Planes pull hard to the right on take off

It’s certainly not anything I am seeing, unless I have a strong wind from the right.

1 Like

I also have this issue, all aircraft yaw right on takeoff for me regardless of weather conditions. The rotational torque of the engine is spinning the propeller clockwise when viewed from the cockpit, this means that the equal and opposite force is also trying to rotate the airplane counterclockwise around the propeller. This loads up slightly more downward force and therefor more friction and drag on the left main, contributing to a LEFT yaw. In flight, this force causes the aircraft to try to slightly roll left. To counteract this you need to make slightly more lift on the left wing to counteract the rotational force. The additional lift required contributes to additional induced drag on the left side of the airplane, causing a left yaw tendency in flight also.

I have all in-game assistance turned off, and the “difficulty” turned all the way up and the only adverse yaw I ever see is the erroneous rightward yaw on takeoff. Under all flight conditions, maximum rate rolls, low speed high power high AoA, stalls, the airplane just remains coordinated without any rudder input on my part.

1 Like

Have you double checked calibration, all bindings on all controllers, and any 3rd party controller apps like SPAD next? If you have brake axes, make sure they’re operating in the correct polarity. You might also need to check null zones as a little noise can activate them.

I had a weird instance last night in which elevator and aileron axes were applied to my throttle controllers, which I’ve been using for years and had not changed.

I did a reinstall of My Thrust Master Rudder Pedals drivers yesterday and still got the same issue.

Can you try a take off without the rudder pedals installed, and no rudder assists either?

All assistance (besides Taxi and traffic pattern) are off. Everything is set to hard/real. I never changed the flight model. Never touched legacy.

I can try to take off without rudders, but my setup basically needs it.

Having The Honeycomb Yoke, i NEEDED a throttle quadrant and rudder set up.

Removing the rudder pedals would eliminate possible controller configuration issues, or erratic output from noisy pots.

1 Like

I’d extend this troubleshooting to all controllers. Remove them one at a time until the problem is isolated. If it’s not, then start down a different path.

1 Like

Check your rudder trim. Even if the aircraft doesn’t even have a rudder trim, some of them have it in the cfg files. trim in the sim works a little different to reality so it could be that accidentally trimmed right planes veer off quickly.

3 Likes

Any single engine jet aircraft, the simpler the better, might be a good shout as well. Something like the Vision Jet, or similar.

Another thing you can do is check the visual model to see if the rudder and/or nosewheel show any deflection

1 Like

This is a good tip. @charlie i have unplugged the rudders and will test now.

After that i will check rudder trim.

Update 1 : Disconnected the rudders. Loaded up at Lake Tahoe With 2Kt Wind. Tested both sides of the runway, and one went left, then turned right on full power. The other side of the runway, it just kept going left.

Update 2 : Loaded up at Flying Cloud. Tested both runways with 0Kts of wind. Both times the plane went left. Maybe A Multiplier for weathervane needs to be tweaked.

2Kts of wind is not too much on a plane to make it start turning right and over come the 4 tendencies, can it?

Will now test with rudder trim reset/corrected.

Curious to see @Thachus post here for the first time and he is also having the same issue. (Also, welcome to the fourms!)

2 Likes

Haha, welcome to MSFS, where the weathervaning is totally out of proportion! :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t mean to be glib, but this has been an issue since release and there are multiple threads about it.

That said, it’s gotten better with some ground friction adjustments, but those have only been applied to some aircraft. My theory is the tail surface area is overrepresented in the flight model for each aircraft. Plus the wheel contact areas are just points (instead of several square inches, which should also be variable dependent on tire pressure).

2kts, though… that shouldn’t cause too much of an effect. Maybe just enough to cancel out the left-turning tendencies. Hmm…

1 Like

Sure its not a bad crosswind?

Update 3: I have tested with rudders at lake tahoe, 0Kts wind. Plane pulls left.

Update 4: Testing At Flying Cloud with 2Kt Wind from from the North/ My Right, The plane PULLS RIGHT! What the heck? Im not sure why the plane is pulling right into the wind???

@ANCRM114 if you consider 0-2Kts a bad crosswind?

Update 5: The 172 will not let me use any rudder trim with the honeycomb yoke.

I don’t think the 172 has rudder trim.

For the right wind, what happens when the wind from the right hits your rudder, and tail? Which direction does the wind push the tail, and consequently which direction does the nose turn?

It does not i guess.

A quick goggle search brings up this topic on the first link.

I hope after AAU updates they actually fix their game.
Im sure FS24 is going to have the same if not more issues to fix. They might as well fix these now.

Rudders are dead center, and i only found the left peddle being a little to sensitive and the axis bar flickering. But Not the right…

Yeah, it sounds like it’s the weathervaning issue. It’s VERY overblown for tricycle/nosewheel-equipped aircraft.

IRL, weathervaning is way more of a problem for tailwheel aircraft as their ground pivot point is (relatively) much farther ahead of the center of gravity and you have a larger surface area behind it collecting all that wind - which pushes that area downwind and the nose of the plane pivots upwind (into the wind). The result is the tailwheel plane always wants to flip around backwards on the ground. It requires a constant dance on the rudder along with proper aileron and elevator deflection to keep it pointed down the runway.

3 Likes

The xcub patagonia bush trip really taught me about Aileron Deflection and elevator deflection on the second leg. Love that little plane; such a joy to fly in the sim.

Thank you everyone for your assistance, tips, and guidance.

Ive been practicing my take offs and power management settings/ landing configurations for hours and hours now in the sim, starting with the C152. After going back to the basics and learning this, i think i’ll take a break and jump into the CJ4 again until they clear this up.

Enjoy your flights everyone! And i encourage you to fly around Lake Tahoe, Its just a magical, beautiful place.

2 Likes

I’ve spent a lot of time up there and all over Northern California. It is indeed magical, stepping out of the car and being hit with the fresh smell of incense cedars and sugar pines. The air is usually clearer and cooler than the valley, but watch your density altitude!

I hit the area up often in my streams, as well.