[Official Discussion] Top Gun: Maverick DLC

A bit of a missed opportunity here: 1) they could have added an official Maverick Livery to the Asobo Mustang, 2) Asobo calls their Hornet an F/A-18E/F……… where is the “F” that was in the movie? If you aren’t going to release an “F” in all that extra postponement time, just call it an F/A-18E.

Overall free content (especially military related) is great, and I can’t wait to install this as soon as I get home from work. Hopefully there’s more to it than what was in there release notes.

3 Likes

From what I have heard, that is not currently possible on the Sim. I have aircraft carriers from four different 3rd party developers and they are all stationary.

Some do have animations like a spinning radars, and one has crew, but that is about it.

They are all always at the same static location. There are some limitation withing the sim which makes all carriers be at the same location.

I don’t know why that is not possible and if it will change in the future.

I like the camera in the new plane, I think that’s the first time I have seen something like that implemented in MSFS, hope to see it in other planes as well that have it of course.

If anyone can figure out how to make use of this then it’ll be Mr. Cloud.

Just had a go.

It’s slightly hard to tell whether it is moving. I presume it is. You also can’t change the weather, pause it or use any other type of camera to look at it so you’re restricted to a brief ■■■■■■ view then it’s back to the menu.

Opening it up in a project and look at the carrier simobject, it doesn’t have a solid surface as a model, otherwise the camera would bounce off it.

I guess that must mean the F/A-18 is somehow programmed to make it solid? Or something in the challenge.

I will guess this means more usable moving carriers are a no go as things stand.

In fairness, this was originally announced for last fall and got delayed with the movie. You may not have been aware of it, but it’s been a topic of discussion for the past 6+ months since it was originally announced.

Unrealistic expectations. When it was first announced, I expected a couple of planes and a carrier landing challenge, and nothing else. And I’ve been telling folks to manage their expectations or they’d be sorely disappointed. Looks like this is the case I’m seeing here now and on several FB groups.

2 Likes

Well it ain’t possible for third parties yeah, but Asobo ain’t third party. They could’ve coded it into the sim. FSX had movable carriers ages ago after all. Don’t get me wrong I do appreciate the free stuff, I’m just very mildly disappointed that I can’t land a cub-like on a moving carrier lol. Checking out the hypersonic plane atm.

1 Like

I don’t see why? Other people have made carriers work in the sim. The only thing they can’t do is move. Only Asobo can make that happen. It’ll be a shame if for the lifetime of the sim thats never possible.

2 Likes

If ya want full on Carrier Ops in a sim and want to pay get DCS

11 Likes

Has anyone flown the Darkstar at Mach 10 yet?! I’m a little worried that plane will melt my graphics card! :slight_smile: :laughing:

I hope this doesn’t mean a re-introduction of “the blurries” … with scenery not being able to be redrawn fast enough and a low-res proxy slowing creeping in.

1 Like

I would tend to agree with your statement if we had a working MSFS on Xbox - but any add-ons are a waste of time for us just now when we are all struggling to get a normal flight in

2 Likes

To be fair, working elevators and carriers wasn’t too unrealistic, as the original teaser last year starts with a shot of 2 hornets on the elevator followed by a catapult launch. And there’s literally been commented code for the launch bar in the hornet files since November.

6 Likes

I’m not saying it’s not possible. I base my expectations on history of this sim. I’ve seen what we’ve received as official updates / content over the last 2 years. To expect any more than the very minimum in any MSFS update is basically setting expectations too high.

Am I missing something or due to licensing there is no Maverick helmet when flying the Top Gun F18.

Update - seems to show up only when using the Top Gun activities and not during normal gameplay.

1 Like

We have moving ships as traffic, so the models just need to allow the use of a hard deck (a plane for collisions), so that you can land on the decks or helipads. Currently ships only have the exterior model, like many buildings, because you can´t land on all buildings rooftops either. So if you disable collisions in game basically you can fly through anything except some buildings and the terrain/runways of course.

Cheers

1 Like

speed doesn’t melting gpu, only textures and buildings

I somehow found myself at about 2,000 feet doing Mach 4 and performance didn’t seem any worse than flying around at ~700 knots in the F-18. It does Mach 10 at like 120,000 feet so you won’t be rendering much up there anyways.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Kinda disappointed, was hoping for the carrier to available as a start location and destination from the world map, hope this gets added.

14 Likes

The thing is the carriers are moving in the landing challenge so clearly at some level in the coding its possible. They just need to implement it in the main sim.

1 Like

That would require more than minimal effort to implement. Refer to my previous post.

1 Like