Please don't stay parked in the middle of runways!

Likewise.
The online communities are like the real world. It just needs a few people to ruin it for you, if you let them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Couldn’t Asobo just make the default starting point on a ramp, rather than a runway, and give the option to still start with engines running?

That would provide something for peeps that don’t want to have to go through the full cold and dark routine and perhaps reduce the number of people spawning on a busy runway.

Of course, it wouldn’t prevent all, but it might help.

If course they could. There’s a wishlist thread you all can vote for which was linked in a post above already:

But the thread opener’s issue is different and won’t be solved by this improvement.

What we need is as per infinite flight on iOS and android. Different servers based on a grade that allows recreational flyers or people flying for fun in one place, and more serious players in another. At the end of the day you paid, so you can do what you want and stay on the runway for as long as you want, I have no problem with that, but perhaps two different servers would be good eventually to add some realism for those who want it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t want to make it impossible, as it is sometimes nice to get into a small GA aircraft, that needs hardly any pre-takeoff setup, and just get into the air. I do use quiet airports though and check on the map that there are no other players in the area that i might annoy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a very good idea Indeed!

1 Like

We actually have different servers, and some community flights choose to go to a far-off server to not disturb others (and at the same time have a more stable connection).

Maybe MS could provide additional server options that are not only regional but rather support different levels. The default would be the general server, but people who know about it could switch to more advanced servers where more realism is the target.

In a community you could even simply define one of the servers to be used by more realism-focused members, just choose a server with an entirely differen area than you’re flying at. You’ll notice far less regular multiplayer aircraft with this combination.

1 Like

Isolating your self isn’t the point of my post. You can fly from where ever you like. It will be a nice experience.

Just following the right procedures is a part of flightsiming. Otherwise how you will get the magic sense of flying despite the fact which that happens virtually.

Please feel free to take of and land from or to wherever like next to the rest of us, as long you are infront of me…

Just joking with you
Delete the last few words and enjoy flying.

You can turn off multiplayer aircraft and still have AI or Live (real) traffic. So if other players are bugging you you can turn them off and still see other traffic that hopefully behaves more realistically.

Also, for general multiplayer, you don’t hear the ATC calls other players make. When listening to the communications from ATC all you hear is the AI traffic. With this in mind I don’t think it’s fair to expect all other players to fly accurate circuits and behave in a way that fits your flying around an airfield.

Some airfields (eg, the landing challenges ones) are total mayhem and, to be honest, they can be a really fun environment but anyone trying to fly seriously would find it very off putting.

My advice would be, if it is ruining your enjoyment, turn off multiplayer, or find a private group with players who fly realistically and can actually hear each other’s ATC calls.

1 Like

I believe, but it might just be me as well, people are spawning on the runway because this is the only option they have. Once they do, they sit there for a while because it might take some time for them before being ready to taking off. I don’t blame, although this annoys me as well, because they aren’t given any other choice either. And this is the same for MP: they are not given the choice either. This is just a game option flaw which is easily solvable to me.

There are multiple issue I can see and it is not easy to apprehend because these are orthogonal concepts

The main reason people spawn on runway might be to save taxi time, but I believe it is more because the aircraft is ready to fly with all startup procedures already done. I personally don’t want to always start it all up and I like being able to quickly jump in and fly for example. I’m not saying my point of view is the same for everyone but I wouldn’t be surprised the main reason people do spawn on the RWY is because this is the only option for starting the simulator with an aircraft up and running. When I do spawn on the runway for this reason, the first thing I immediately do when pressing the “READY” button is pressing the Y key (slew mode) and quickly shift the position aside to free the RWY.

The other problem is people of different skills and different flying objectives. Some are just having fun and others want to fly by the book. It is not clear which MP lobby is appropriate. The “Live” lobby might be better suited for pilot-minded pilots from the standpoint of real time weather + time, but if you want to practice at certain locations and you can only do so at certain hours IRL, you have no other choice than using the “Normal” lobby instead. I believe lobbies shouldn’t be separated by real time weather and time, but by like-minded usage instead.

