[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-in Event: IFR Flight Seattle to Alaska

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to those who would like to fly along with us and available for all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends.

Hosted by @Jummivana, @simtom2, and @Pieter1982NL.

When: Friday, 2000Z, for two hours.
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event.

FLIGHT DETAILS

For the next flight we will try a IFR flight!

Details: From Seattle (KSEA) to Wrangell (PAWG) via the J523/502 airways. The approach into PAWG RWY 10 is an RNAV approach available here and is already incorporated in the flight plan albeit without altitude restrictions.

We’ll be flying along the east coast with a nice view over the mountains from British Columbia before turning to the RNAV approach between the mountains.

AIRCRAFT

Tom will be using the Working Title CJ4, and Pieter will be flying the A320 FBW mod. This is a 710 NM route. Please pick an appropriate IFR aircraft to make this route around/under 2 hours.

We will be starting at KSEA. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the taxiway or parking.

WEATHER

We will be using either Few Clouds or clear skies.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server North Europe
Multiplayer All
Live traffic As desired
Weather Few Clouds

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

FLIGHT PLAN

A .PLN file is provided here: IFR_Seattle-Tacoma_Intl_KSEA_to_Wrangell_PAWG.pln (7.2 KB)

To use the flight plan, follow these steps:

1. Download the flight plan to a easy-to-remember location
  2. Open MSFS
  3. Go to the globe
  4. Click “Load/Save” on the bottom of your screen
  5. Click “Load”
  6. Navigate to the downloaded flight plan
  7. Click load.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

13 Likes

Yay! See you tomorrow.

3 Likes

See you there!

2 Likes

Which plane will you be using? I would like to pick a plane that has a similar ground speed. Thanks :smiley:

As stated in the post the hosts will use the CJ4 and the A320.
If you’re unsure what to chose: You can chose any of the jet-powered airplanes (Citation, 747, 787, 320)

Keep in mind the runway is only 6000’. Min rwy length for the A320 is 5800’. Not alot of room to play with for any larger aircraft.

I’ll be there! :partying_face:

Is there an assigned Runway or SID?

@Jummivana, now you’ve gone and done it, and I’m gonna have to learn how to fly that badboy again in about 6 hours!

KSEA is a big place, can you be a bit more specific here?

Isn’t that the default? I didn’t even know that turning them on was even hypothetically possible…

Please pardon me if this is a dumb question, but I’m a relative noob to Discord. I logged into the server, but I see a ton of chat channels, which one will we be using?

Overall, I’ve got the WT CJ4, I downloaded the flight plan, I logged into the Discord server pending my question above, and I’m looking forward to a fun flight! It will be my first ever group multiplayer session though, so if I don’t show up for some reason, please don’t hold that against me! Should that happen, I guess I’ll just follow along on Twitch…

I think that’s all the questions I have, but I reserve the right to change my mind… :wink:

1 Like

First full flight with my new Flap Modster. Cant wait.

@Jummivana , Looking forward to joining one of these for the first time. I agree with @KevyKevTPA comment on start location at KSEA. Perhaps suggest use taxiway “B” starting at the hold short line for runway 16L. If taxiway Bravo fills up, you can start an alternate line at the north end of taxiway “A”.

1 Like

I don’t get the “Officiak Twitch Channel”… seems just a bunch of unrelated video chats?

1 Like

I like that idea, although since we can’t hit each other, it may be smart to try to pretty much all take off at the same time and spread out a bit in the air. Otherwise, depending on how many people show up, and what they’re flying, and how, the last guy to take off could be 30 minutes behind the first guy.

As for me, I’m a bit behind, and I need to get my Honeycomb Bravo set up for a twin jet, and figure out at least enough about flying the WT CJ4 at least enough to be dangerous, so who knows if I’m gonna make it. But as soon as I’m done with this message, I’m gonna start working on the Bravo setup…

Oh, do you think they put in the circled part specifically for Harrison Ford?

Here’s the flight plan for Simbrief for anyone using it to load the FMS:
BANGR9 ARRIE J523 YZT J502 DOOZI HALKU ZATSU WIDEB VEZHU FOBAV HITLI

…and here it is for Navigraph (w/RWY10 approach). It works well for using the live NG map. I flew this plan last night.

KSEA DCT ARRIE J523 YZT J502 DOOZI DCT HALKU DCT ZATSU DCT WIDEB DCT VEZHU DCT FOBAV DCT HITLI DCT PAWG/10

I am still baffled by thius plan…flying a A320N at low altitude from Seattle to Wrangell seems weird to me… also no info about whay runway to use for departure… and the Discord channel does not allow speaking…
HELP ANYONE !!!

One more…here’s the flight plan in Little Navmap format, with RNAV 10 approach (HALKU transition):

KSEA-Seattle-Tacoma Intl-to-PAWG-Wrangell-IFR.lnmpln (3.6 KB)

The flight plan states FL380. I flew this plan at that flight level in the Longitude last night and all went well.

This is what I got in Navigraph:

KSEA/16L BANGR9 ARRIE J523 YZT J502 DOOZI PAWG/HALKU.R10