Official Discussion: September 2nd, 2021 Development Update

You are absolutely right. In my case it does not hit Microsobo directly though. I simply refrain from buying any addons as I have to fear them to be broken with the next update which I know nothing about. This harms 3rd Party Devs. So a sad state of affairs and I think that the “everyone else also does not provide information beforehand” is an easy copout. I am sorry @CasualClick. This falls flat on its face here. If in other sims something brakes my hardware interface or my addons I can opt to not install it. Here I am just at the mercy of a company and have to take what I get. And I guess it is not only me. I for one do not fly tubeliners, others are not happy with it. I’d just like to complete a flight without a CTD, which I have been unable since SU 5 and its hotfixes. I understand it is a complex problem, but right now it feels handled in the worst way possible.
When you are so codependent on other/ third parties with your product to be successful then Microsobo may need more transparency. Not telling 3rd parties about SDK changes until 5 days before release is just really bad practise and leaving homepitbuilders who invest in their hobby with quite a lot of money hanging as well as the normal user. And it can not be in Microsobos interest that a part of the community is not using their product because they break it regularly and leave you guessing if or if not they may fix it in a timely manner.

3 Likes

I don’t believe anything fails flat at all here, and we can’t compare in my opinion what you can do in (other) simulators and “a practice of a lot of software developers in the entertainment market”. I don’t think @CasualClick was talking about MSFT Flight Simulator here, nor was he trying to justify any lack of communication around this game?!

Man all I want is my Mooney back. Can’t do ILSs as the OBS is tied to the COM2/NAV2 stack which is inop, not to mention the fuel selector. Been waiting over a month now

1 Like

Not much you can do about that except to complain. You did a pretty good job with that. I would rather be flying. I’m out.

Yes … the answers to these questions in the developer diary would be very helpful. I would like to understand in advance how the new settings will work, and not do a lot of experiments on the day WU6 is released. Anyway, it would be real development information. What the screenshots say about the development - I don’t understand.

2 Likes

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/autogen-airports-too-dark-aircraft-lights-do-not-illuminate-surroundings/248142/432?u=rp198419

Could not agree with you more.

Aviation is secondary in this ‘flight’ simulator

3 Likes

Great post :slightly_smiling_face:

You have made a lot of valid points and I agree with everything you have said.

1 Like

Do you want your “money” back or your “Mooney” back?!

I was addressing the user feedback about detailed change notes. The practices vary by company, but at the end of the day, most of them generate a detailed list including MS-Asobo. The point being is that the timing of that note release really doesn’t change the outcome. What’s getting fixed is what’s been delivered. Knowing that in advance as an end-user really isn’t going to change the outcome for the user experience. The end user views the list and makes a decision about whether it’s going to make a positive or negative effect on future product use, and takes action accordingly. Knowing that seven,fourteen days in advance when the deliverables are fixed in place really doesn’t change outcomes.

2 Likes

Could be I was mistaken. English is not my first language and it read different to me. I really want to see this sim succeed. Right now it does not feel like it is on the right track yet and seems to be falling apart more than it makes headway. Issues since the alpha unresolved, no more update plans since two weeks and steadily introducing new breaking bugs. It is a bit hard to swallow after a year. And the CTD’s and ATC inabilities are more than a nuisance, they are a dealbraker. At least for me. As is the sudden change in the control scheme and variable adressing that left a good part of my homepit unusable. Very, very annoying.

2 Likes

Totally agree with you :slightly_smiling_face:.

Surely the whole point of having a forum is to express views even if these views are not always in favour of the product being discussed.

3 Likes

how do i get my account unlocked? thanks

@Tosco1992

Please don’t post here. Read about Trust Levels and how to advance. If you’re still having problems posting, please send a Private Message to @moderators - Thanks.

Speaking for myself, I enjoy a civil, truthful, and honest debate concerning the strengths and weaknesses of MSFS. I know for sure there are many more weaknesses than strengths when seen in the light of the Feature Presentations.

I have not seen anybody here, expecting impossible miracles, or things that have not already been done before. I have seen expectations of reasonable progress, but there are direct proofs of a gigantic and intentional lack of progress here, like this topic about a “development” blog. This is why the comments seem negative, but the negative you speak of, is actually and technically much more positive than you realize. Its actually a care and concern for the MSFS team and MSFS product. Again speaking for myself, I’m here, telling from my perspective, what is good and bad about this project. I would not be here if I did not care deeply about the MSFS team and the MSFS product.

