantly improving virtual globe to fly (and truck, and train) around? Shouldn’t all WUs just be integrated?

I would have thought that just having 1 master virtual earth, constantly getting better resolution and updated data (because nothing on earth is static), was the goal. I don’t get the thought process of keeping the “world updates” separate, other than as a marketing announcement. But from a software standpoint, shouldn’t they just be constant, automatic updates to the core ‘earth’ in the simulator?

World Updates also include dozens of hand-crafted POIs and usually a handful of new bespoke airports too. They’re not just elevation/map updates.

Thanks - but my question is, why aren’t such improvements integrated with the base “earth” of the sim? Why are the updates kept separate - maybe I’m not articulating my question well…

Right now it seems like the base sim is Windows XP, and you have to install that first and then update to Windows 11 (using a simple analogy)