Because of these 2 main problems, you end up with a mix of people disrespecting the others, holding the runway fort and frustrated pilots.

This is why I believe it won’t require much for addressing these 2 main orthogonal issues:

1. Use a nudge to drive same minded pilots to the correct existing lobby. There is no need to create a collection of lobbies, the 2 existing are already sufficient for this. Eventually a 3rd one only for people flying with online networks like Vatsim or Pilotedge so that they don’t interfere with the other same minded pilots wanting to also fly by the book but under the FS2020 ATC system.

2. Prevent spawning anyone on the RWY. This is just common sense and I don’t care pilots piling up on the threshold instead of the RWY end: the most important is to preserve the landing pilot from obstruction first and foremost. Furthermore, in taking the habit of spawning on the threshold, especially if the “FLY NOW” button also displays a “LOOK FOR AIRCRAFT LANDING PRIOR ENGAGING ON THE RWY”, pilots will slowly but surely learn it is important to pay attention to this.

3. Add the option to start with the cockpit engines running and startup procedures done. This will refrain people from having to start at the RWY threshold only because otherwise they’d have to start from C&D cockpits.

With only this, not much to code and implement actually, it would already make a difference.

PS: the 1st option above is just changing the description text in the UI, the 2nd option is just changing the spawning point and the description in the UI, the 3rd option is just adding the code you’d run in the actual “spawn on runway” case. You see, not much to code and even test prior release. Can be done in 1/2 day by a single developer from the existing code base.

You might want to support these covering the ideas explained above:

Start with aircraft ready-to-fly or cold-and-dark option when spawning on RAMP/GATE
Help solving arcade and simmers players sharing the airspace with the help of a simple nudge
Make it impossible to spawn on runway in Live mode

1 Like

That seems to be more a feature of the airport design.

For example the payware SVSO Mayor Beunaventura Vista (very nice addon by the way) spawns you holding short by default.

2 Likes

lol I can’t believe people are complaining about multiplayer. I never once seen anyone even use ATC properly. JFK is such a mess for example and everyone just intercepts everyone else’s flight and take off. never thought someone would lose sleep over this.

That is because a lot of current players are non pilots and either new to flight sims or come from Combat Sims where anything (including take off and landing on taxiways) goes.

Trying to encourage some semblance of polite normal behaviour is not a bad thing even if you cannot enforce it.

If you are flying with friends on Vatsim or something of course the best solution is to only have your group show up in game rather than all players.

Ingame ATC is not for multiplayer. So you can’t know if they use ATC properly or not, you wouldn’t hear their requests.
You can only hear AI traffic.

1 Like

“We’re a team, and we do it my way” - Richie Benaud*

1 Like

Ahh I miss the good old days of private servers in flight sim.

1 Like

@CaffinatedPanda
I believe you can already do this with group lobbies isn’t it?

But for those who prefer encountering strangers like you’d experience IRL, it wouldn’t take much more to just make it a little bit more appropriate for like-minded pilots (see my post above), without precluding the capability for anyone to turn off MP if he/she doesn’t want to, nor the capability to privately fly in groups if he/she prefers to.

There are ways to split the community because one prefer A and another prefer B and no one will ever agree, and there are ways to implement both A and B preferences at the same time. It is like the heated discussion about VR controllers and those who prefer mouse: implementing VR controllers doesn’t preclude does preferring using the mouse to continue using it.

AI planes don’t stay in the same instance when you leave the sim. The instance you see them in is for that instance only. When you load back in, they will be gone or at a different point. What he is describing is an actual player.

To the OP: you will never control everyone as much as you want to. If this annoys you to the point to make a topic, turn off multiplayer.

1 Like

That’s too funny​:+1::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

True, but you can’t look up a server like before and just go there. Either a friend initiates or yourself hosts and friends join. Experience is the same, but not the same same.