Reasonable expectations are not going to just go away. One may as well try to understand the good intentions by the seemingly negative/angry comments…I think I can speak for most, that the negative/angry comments come from frustration, but also care and concern. We want to fly realistically in MSFS.

These are comments for now, and if there is a need for the comments to become more “negative and angry”, they most certainly will. If the present course continues for too long, MSFS will be ignored by flight simmers and no more comments or care will exist.

Negativity and anger exist for a good reason. If exhibited with good intent, it really is a wonderful thing. It is very important to realize that this is most likely 100% good intentions in this flight sim forum. There may be a couple people here that hate flight sims for whatever reason, but they would easily be able to be identified.

So the question we all must ask ourselves, do we call for and insist upon reasonable progress, or do we let MSFS get canceled/closed. No feature, 3rd party, or person will be able to help a stagnant MSFS centered around the obsession with screenshots.

6 Likes

We must ? why ? There have been relevant improvements too.

Your sim-is-a-mess opinion is loud and clear… lots agree with it, especially the former FSX and XPlane communities… but there is no reason to assume that the MSFS world will collapse, if experienced PC-simmer folks like you don’t agree with recent developments. Lots of them will stay, put wishes and give tips (like you don’t)

You are one of a few million customers, like we all are.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion about MSFS, whether that opinion results in negativity or enthousiasm.

Whatever intentions you’d like to frame MS/Asobo, I think these folks have heart for their product as well. Your opinion is a customer opinion just like anyone else’s. So stop preaching like this and impose opinions on others.

6 Likes

You are quite right. The game wants to cater to a lot of worlds/ use cases. What is baseline (like controls) to me may be totally irrelevant for someone using mouse/autopilot or a gamecontroller.
I’d still think more information would be nice. Even more so a non mandatory update. I understand that will not happen. So there is hoping someday we will have a way less volatile sim. At the moment there is more time spent tinkering with the sim than actual flying.
The game was advertised with the simmers AND the gamer in mind. It looks great, but I still think some of the critizism leveled at asobo is justified. I mean, how does something like SU5 make it out into the world and why on earth do they not talk about it and just pretend it did not happen. Both worlds need to be catered too without sacrificing too much. And especially the sim aspect has had a tough year.

2 Likes

It’s about managing expectations. I’ve literally stopped flying the C172 because of regressions to the trim. If I know they are being looked into then I’ll look forward to flying again. If I do not know anything then I’m (right now) watching reviews for other games like Elite: Dangerous, deciding where to spend my gaming time.

Do you know what I mean? Forward notice means a lot more than I think you meant when you wrote the above.

(I’ll add that I’m here still because I have REALLY enjoyed the sim and I’ve spent over £200 on it - some of which is depressingly non-functional right now with no communicated end in sight)

8 Likes

Respectfully, I’ve flown a 4,300 NM eleven hop IFR trip from Kansas to Norway in a C172 since SU5 came out. The radar alt issue I worked around. The trim I worked around, now having a relatively brand new dedicated Trim wheel. I even worked around the G1000 madness between 0.4.0, 0.4.1 and NXi.

It’s all about how you decide to use the sim. My time is very limited - I will fly the segment and work my way around what I find because I have no other hours or opportunity to do so. I had full PG and Bing Maps streaming the whole time. I had very accurate Live Weather working the entire time. Online traffic was active and showing real-world flights passing around me. I knew what was broken, but I still flew. And it gave me satisfaction.

And the release notes? I noted them and hit the Fly button.

4 Likes

The mind boggles. If that’s the attitude of mods then I’ll gladly take a refund for the Orbx London add-on (workaround = uninstall it) and the Mooney (workaround = don’t use it), etc.

How about listening to the community?

6 Likes

Why? Am I not allowed to represent myself as an end-user?

I’ll remind everyone Moderators are Volunteer Staff. We are not paid, we are not compensated. We do everything we do on a voluntary basis. And we are end-users, just like you. We are NOT MS-Asobo employees. We have no influence on how this sim is developed or evolved.

I’m listening. But my primary job is to enforce and facilitate the safe, respectful and relevant conversations about MSFS under the auspices of the Code of Conduct.

How you decide to express your opinion is your business. I’m not here to be supportive or a denier of your opinion, I have my own. As long as we both operate under the Code appropriately, that’s the general way things go.

8 Likes